The Student Room Group

Oxford Advice

I am a Scottish student and I only became properly interested in University in the past year, my grades at National 5 (Equivalent GCSE) was AAAABBB, I have seen Most students applying to Oxbridge get all As/ A*s. I hope to get all As at Higher but is it too late/worth applying? Any advice hugely appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by lucadelp
I am a Scottish student and I only became properly interested in University in the past year, my grades at National 5 (Equivalent GCSE) was AAAABBB, I have seen Most students applying to Oxbridge get all As/ A*s. I hope to get all As at Higher but is it too late/worth applying? Any advice hugely appreciated.

I have just received an offer to study Law and I got As and A*s at GCSE but I also got some Bs and 1 C! It’s not the end by any means! They’re looking for more than someone who is good at GCSEs because the jump from GCSEs to A-Level is massive and there is an even bigger jump to a degree.

Some people excel in their GCSEs but cannot take that on to a higher level for whatever reason. A-Level performance will be important along with your personal statement and reference. Then, if invited to interview, that also plays a part. Any exams like the LNAT, BMAT etc are also taken into account.

They will too look at it in a contextual manner. Taking your background, where you live, the school you attend and pretty much everything else into account and how that may have affected achievement!
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
I have just received an offer to study Law and I got As and A*s at GCSE but I also got some Bs and 1 C! It’s not the end by any means! They’re looking for more than someone who is good at GCSEs because the jump from GCSEs to A-Level is massive and there is an even bigger jump to a degree.

Some people excel in their GCSEs but cannot take that on to a higher level for whatever reason. A-Level performance will be important along with your personal statement and reference. Then, if invited to interview, that also plays a part. Any exams like the LNAT, BMAT etc are also taken into account.

They will too look at it in a contextual manner. Taking your background, where you live, the school you attend and pretty much everything else into account and how that may have affected achievement!

totally changed my mind, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending