The Student Room Group

Feel bad about putting my cat in a cattery to go on holiday :(

I feel like I'm betraying him and that he will be really nervous (because he doesn't like new environments). Just hoping he gets used to the new environment quickly.

Anyone have any experience with leaving their cats in a cattery?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He'll be there for 5 days, by the way
Just pay someone to come round your house everyday to feed and play with him.
Yeah, but when you think about it, the cat's going on holiday as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Just pay someone to come round your house everyday to feed and play with him.

We don't really feel good about getting someone to come in to our house while we're away. And the cattery works out cheaper
Reply 5
Original post by FightToWin
Yeah, but when you think about it, the cat's going on holiday as well.

That's what I thought but I hope he enjoys the holiday :/
Reply 6
I'm sure he will be fine xx
Reply 7
he's snuggled up in a ball sleeping next to me right now :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by Multifaceted
Cats are selfish so just remember that he doesn't care about betraying you either.

lol but I love him unconditionally, I don't care if he's selfish
Cats are selfish

Like pretty much all creatures in existence. :wink:
Reply 10
Cats are selfish so just remember that he doesn't care about betraying you either.

--
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by VSAngle
I'm sure he will be fine xx

I really hope so :/ x
Reply 12
Well, at least dogs care about their humans.

Cats care about their humans, too. They miss us when they don't see us for a few hours and come running to greet us when we're back home.
Reply 13
Original post by wonderuss
Cats care about their humans, too. They miss us when they don't see us for a few hours and come running to greet us when we're back home.

They also love human attention. We're valuable to them.
Reply 14
Nah, they run to you to for attention and once you've provided it, they're done with you.

What's wrong with them wanting attention from us? It shows that we're valuable to them.
Don’t worry soon the cats will dominate the world
Reply 16
They'd prefer a robot over you if it did the same thing. But sure, we'll go with valuable.

No they wouldn't. They would know it's not real and they only like humans. Cats can feel love/care from humans, they wouldn't feel anything from the robot.
Well, at least dogs care about their humans.

Idk, seems like anthropomorphisation of the animal to me. Dogs and cats have very different evolutionary strategies for survival. Cats are solitary predators. Does it mean they don't care about their "owner"? They probably express it in different ways. Equally, does the slavish adulation of a dog really constitute caring? I find it obsequious, which is why I don't keep them as pets. Such behaviour in a human would be seen as unhealthy dependence. Yet it is probably caring in a sense. Humans come somewhere in between the two species, which is why both their behaviours are odd to our eyes. Yet a dog is no less selfish for acting on impulses resulting from its evolutionary history, to ensure its survival and the propagation of its genes, than is a cat. Its behaviours simply arose in a different evolutionary context.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Wow. I would never leave somebody I loved like this.

How will you protect your cat?
Depends if it’s an outdoor or indoor cat. If it’s outdoor then it will be depressed. If indoor then it’ll be fine 🙃

Quick Reply

Latest