The Student Room Group

Dropping out of uni

I've pretty much decided to drop out. I've realized that I'm too ill with anxiety to do this and I'm sick of exams and deadlines. I've missed 4 months of uni work and my teachers have said that it will be extremely difficult to catch up.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxVENUSx
I've pretty much decided to drop out. I've realized that I'm too ill with anxiety to do this and I'm sick of exams and deadlines. I've missed 4 months of uni work and my teachers have said that it will be extremely difficult to catch up.

have you spoken to anyone at your university about this?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
have you spoken to anyone at your university about this?

I've talked to an attendance officer about why I've missed so much and she said that I could catch up but I have problems with depression, anxiety as well as physical health problems which are hindering my studying abilities. There's no way I can catch up on 5 months of missed work
tell your mental health peoples at your uni and apply for extenuating circumstances. That way you get the help you need and your exam performance will be judged lightly if you get the extenuating circumstances.
Reply 4
Original post by whydoidothis?
tell your mental health peoples at your uni and apply for extenuating circumstances. That way you get the help you need and your exam performance will be judged lightly if you get the extenuating circumstances.

There's no way that I can catch up with the work even if I was well. I'm too scared to go to lectures or classes due to the amount of work I've missed. I know I'll completely fail this year, I've missed loads of deadlines and failed a few tests/essays due to non submission.
There's no way that I can catch up with the work even if I was well. I'm too scared to go to lectures or classes due to the amount of work I've missed. I know I'll completely fail this year, I've missed loads of deadlines and failed a few tests/essays due to non submission.

dropping it to hopefully work on your mental health could be the best option for you
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
dropping it to hopefully work on your mental health could be the best option for you

You're right, I just don't know what to do after I leave. I want to work in IT but I have no formal experience. I really don't want to end up working in a dead end job
Reply 7
You're right, I just don't know what to do after I leave. I want to work in IT but I have no formal experience. I really don't want to end up working in a dead end job

I'm worried that I won't be able to get a good job without a degree, this is just ****
Absolutely foolish to drop out. You will have wasted over £10,000 in student loans for NOTHING. You will be back to where you were on A-Level results day at 18. Don't be a quitter. Finish what you started.

I went through an awful time last semester, I wanted to run away and quit. I got a grip started doing all-nighters to get myself where I needed to be and made it through with 60%. I learnt alot about what I was doing wrong in terms of time management and studying. Failure is where you grow. If you fall hard you'll bounce back up even harder. You're a basketball dude.
Reply 9
Original post by rickyrossman
Absolutely foolish to drop out. You will have wasted over £10,000 in student loans for NOTHING. You will be back to where you were on A-Level results day at 18. Don't be a quitter. Finish what you started.

I went through an awful time last semester, I wanted to run away and quit. I got a grip started doing all-nighters to get myself where I needed to be and made it through with 60%. I learnt alot about what I was doing wrong in terms of time management and studying. Failure is where you grow. If you fall hard you'll bounce back up even harder. You're a basketball dude.

I've only done 1 term, not anywhere near £10000 debt, only about 4000ish. There is no way that I can catch up on 5 months of missed work. I have no motivation to work or even get out of bed, how the hell am I supposed to do 5 months of work? I'm supposed to do a group presentation when I haven't gone to that class once since I started in October!
I've only done 1 term, not anywhere near £10000 debt, only about 4000ish. There is no way that I can catch up on 5 months of missed work. I have no motivation to work or even get out of bed, how the hell am I supposed to do 5 months of work? I'm supposed to do a group presentation when I haven't gone to that class once since I started in October!

If you've already made your decision why u coming here asking for advice? You're sick of deadlines? Well guess what kid you're gonna drown in the real world. You have anxiety??? Are you serious right now?

GET A GRIP!

God I am shamed to be a millennial. My generation are such whiny *****.
Reply 11
If you've already made your decision why u coming here asking for advice? You're sick of deadlines? Well guess what kid you're gonna drown in the real world. You have anxiety??? Are you serious right now?

GET A GRIP!

God I am shamed to be a millennial. My generation are such whiny *****.

How am I whiny? I've had severe anxiety for years, what's the point in staying and failing due to attendance?
Try and get your health in order first. SFE gives a grace year and you have valid circumstances.

Probably best you return with a clear mind.
How am I whiny? I've had severe anxiety for years, what's the point in staying and failing due to attendance?

Everyone else on this website is gonna kiss your ass and say 'drop out, its not worth it if you have anxiety'. But you're gonna regret it when you're 40 working a dead-end job. IT is brilliant for $$$ and you won't have to suck up to anyone if you become a high-flying software consultant.

Listen to yourself for god sakes. 'I'm sick of exams and deadlines' Are you serious? Dude, men our age 80 years ago were conscripted into the british army to fight the germans. They stormed the beach of Normandy in the freezing cold water to save the frenchies. You think they'd complain about anxiety and deadlines? I wouldn't be so hard on you if you were a chick but come on dude. Uni is like what, 6-10 hours a week? If you work hard you could easily get a weeks or even two weeks of work done in a day. I know because I've done it before.

Look at Arnold Schwarznegger, dude grew up poor in war-torn austria and he became a top actor, politician and bodybuilder. You're telling me your anxiety is stopping you from getting up and doing exams!?!?!?!? F-C-K YOU SERIOUSLY!

I’ve always figured out that there 24 hours a day. You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend.
Arnold Schwarzenegger
Reply 14
Everyone else on this website is gonna kiss your ass and say 'drop out, its not worth it if you have anxiety'. But you're gonna regret it when you're 40 working a dead-end job. IT is brilliant for $$$ and you won't have to suck up to anyone if you become a high-flying software consultant.

Listen to yourself for god sakes. 'I'm sick of exams and deadlines' Are you serious? Dude, men our age 80 years ago were conscripted into the british army to fight the germans. They stormed the beach of Normandy in the freezing cold water to save the frenchies. You think they'd complain about anxiety and deadlines? I wouldn't be so hard on you if you were a chick but come on dude. Uni is like what, 6-10 hours a week? If you work hard you could easily get a weeks or even two weeks of work done in a day. I know because I've done it before.

Look at Arnold Schwarznegger, dude grew up poor in war-torn austria and he became a top actor, politician and bodybuilder. You're telling me your anxiety is stopping you from getting up and doing exams!?!?!?!? F-C-K YOU SERIOUSLY!

I’ve always figured out that there 24 hours a day. You sleep six hours and have 18 hours left. Now, I know there are some of you out there that say well, wait a minute, I sleep eight hours or nine hours. Well, then, just sleep faster, I would recommend.
Arnold Schwarzenegger

You've never suffered from mental illness before, have you...
You've never suffered from mental illness before, have you...

I guess there's no helping people like you. Its like talking to a brick wall. You deserve to fail if that your attitude.

For your information I am a recovering addict so yes I have suffered from mental illness.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 16
I guess there's no helping people like you. Its like talking to a brick wall. You deserve to fail if that your attitude.

For your information I am a recovering alcoholic so yes I have suffered from mental illness.

I've missed 4 deadlines and 2 exams, I've missed 5 months of lessons and I'm so behind. Even the teachers said that it would be extremely difficult to catch up.
You're a bit of a knob
I've missed 4 deadlines and 2 exams, I've missed 5 months of lessons and I'm so behind. Even the teachers said that it would be extremely difficult to catch up.
You're a bit of a knob

You're goddamn right I'm a knob. Not just a bit. You need some tough love.
Reply 18
You're goddamn right I'm a knob. Not just a bit. You need some tough love.

Tough love doesn't work for severe mental illness.

If you've missed as much as it sounds you have, then realistically you're probably not going to be able to complete the year, even if you submit extenuating circumstances. If you've missed the teaching and a lot of the assessments, you'd find it difficult to catch up even if you're allowed to do the work over the summer. There's probably too much.

What you need to think about if whether to withdraw completely now (and maybe consider in a few years whether to apply again); or alternatively to ask your university if they'll permit you to withdraw for the rest of the academic year and start the year again in September. In the interim, get the help and support you need to get your mental health back in order.

Also consider whether you're doing a course that really interests you. If you're struggling to be enthused by it, it's going to be more difficult to motivate yourself; and as you've found, once you start missing lectures and skipping work it becomes more and more difficult to catch up.

Bear in mind that university isn't for everyone; or at least not at age 18. There are other routes into careers than getting a degree.

Talk to the student support people at your university; be honest with them; and find out what your options are. And do this as soon as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending