The Student Room Group

What should i do about my friend ?

So i have this friend and he's completely obsessed with this girl in my chemistry class who ik personally as friends but he knows alot less about her (she's in his biology class). He's always asking me for avice on how to approach her and he wants to ask her out and be her bf , this is great and all but

She's in a happy relationship with another guy

after i told him this initially i assumed he was gonna forget about , hahaha i was wrong. He messaged me the next day telling me he's gonna try and convince her to LEAVE HER CURRENT BF, at first i thought he was joking but he was actually serious about it :frown:

This girl comes up to me in chemistry class saying that my friend won't leave her alone and she doesn't want him spreading false rumors about her bf around the college and coming up to her in their biology class saying how much of a "better BF" he will be compared to her current one. Now if you know me personally i never stand for people breaking relationships up and stealing their Bf/Gf's . So i need help here about my friend because this girl is really upset over it and he's not gonna stop. Any ideas on what i should do with him.

TLDR: My friend is trying to steal another guys girlfriends who i know because of chemistry class , what should i do about it.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Tell your mate he's got a bad case of oneitis and give him a Neil Strauss book to read.

And stop being so moralistic yourself.

A boyfriend or a girlfriend - especially whilst still at college - is not someone else's property. There's nothing morally nor ethically wrong in outcompeting an existing boyfriend to become the new boyfriend of this young lady.
However it is ethically wrong to bad mouth someone. And it's not on to harass someone.
Oh yeh also the girls BF goes to another school hence why my friend is confident he can steal her from him :/
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Tell your mate he's got a bad case of oneitis and give him a Neil Strauss book to read.

A boyfriend or a girlfriend - especially whilst still at college - is not someone else's property. There's nothing morally nor ethically wrong in outcompeting an existing boyfriend to become the new boyfriend of this young lady.
However it is ethically wrong to bad mouth someone. And it's not on to harass someone.

so in your opinion my friend should be allowed to constantly harass her until she leaves her current bf and come with him and spreading rumours about her bf abusing her is just outcompeting , ok then

i'm not trying to make my friend look bad on here i'm just pointing out everything he is doing to her , and since i don't want to do anything rash i decided coming on here for advice
there's nothing wrong with him (i think so) i just want him to stop before he pushes things too far and it will end up coming back on him
Reply 5

It is still bad to pester her into leaving her boyfriend for him if she isn't happy so there isn't anyone being particularly moralistic. The friend is just annoying her so he needs to stop.
Original post by Bio 7
It is still bad to pester her into leaving her boyfriend for him if she isn't happy so there isn't anyone being particularly moralistic. The friend is just annoying her so he needs to stop.

exactly , she's literally said to him and to me that she dosen't want a relationship with him because she's happy with the guy she's already with , if that's not enough for him to stop doing what he's doing idk what is :frown:
ehh maybe there's something idk about. Maybe you're right though i'll probably just leave him to it
Original post by Ray_Shadows
so in your opinion my friend should be allowed to constantly harass her until she leaves her current bf and come with him and spreading rumours about her bf abusing her is just outcompeting , ok then

i'm not trying to make my friend look bad on here i'm just pointing out everything he is doing to her , and since i don't want to do anything rash i decided coming on here for advice
Re-read my first post in this thread again, please. Especially the last line.

I don't think I can make it any clearer that I do NOT approve of harassment nor spreading false rumours as they are, as I said: "ethically wrong" / "not on"

Same applies to Bio 7. Re-read my first post.

This is a case of it aint what you do it's the way that you do it. In this case the friend is doing it wrong.
(edited 6 years ago)
Re-read my first post in this thread again, please. Especially the last line.

I don't think I can make it any clearer that I do NOT approve of harassment nor spreading false rumours as they are, as I said: "ethically wrong" / "not on"

yes i did read that , my post was a response to the 2nd 3rd 4th line
yes i did read that , my post was a response to the 2nd 3rd 4th line
Yeah, but it's the final line in my first post that makes your post #5 in this thread complete nonsense, as you attributed the opposite to what I actually said.

But that's OK, we can all make English comprehension mistakes from time to time. And I realise my criticism of your moral stance on this "i never stand for people breaking relationships up and stealing their Bf/Gf's" might not have gone down well as no-one likes to be criticised.
Yeah, but it's the final line in my first post that makes your post #5 in this thread complete nonsense, as you attributed the opposite to what I actually said.

