The Student Room Group

English Language Revision Tips?

ok so im targeted a grade 9 for both english language and literature, and so far, i only manage to get 7's and some 8's in all the english exams ive taken so far. im focusing on literature since there's quite a lot to know so... how do you actually revise for it lmao?
for people who got 7-9s last year, what did you guys do? was your revision successful? what do i bother not doing? im going to buy all those 'york notes' books soon but are they actually useful?
and honestly... how many quotes do i really need to learn (to be completely safe) for each book?

OH btw, my class is studying: Animal Farm, Power and Conflict Poems, Macbeth and A Christmas Carol.

also, how much time did you spend revising for english compared to your other subjects? bc ngl, ive been totally neglecting english, like i barely revise for it :/ but that's why im asking so i can actually start hahah.. GCSEs are a few months away now so i really need to start getting on top of my sh*t ://

and for people who achieved grade 8-9, how did you guys write? like how many quotes did u use, how did u structure your paragraphs etc... what did you do and what did you revise to get in to the 'top band'? idk ashdjhas i guess im getting quite a lot of pressure to do well rn and i really dont know where to start :frown:

but yesss, any help and guidance will be grately appreciated! thank you <3
Original post by marktuan
ok so im targeted a grade 9 for both english language and literature, and so far, i only manage to get 7's and some 8's in all the english exams ive taken so far. im focusing on literature since there's quite a lot to know so... how do you actually revise for it lmao?
for people who got 7-9s last year, what did you guys do? was your revision successful? what do i bother not doing? im going to buy all those 'york notes' books soon but are they actually useful?
and honestly... how many quotes do i really need to learn (to be completely safe) for each book?

OH btw, my class is studying: Animal Farm, Power and Conflict Poems, Macbeth and A Christmas Carol.

also, how much time did you spend revising for english compared to your other subjects? bc ngl, ive been totally neglecting english, like i barely revise for it :/ but that's why im asking so i can actually start hahah.. GCSEs are a few months away now so i really need to start getting on top of my sh*t ://

and for people who achieved grade 8-9, how did you guys write? like how many quotes did u use, how did u structure your paragraphs etc... what did you do and what did you revise to get in to the 'top band'? idk ashdjhas i guess im getting quite a lot of pressure to do well rn and i really dont know where to start :frown:

but yesss, any help and guidance will be grately appreciated! thank you <3

Just use the Mr Bruff books and videos. There are plenty of other videos on grade 9 exemplars on youtube. If you practice enough and use the mark schemes as well then you can get an idea what they look for. The exemplar answers where he marks peoples work are insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Just use the Mr Bruff books and videos. There are plenty of other videos on grade 9 exemplars on youtube. If you practice enough and use the mark schemes as well then you can get an idea what they look for. The exemplar answers where he marks peoples work are insightful.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mrbruff/playlists

ahh yh i heard about mr bruff, ok thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending