The Student Room Group

e^x graph transformation

how do i know what e^(2x + 1) intersect at? and start at?
Erm.. what?

Are you asking about the axes intersections? What do you mean by 'start at' ??
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Erm.. what?

Are you asking about the axes intersections? What do you mean by 'start at' ??

yes y intersection and start at as in the asymptote if that makes sense? so e^x is asymptotic to the line y=0 and intersects at y=1
(edited 6 years ago)
y intersection is given by substituting x=0x=0 into the eq.

As for the asymptote, note that there exists a sequence of transformations from exe^x and e2x+1e^{2x+1} which doesn't have anything to do with the y-axis/direction, so the horizontal asymptote y=0 is unchanged. Alternative, observe what value this function approaches as xx \rightarrow -\infty
Reply 4
To find the y-intercept, you simply plug x=0x=0 into the function. And the intercept can be found by taking the asymptote of exe^x and adding to it the constant by which the new function has been translated up
Reply 5
y intersection is given by substituting x=0x=0 into the eq.

As for the asymptote, note that there exists a sequence of transformations from exe^x and e2x+1e^{2x+1} which doesn't have anything to do with the y-axis/direction, so the horizontal asymptote y=0 is unchanged. Alternative, observe what value this function approaches as xx \rightarrow -\infty

Original post by MR1999
To find the y-intercept, you simply plug x=0x=0 into the function. And the intercept can be found by taking the asymptote of exe^x and adding to it the constant by which the new function has been translated up

can u tell me why e^2x intersects at y=2 plz? thank you
It doesn't... it intersects the y-axis at 1!
Reply 7
Its one
Reply 8
It doesn't... it intersects the y-axis at 1!

sorry, what about e^2x + 1. the +1 isnt part of the power, it intersects at y=2
Yes, and it should be obvious why by what I've already said in this thread.

Plug in x=0
Yes, and it should be obvious why by what I've already said in this thread.

Plug in x=0

oooo i just see it now thanks

Quick Reply