But that's OK, we can all make English comprehension mistakes from time to time. And I realise my criticism of your moral stance on this "i never stand for people breaking relationships up and stealing their Bf/Gf's" might not have gone down well as no-one likes to be criticised.

sorry bud but you said outcompeting in your fourth line and i said if, to you, harassing her is outcompeting , because that's what he's doing but then you said harassing her isn't tolerated , when i've clearly said he was harassing her you classed that as outcompeting . So you're kind of contradicting yourself here.

also cut the attitude because i'm trying to help my friend out here and this is serious issue for me
exactly , she's literally said to him and to me that she dosen't want a relationship with him because she's happy with the guy she's already with , if that's not enough for him to stop doing what he's doing idk what is :frown:

Maybe if she gives more reasons why she wont be with him? In your friends head her bf is the only thing standing in the way, and without the bf he has a chance. The girl needs to tell him she isn’t attracted to him, she will never be with him and to leave her alone, or find another way of getting that message through to him. It sounds like this guy needs a hard reality check.
Original post by cat_mac
Maybe if she gives more reasons why she wont be with him? In your friends head her bf is the only thing standing in the way, and without the bf he has a chance. The girl needs to tell him she isn’t attracted to him, she will never be with him and to leave her alone, or find another way of getting that message through to him. It sounds like this guy needs a hard reality check.

i think i said something about that in post 8

she has said that to him multiple times but he dosen't get the message :/
So i have this friend and he's completely obsessed with this girl in my chemistry class who ik personally as friends but he knows alot less about her (she's in his biology class). He's always asking me for avice on how to approach her and he wants to ask her out and be her bf , this is great and all but

She's in a happy relationship with another guy

after i told him this initially i assumed he was gonna forget about , hahaha i was wrong. He messaged me the next day telling me he's gonna try and convince her to LEAVE HER CURRENT BF, at first i thought he was joking but he was actually serious about it :frown:

This girl comes up to me in chemistry class saying that my friend won't leave her alone and she doesn't want him spreading false rumors about her bf around the college and coming up to her in their biology class saying how much of a "better BF" he will be compared to her current one. Now if you know me personally i never stand for people breaking relationships up and stealing their Bf/Gf's . So i need help here about my friend because this girl is really upset over it and he's not gonna stop. Any ideas on what i should do with him.

TLDR: My friend is trying to steal another guys girlfriends who i know because of chemistry class , what should i do about it.

Best way to try as hard as possible to get her to cut all contact with him. I've seen people like him. They won't give in easily. Make sure that she doesn't respond to anything he sends online and maybe block.

The biology class is a bigger issue. If she sits near him maybe try to explain the situation to the teacher and ask them to change the seating plan. Maybe if she's being so nice she shouldn't be.
Original post by cat_mac

Unfortunately it probably won't be as easy as just a no. He'll make up every excuse in his head to keep trying (from what it seems to me right now). If anyone else tries to tell him to stop he'll see them as getting in the way.
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Best way to try as hard as possible to get her to cut all contact with him. I've seen people like him. They won't give in easily. Make sure that she doesn't respond to anything he sends online and maybe block.

The biology class is a bigger issue. If she sits near him maybe try to explain the situation to the teacher and ask them to change the seating plan. Maybe if she's being so nice she shouldn't be.

yeh she has blocked him on facebook and instagram and snapchat because he constantly tried to add her

the worst thing in biology class is that she literally sits on the other side of room to him , and because the stationary cupboard is behind where she sits , he literally uses that as an excuse to go over to where she sits, it's even worse when they do practicals she tells me.
i think i said something about that in post 8

she has said that to him multiple times but he dosen't get the message :/

Damn. Is he hassling her in person or is it just on social media? If I were her I would block him on everything, and if he’s hassling irl I guess she has to keep saying no :no:
Original post by cat_mac
Damn. Is he hassling her in person or is it just on social media? If I were her I would block him on everything, and if he’s hassling irl I guess she has to keep saying no :no:

yeh she's blocked him on everything , i just feel so bad for her because she is a really nice person and she dosen't deserve this , but i don't wanna do anything to rash on my friend because of our history
Original post by cat_mac

I'm actually surprised that you've never heard of a situation like this. What with all the stories you tell us. No means try again to him.

yeh she's blocked him on everything , i just feel so bad for her because she is a really nice person and she dosen't deserve this , but i don't wanna do anything to rash on my friend because of our history

Tbh the most you can do is be rude. Tell him how it is that he's being horrible to her. Try to get the girl to not be so nice and tell her that she has to be honest with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending