The Student Room Group

How easy is it to switch courses at these Unis?

As a result of wanting to apply for radically different courses I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with switching university courses at Exeter, Bristol, Warwick or Bath - would be applying for classics and switching to marketing or business malarkey.
I will probably get > 3As
Clarification: I'm in y12 and will apply for classics at Oxford no question - however this knackers my personal statement so :/ would submit this to all the other unis with classics but would then switch once at the uni?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninjaliv
As a result of wanting to apply for radically different courses I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with switching university courses at Exeter, Bristol, Warwick or Bath - would be applying for classics and switching to marketing or business malarkey.

So you want to apply to classics at all four then switch? why aren't you applying to business or marketing in the first place?
Reply 2
I'm not sure if this is what you meant but if you want to change course choices at a university you've applied to you will need to contact them immediately (I would going on the course page on the uni website and email the course email) and let them know you would like to change course to theirs. They will probably ask you to submit a new personal statement by email for that course or they might have other requirements but they would let you know (Don't forget to tell them your important details such as UCAS ID number, Subject choices and predicted grades) I recently just changed my course choice at Leeds and that's what I had to do!!
Its not a hard thing to do just ask them and see but the quicker the more likely they'll accept you for the new course :smile:

Hope this was a relevant answer and helped you out a bit or anyone reading this!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

Have you already applied?

If not settle on a specific course at the outset and apply accordingly. Much easier than trying to change courses at a university, especially when they might not have places available for you to switch into.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
So you want to apply to classics at all four then switch? why aren't you applying to business or marketing in the first place?

I will apply for classics at Oxford no question. Unfortunatly my personal statement then becomes knackered :/
I will apply for classics at Oxford no question. Unfortunatly my personal statement then becomes knackered :/

So oxford is the only place you'd consider studying classics?
Reply 6

So next year you want to apply for Classics at Oxford and business/management at your other four choices?

Well another option is to apply to Classics at The Other Place (Cambridge) instead. You then use their SAQ to provide an additional PS just for Cambridge. And write your main UCAS PS just for business/management.

I don't know how Oxford would view a similar scenario. I'll tag @BrasenoseAdm for you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by fifi.a
I'm not sure if this is what you meant but if you want to change course choices at a university you've applied to you will need to contact them immediately (I would going on the course page on the uni website and email the course email) and let them know you would like to change course to theirs. They will probably ask you to submit a new personal statement by email for that course or they might have other requirements but they would let you know (Don't forget to tell them your important details such as UCAS ID number, Subject choices and predicted grades) I recently just changed my course choice at Leeds and that's what I had to do!!
Its not a hard thing to do just ask them and see but the quicker the more likely they'll accept you for the new course :smile:

Hope this was a relevant answer and helped you out a bit or anyone reading this!

Thank you omg this is so helpful
Reply 8

Oxfordddddd classics lol
Reply 9
So oxford is the only place you'd consider studying classics?

yup
Reply 10
Original post by Doonesbury
So next year you want to apply for Classics at Oxford and business/management at your other four choices?

Well another option is to apply to Classics at The Other Place (Cambridge) instead. You then use their SAQ to provide an additional PS just for Cambridge. And write your main UCAS PS just for business/management.

I don't know how Oxford would view a similar scenario. I'll tag @BrasenoseAdm for you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is this SAQ? ( sorry i haven't been through the ucas system yet ) :smile:

For cambridge there's an additional form they send you to fill in which covers what you've studied at school and other info they can't get through ucas, such as class size.
One section consists of a second, shorter(only 1200 characters if I remember correctly) personal statement. Why only classic at cambridge/oxford and otherwise business management, they're very different subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by AzureCeleste
For cambridge there's an additional form they send you to fill in which covers what you've studied at school and other info they can't get through ucas, such as class size.
One section consists of a second, shorter(only 1200 characters if I remember correctly) personal statement. Why only classic at cambridge/oxford and otherwise business management, they're very different subjects.

Employment after classics is sketchy, and the only redeeming factor for future prospects is the Oxford badge
Employment after classics is sketchy, and the only redeeming factor for future prospects is the Oxford badge

Wouldn't you rather do a course you enjoy though?
Or do you enjoy business just as much?
Reply 14

It's entirely specific to Cambridge: Supplementary Application Questionnaire.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

No other university has this although some, for example Durham, do allow you to send an extra PS if they have a specific course you wish to study. I don't think Oxford has this but Brasenose will confirm or make a suggestion in due course.
Reply 15
Original post by AzureCeleste
Wouldn't you rather do a course you enjoy though?
Or do you enjoy business just as much?

i enjoy both equally
Reply 16
i enjoy both equally

maybe consider a liberal arts degree (at Durham maybe) that way you can cover a range of subjects in your PS and if your good enough for a interview you should get one
i enjoy both equally

So you are essentially going to apply to oxford purely for the prestige aspect? I'd personally stick to the one application for business, it's safer and if you enjoy both why apply to oxford get rejected. Then the other unis may not accept a second PS(you'd need to find out) and so you'd need to take a gap year....just something to think about
Original post by Doonesbury

Thanks for the summons.

Good scores for the CAT and written work plus strong prior/predicted attainment (contextualised for GCSE) will most likely determine whether or not an interview invitation materialises. Beyond that, there will inevitably be less space on the PS to devote to Classics or Business/Management. Plus at interview it would be reasonable to ask about the reasons for pursuing business/management elsewhere.

These are our thoughts.

Brasenose Admissions
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fifi.a

Hi I have already applied but haven't started uni yet but i would like to switch course. what do u recommend i do? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending