The Student Room Group

about volunteering...

hi,

so I want to volunteer but I feel guilty I have more interest in the Syria Crisis etc. then issues in this country like homelessness. I feel like if I dedicate myself to one cause, I'd get slated for not looking out for people in this country who are vulnerable.

also, I'm lacking leadership and team working skills so how could get volunteering help me with that? (bit of a stupid question I know)

and... can't stop thinking that I'm not good enough to volunteer for some organisations.

idk what I'm looking for here tbh, but I guess if you've been in similar situations, tell me about them.
thanks
Original post by Ua3142
hi,

so I want to volunteer but I feel guilty I have more interest in the Syria Crisis etc. then issues in this country like homelessness. I feel like if I dedicate myself to one cause, I'd get slated for not looking out for people in this country who are vulnerable.

also, I'm lacking leadership and team working skills so how could get volunteering help me with that? (bit of a stupid question I know)

and... can't stop thinking that I'm not good enough to volunteer for some organisations.

idk what I'm looking for here tbh, but I guess if you've been in similar situations, tell me about them.
thanks

There are charities that deal with refugees and asylum seekers.
Volunteer for one of those and you are sorted.

https://do-it.org/
Original post by Ua3142
I want to volunteer but I feel guilty I have more interest in the Syria Crisis etc. then issues in this country like homelessness. I feel like if I dedicate myself to one cause, I'd get slated for not looking out for people in this country who are vulnerable.

Perfectly fine. The fact you want to volunteer is better than the thousands of others who won't even try.

Original post by Ua3142

Not stupid at all. No matter what you do when volunteering, you can take on a larger role with the others also volunteering. For example, I volunteer each week and find 9/10 people just want to be told what to do to help. Taking the lead, not stepping on toes, and being helpful to focus the efforts of the group are great initiation into leadership. Find out why others are volunteering. Ask them how long they've volunteered. Ask for suggestions of other locations to volunteer. By you listening, you're honing your skills when you become part of a larger group.

Original post by Ua3142

I don't understand. Do you feel you don'thave the skills? Do you feel you'd have nothing to contribute? Do you feel you can't commit the time? btw, spending an hour volunteering is 100+% better than spending zero.

Let me know if any of this was murky.
Reply 3
Original post by Apocalyps
Perfectly fine. The fact you want to volunteer is better than the thousands of others who won't even try.

Not stupid at all. No matter what you do when volunteering, you can take on a larger role with the others also volunteering. For example, I volunteer each week and find 9/10 people just want to be told what to do to help. Taking the lead, not stepping on toes, and being helpful to focus the efforts of the group are great initiation into leadership. Find out why others are volunteering. Ask them how long they've volunteered. Ask for suggestions of other locations to volunteer. By you listening, you're honing your skills when you become part of a larger group.

I don't understand. Do you feel you don'thave the skills? Do you feel you'd have nothing to contribute? Do you feel you can't commit the time? btw, spending an hour volunteering is 100+% better than spending zero.

Let me know if any of this was murky.

Hi, by not good enough to volunteer, what you said is pretty much what I mean. Thanks for the reply, it was really helpful and reassuring. Soz for the late reply 🙈

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending