The Student Room Group

Is an Archaeology degree from Oxford worthless?

Do people view Arch+Anth or CAAH as an "easy" route into Oxford?

Do they generally have lower grades?

Would it be better to apply for Classics or straight History?
I've never heard any disparaging remarks about Arch+Anth (or CAAH for that matter). Apply for the subject you want to study. Oxford can be hell if you're studying something that your heart's not entirely in!
Original post by londoncoin
Do people view Arch+Anth or CAAH as an "easy" route into Oxford?

Do they generally have lower grades?

Would it be better to apply for Classics or straight History?

Those are all degrees that you do because you're passionate about the subject - they will not make you rich, or even guarantee a job. Read what interests you, not what you think others will be more impressed by - that'll get old pretty fast.
If ever there were jokes made about subjects with low workload, it was generally about PPE.
Classical Arch is very relevant to today (more than you might think).
Who do you think was able to interpret results of the DNA analysis of Cheddar Man?
Who do you think is able to map out the historical geography of all nations in Europe, from the magdalenians to the bell-beakers to our y-dna adam.
The degree is very valuable, even though you may think it is quite obscure.
Also contrary to what you might think, CAAH is very competitive and there is no such thing as an easy route into Oxford/Cambridge.
Reply 6
Original post by erratic_deus
Also contrary to what you might think, CAAH is very competitive and there is no such thing as an easy route into Oxford/Cambridge.

I spoke to my boss in work about CAAH as she studied Classics at Oxford and scoffed that it was the "easy way in". But then it seems it's more competitive than Classics in sheer volume of applicants per place given? Or is it that they have lower grades?
Original post by londoncoin
I spoke to my boss in work about CAAH as she studied Classics at Oxford and scoffed that it was the "easy way in". But then it seems it's more competitive than Classics in sheer volume of applicants per place given? Or is it that they have lower grades?

That is one person.
Do you really think Oxbridge is for you if you can't differentiate objective and subjective phrases?
Reply 8
Original post by erratic_deus
That is one person.
Do you really think Oxbridge is for you if you can't differentiate objective and subjective phrases?

Sorry I just wondered if it was a common held belief among Oxford grads.

Oh wait haha, you're 15 and doing your GCSE's ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending