The Student Room Group

Which degrees are most likely to guarantee quick, well-paid employment?

It's mostly doom and gloom on this site and people say the market is oversaturated even for STEM, so I'm wondering which degrees people are actually positive about?

I guess I'll put my hat in the ring and say Medicine. If you manage to get on a medical course and don't drop out, you're practically guaranteed success.

Scroll to see replies

If you want a guarantee buy a used car.

medicine for the reason that the number of places for UK students is limited to less than the number of vacancies which artificially creates scarsity.

apart from that picking a degree with statistically high employability doesn't help you very much if you're not doing the placements, internships, volunteering etc that your coursemates are.
high employment stats are an average, not a promise... It's entirely possible to bugger it up for yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
If you want a guarantee buy a used car.

medicine for the reason that the number of places for UK students is limited to less than the number of vacancies which artificially creates scarsity.

apart from that picking a degree with statistically high employability doesn't help you very much if you're not doing the placements, internships, volunteering etc that your coursemates are.
high employment stats are an average, not a promise... It's entirely possible to bugger it up for yourself.

Aye but I said degrees most likely to be a guarantee. There are some degrees that even with volunteering etc you'll have an extremely tough time of it.
Engineering. Just leave UK and go Dubai or somewhere in middle east, easy money.
Reply 4
I think degrees like MORSE/ MORS do pretty well for employability. Quantity Surveying does at the moment but not if construction goes into recession.
Aside from vocational ones like Nursing and Medicine I'd say Engineering and Computer Science. Getting a decent grade in these degrees requires plenty of motivation/hard work, so I wouldn't say it's 'easy' though.
Just go for finance jobs
something like economics, accounting or business
The P is there
Economics
Original post by gamendes
Aside from vocational ones like Nursing and Medicine I'd say Engineering and Computer Science. Getting a decent grade in these degrees requires plenty of motivation/hard work, so I wouldn't say it's 'easy' though.

Computer Science has high unemployment rates. What is your comment on that?
Original post by HighFructose

Seems pretty good, average of around 80% in a career after 6 months, quite a few unis in the 90s as well. Starting salaries aren't bad either.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-guide-2018-league-table-for-computer-science-information
(edited 6 years ago)
With a computer science related degree you should be able to get a decent graduate job straight out of uni without much effort, as long as you get a 2:1
Original post by gamendes
Seems pretty good, average of around 80% in a career after 6 months, quite a few unis in the 90s as well. Starting salaries aren't bad either.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-guide-2018-league-table-for-computer-science-information

Ok but then you also have this:
https://www.studyinternational.com/news/uk-computer-science-has-the-highest-rate-of-unemployed-graduates/
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
With a computer science related degree you should be able to get a decent graduate job straight out of uni without much effort, as long as you get a 2:1

Also depends on university IMO, some of the (lower-tier) university courses don't even have maths modules.
Furthermore, if you can't code, you would be useless even with a 2:1.
Original post by Sidian
Aye but I said degrees most likely to be a guarantee. There are some degrees that even with volunteering etc you'll have an extremely tough time of it.

Haven't yet seen any unis advertising 'earn £25k per year within 12 months of graduating or your money back'... maybe it'll be coming soon.
Original post by HighFructose

Thats because lots of other subjects such as Web Design and ICT are included under 'Computer Science' Furthermore, many CS'ers study their subject at a post-92 institution which doesn't make it any better. I can guarantee if you do CS at a RG university and you do placements you'll have 0 problems finding employment.
Original post by Sidian
It's mostly doom and gloom on this site and people say the market is oversaturated even for STEM, so I'm wondering which degrees people are actually positive about?

I guess I'll put my hat in the ring and say Medicine. If you manage to get on a medical course and don't drop out, you're practically guaranteed success.

5-6 years of studying, 2 years foundation training, 3-10+ years GP or speciality training before you earn a decent amount. Doesn't sound that "quick" to me.

But degrees that are pretty guaranteed to get you a job by virtue of doing them are medicine, dentistry, vet med, nursing, pharmacy and other allied health professions (diagnostic radiography, optometry, etc). Pay is decent but not stellar due to the government funded nature of the NHS.

No other degree guarantees you anything, at all.

It's completely and utterly down to a combination of your: university name (for some careers), course (for some careers), CV (grades, experience, leadership, ECs etc), application question answers/cover letters and psychometric testing abilities whether you get an interview or not. Once you get an interview (or interviews), it's down to your ability to pass it/them.. be they video, assessment centres, face to face, technical, case study, presentation etc whatever.

Anyone who can jump through all of those hoops will get a pretty well paid job, regardless of subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by rickyrossman
Thats because lots of other subjects such as Web Design and ICT are included under 'Computer Science' Furthermore, many CS'ers study their subject at a post-92 institution which doesn't make it any better. I can guarantee if you do CS at a RG university and you do placements you'll have 0 problems finding employment.

hey real quick I know this is off topic, but would you say me going to Strathclyde (non RG uni) for Computer Science over University of Liverpool (RG uni) wouild be a bad idea? The difference in tuition fees for me would be massive, but I don't want to make the wrong decision to save a bit of money...
Original post by mrchristofer
hey real quick I know this is off topic, but would you say me going to Strathclyde (non RG uni) for Computer Science over University of Liverpool (RG uni) wouild be a bad idea? The difference in tuition fees for me would be massive, but I don't want to make the wrong decision to save a bit of money...

Certainly not a bad idea at all. Strathclyde is great for engineering and computer science. Furthermore, the IT industry has no care in the world where you get your degree from; its all about how much work experience you get. So make sure you get internships whilst at Strathclyde.
Economics at a decent uni is a good deal
Original post by rickyrossman
Certainly not a bad idea at all. Strathclyde is great for engineering and computer science. Furthermore, the IT industry has no care in the world where you get your degree from; its all about how much work experience you get. So make sure you get internships whilst at Strathclyde.

Yeah I got an offer for Software Engineering at Strathclyde (which is identical to their CS course but with a year in industry). Good to know I'm not shooting myself in the foot if I choose to go in that direction :biggrin: Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest