The Student Room Group

CAn i get a 4 in maths by doing past papers only

If i understand it, is there a point of me watching revision vids and all that

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends with your current level.
If you don't know how to solve something, say binomial expansion, watch some videos.

Past papers are the best way to revise once your notes have been finalised.
Reply 2
If you understand it go straight to past papers
1.Complete past papers under exam conditions and notice why are you losing marks
Wrong method or lack of understanding go back to revision vids or ask your teacher
Silly mistakes figure out why you are doing them and fix them.
2.Do more questions on the thing you get wrong untill you know it very well
3.Back to past papers
4.Repeat
If you do this right you will get more than 4
Original post by wills21
It depends with your current level.
If you don't know how to solve something, say binomial expansion, watch some videos.

Past papers are the best way to revise once your notes have been finalised.

Ok what if someone tells me how to answer it and i understand it. Shall i do similar questions to that? Because making notes is just so tiring
Original post by Meltend
If you understand it go straight to past papers
1.Complete past papers under exam conditions and notice why are you losing marks
Wrong method or lack of understanding go back to revision vids or ask your teacher
Silly mistakes figure out why you are doing them and fix them.
2.Do more questions on the thing you get wrong untill you know it very well
3.Back to past papers
4.Repeat
If you do this right you will get more than 4

Nah i understand a past paper question cos someone explained it to me well so i understand the working out. But i havent actually revised the topic, its area btw and ik theres many different types of questions on area
Reply 5
Original post by FloralLuxe
Ok what if someone tells me how to answer it and i understand it. Shall i do similar questions to that? Because making notes is just so tiring

Watch MathsWatch, it's simple and not too tiring!
Original post by wills21
Watch MathsWatch, it's simple and not too tiring!

Theres sooo many topics. Cant i just do questions? Will that get me a 4
Reply 7
Theres sooo many topics. Cant i just do questions? Will that get me a 4

Some tie in with each other. Learn them all and get more than a 4.
Original post by wills21
Some tie in with each other. Learn them all and get more than a 4.

Ah okay then. Thanks :smile:
How I see revision is 50% of it is learning, and the other 50% is applying it. I'd get a revision guide with some revision workbooks. They change the world.

Don’t do notes for maths thats stupid. Just do past papers and practice questions from textbooks. Watching youtube videos for questions you got wrong help a lot as they are usually made by teachers.
Original post by HateOCR
Don’t do notes for maths thats stupid. Just do past papers and practice questions from textbooks. Watching youtube videos for questions you got wrong help a lot as they are usually made by teachers.

Yeah thats what i was saying. Okay thanks :smile:
Watch mathsgenie videos and do the practice questions on the website and when you master the content and matshegnie questions do the past papers.
As of this year, 5 is the benchmark for a pass so that's what you should be aiming for, rather than a 4. And yes, past papers are a good idea. Do tons of them and correct all your mistakes and maybe you'll form enough understanding to scrape a pass, assuming you don't care for maths beyond your GCSE.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Watch mathsgenie videos and do the practice questions on the website and when you master the content and matshegnie questions do the past papers.

Oh ok thanks :smile:
Yeah, I'm just watching videos on mathswatch. After that, I do some past papers. To be honest, don't be too worried about getting a 4. I think the grade boundaries are going to be fairly low.
Original post by sadsadgirl
Yeah, I'm just watching videos on mathswatch. After that, I do some past papers. To be honest, don't be too worried about getting a 4. I think the grade boundaries are going to be fairly low.

Yeah but 3 papers!! How much do i need to get on one (higher)
Yeah but 3 papers!! How much do i need to get on one (higher)

The average 15-16 year old can do it so you'll prolly be fine.
Original post by orderofthelotus
The average 15-16 year old can do it so you'll prolly be fine.

i will be.
Yeah but 3 papers!! How much do I need to get on one (higher)

Hmm, what exam board?

For the mocks, my teacher used grade boundaries that were a little bit higher than the boundaries used for the actual GCSE'S last year. One of my friend's got a 4 in the mock. She got around 20-25% for each paper, I think.

These grade boundaries might go up a little bit, but not drastically. That's what we've been told, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest