The Student Room Group

Don't know if my dad is straight

So one time I was using my dad's computer because mine was broken, but I didn't really want him to see my internet history or be able to log into any of my things so I went to go and delete the internet history. As I was selecting the websites to get rid of I noticed he had been searching for 'glasgow gay saunas'. He would sometimes go away for work and around that time he went to glasgow.
Honestly scarred me because that's quite extreme.

My mum sometimes jokes with us that my dad acts gay because he can be quite particular about things and he's not super alpha. He does go to the gym but he also plays golf, used to love the theatre, tries to act all upper middle class and cultured, loves clothes shopping, loves abba and beyonce, wears concealer, he also does this posh phone/public speaking voice that sounds quite gay. I know I sound like I'm stereotyping a lot, but he's just not very macho, I always used to just put it down to being very middle class.

I should add both him and my mum are generally quite homophobic.

I never use his computer anymore so I don't know what's on there now, I'd be too scared to look. But it makes me wonder what he's actually doing when he goes away for work. He also went to an all boys boarding school so god knows what he's gotten up to. And whenever I now see him interacting with other men it makes me think does he like them?

My parents have been close to divorcing a few times, and I can't picture my mum with anyone new but I could almost imagine my dad with a boyfriend. I try not to think about it too much but when that 'gay sauna' thing pops into my head it messes me up.

Also I totally get being curious but it just makes me feel a bit uneasy as he's married.

Scroll to see replies

tbh how your dad gets his jollies is none of your business. he has clearly provided you with a comfortable life for which you should be grateful.
Maybe he has AIDS? I am not trolling b/c if your mother and father are having sex it maybe something to factor in when considering if you are gonna tell her.
Does it matter? Nope.
Is it any of your business? Nope.

He's a grown adult and your parent's relationship is private, you're just a byproduct and have no need to know the ins and outs of their business.
Reply 4
Original post by karl pilkington
Maybe he has AIDS? I am not trolling b/c if your mother and father are having sex it maybe something to factor in when considering if you are gonna tell her.

I would feel so awkward telling her, I don't think I could. Plus right now their relationship is already so rocky and I can't handle a divorce right now
I dont know why people are saying it doesnt matter? Cause it sure as hell does.

Just dont bring it up.
Original post by Anonymous
I would feel so awkward telling her, I don't think I could. Plus right now their relationship is already so rocky and I can't handle a divorce right now

Do you think he has actually visited gay saunas and had gay sex?
It might not be any of his business if this was a stranger or a random friend, but this is his own dad. This will possibly come as a shock and make him rethink all his past memories of him as someone who is different to how he actually is.

It’s not homophobic for this to have an impact on a child, that’s why it’s different.
Reply 8
Do you think he has actually visited gay saunas and had gay sex?

If he's googled it and knows about them then I'm thinking he might have given it a go. Don't really like the image of it though. It's weird to imagine him intimate with a man. He doesn't need to go away for work as much these days but he does often go out all day for "golf" and "hikes". Recently had a school reunion as well. What if these are all just covers for what he's actually getting up to?
Reply 9
Lol please tell me more
Reply 10
When you said he liked ABBA and Beyonce it was basically gay confirmed from that moment on
The role of children in their parents' sex lives should be the same as the other way around: not there at all.

You could also look at your own prejudices:

'glasgow gay saunas'... Honestly scarred me because that's quite extreme.
Original post by unprinted
The role of children in their parents' sex lives should be the same as the other way around: not there at all.

You could also look at your own prejudices:

I'm sexually curious as well and totally up for gay saunas. But I meant that it's quite an extreme image to imagine. Not just him searching 'glasgow gay bars' or 'glasgow gay lap dance'. It's him seeking sex
Fs he's probably shagged my dad. I'm guessing his family knows about him then? If he has a business associated with his name?
Yeah maybe. I don't know why she'd still be so openly homophobic though. I don't even think she fully understands gay people tbh, she had quite a sheltered upbringing. She also couldn't even tell that her blatantly gay hairdresser was gay. She thought he was flirting with her.
ask him if you can go with him to the gay sauna
I 100% understand your concern. Your dad finding a new partner possibly is definitely hard, but if it bothers you, just stay quiet about it for a bit. If the topic comes up somehow, hint about being open and the such. Say you're glad to talk to him, and simply be nice about it so he doesn't get scared about the situation. Although, I feel everyone would be uncomfortable thinking about their parents with someone, so that's not too much of a concern. Just be welcoming about anything he would want to talk to you about. I would say ask your mum about your dad's past but that might be too invasive. If more things appear without you digging for it, you might want to calmly ask him if everything is alright between him and your mum.Wish the best
If he's googled it and knows about them then I'm thinking he might have given it a go. Don't really like the image of it though. It's weird to imagine him intimate with a man. He doesn't need to go away for work as much these days but he does often go out all day for "golf" and "hikes". Recently had a school reunion as well. What if these are all just covers for what he's actually getting up to?

Why don't you try and find more out like put a keylogger on the computer or look at his phone history etc
Why don't you try and find more out like put a keylogger on the computer or look at his phone history etc

I don't even know if I want to find out more. I don't really want it to be real which is why I've never even mentioned it to anyone in real life. Wanted to offload though and was kind of hoping people on here would say I'm being silly and it doesn't mean anything
I'm sexually curious as well and totally up for gay saunas. But I meant that it's quite an extreme image to imagine. Not just him searching 'glasgow gay bars' or 'glasgow gay lap dance'. It's him seeking sex

Parents want sex, shock. Sometimes casual anonymous sex with people other than their partners.

Would it help to imagine he looks them up in order to disapprove?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending