The Student Room Group

Will not having a Facebook hinder my freshers experience?

I've noticed that most people chat to other freshers on facebook before going to uni and yeah I was wondering if not having a facebook will leave me outcasted a little? I'm introverted as is so idk

also will I not be aware of certain freshers events etc??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by skittyjen
I've noticed that most people chat to other freshers on facebook before going to uni and yeah I was wondering if not having a facebook will leave me outcasted a little? I'm introverted as is so idk

I have Facebook and have been considering deleting it, but virtually everything to do with societies and friends is organised via Facebook. There are people I know who get on perfectly fine without it, but you might find that you miss out on things. It depends whether you're happy with that and finding events out from friends, or whether you think it's worth getting it.
Reply 2
Ohhhh glad you made this thread. I’ve been considering making a new FB account for uni, everything seems to happen on FB so yeah I’d say make one just to be in the chats and stuff
Reply 3
Original post by ax12
I have Facebook and have been considering deleting it, but virtually everything to do with societies and friends is organised via Facebook. There are people I know who get on perfectly fine without it, but you might find that you miss out on things. It depends whether you're happy with that and finding events out from friends, or whether you think it's worth getting it.

I think I'm prone to isolating myself sometimes so it would be helpful but making one now would be so inconvenient I wouldn't even know who to add at this point and all that
Reply 4
I think I'm prone to isolating myself sometimes so it would be helpful but making one now would be so inconvenient I wouldn't even know who to add at this point and all that

All you need is your name, then you can join any Facebook groups relevant to your course or societies. You'll find that people add you/ask for your Facebook as you go along, but you could always just use it for events.
Reply 5
Original post by Zxyn
Ohhhh glad you made this thread. I’ve been considering making a new FB account for uni, everything seems to happen on FB so yeah I’d say make one just to be in the chats and stuff

I'm thinking that cause I've found even just at school like not being in the chat is so bad cuz I have to rely on others to let me know like if it's non-uniform or if there's a test on or something but I would feel so awkward about adding people now uno
Reply 6
I'm thinking that cause I've found even just at school like not being in the chat is so bad cuz I have to rely on others to let me know like if it's non-uniform or if there's a test on or something but I would feel so awkward about adding people now uno

That’s true… lucky for me everything in school was on whatsapp, why can’t uni be the same? Ugh!

But yeah, better get in early cus once everyone knows each other and has their own banter… it’s hard to get in without feeling awkward
Reply 7

Depends. Having Facebook makes it really useful to find info before you go there (e.g. which building to enrol, how to get to a particular room which aren't shown on the campus/building maps), as well as finding your housemates/course mates and getting to know them beforehand. Many make a large group chat with course mates to discuss any particular problem related to their course, and get any sort of info for assignments and such (which is very helpful).

If you got any other social media (such as Snapchat), then you should be fine tbh.
Reply 8
FB is a waste of time. Concentrate on your studies.
Reply 9
Original post by 161BMW

shut up and don't be condescending mate
It makes it easier to connect with people, see events, send lazy Chat messages.

You lose nothing by creating one; you potentially lose something by not creating one. Heard of Pascal's Gambit?
Reply 11
Original post by kkboyk
Depends. Having Facebook makes it really useful to find info before you go there (e.g. which building to enrol, how to get to a particular room which aren't shown on the campus/building maps), as well as finding your housemates/course mates and getting to know them beforehand. Many make a large group chat with course mates to discuss any particular problem related to their course, and get any sort of info for assignments and such (which is very helpful).

If you got any other social media (such as Snapchat), then you should be fine tbh.

I'm thinking I'm just going to end up making one tbh and I can always delete it anyway
Reply 12
shut up and don't be condescending mate

Shut up ? Learn some manners. I don’t mean to be condescending or wasn’t trying to be !!
But it is a waste of time in general.
Reply 13
Original post by 161BMW
Shut up ? Learn some manners. I don’t mean to be condescending or wasn’t trying to be !!
But it is a waste of time in general.

sorry if u werent trying to be but that wasn't my question, if i liked facebook i would have one at the moment

also imagine saying "i dont mean to be condescending" and "learn some manners" in the same sentence
Reply 14
I'm thinking I'm just going to end up making one tbh and I can always delete it anyway

Quite a few do this, or just never use it and go on it only to ask any course mates for info (especially during exams, which I get a lot of messages from people asking for help).

I only use FB nowadays to be in a group chat with friends, share notes, and cold message people from my uni who have done a particular internship or are working in a company I am interested in.
Yes definitely get facebook for uni. It's useful for before uni so you can chat to other people, see who's in your flat and see what events there are. But it's most important for when you're actually at uni and you can all add each other and keep in touch and invite people to events. If someone's having a flat party they're probably not going to remember to invite you if you're not on their facebook. Events are mostly advertised on facebook as well, including socials and events at actual clubs so it's the best way to find out what nights out to go to. Your accommodation will also probably have a fb group or group chat where people will post things. It's a good way to stay in the loop and see what's going on.
I personally don't even like facebook that much and I never post things, but if I didn't have it at uni I don't think my experience would have been as good. Definitely get it.

You can exchange phone numbers with people you meet instead. That's what I did with a few of my first encounters last Sept. Facebook just allows people to look you up easily and chat. The subject group-chats are occasionally useful as well for announcements etc.

Original post by 161BMW

Using Facebook will not hinder your studies. Just getting an account doesn't mean your time is wasted.

If Facebook is hindering your studies, then you have a serious problem.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
sorry if u werent trying to be but that wasn't my question, if i liked facebook i would have one at the moment

also imagine saying "i dont mean to be condescending" and "learn some manners" in the same sentence

You will thank me if you get a first with that advice by not wasting your time on FB !
i never used it... did not cause any problems :dontknow:
Original post by the bear
i never used it... did not cause any problems :dontknow:

Yeah, cos Zuckerberg was still in his dad's nut sack when you went to uni.

Quick Reply

Latest