The Student Room Group

Tattoo to cover self harm

I have some scars on both forearms from previous issues with self harm. All the scars are completely healed now but are permanent. I understand that tattoo ink can sometimes not work as well on scars but the scars really bother me. I have been considering getting a tattoo to cover them up but I am hoping to work within human rights (although not entirely sure what yet). Do you think a tattoo will affect my chances of employment?
I work and have found tattoos now are not a issue for jobs if tasteful..
so many people have tattoos now i think in a few years time it won't even be an issue anymore - I'm in a similar position but want to cover up scars on my legs, I think you should do whatever would make you happier and more comfortable with your body x
Have you considered laser surgery? I don't know if the NHS would cover it, but it's not that expensive. I had some sessions and the scars I had it done on are completely flat now and very barely visible: the improvement is substantial.

I also wanted a tattoo but my wife said no. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you considered laser surgery? I don't know if the NHS would cover it, but it's not that expensive. I had some sessions and the scars I had it done on are completely flat now and very barely visible: the improvement is substantial.

I also wanted a tattoo but my wife said no. :tongue:

I have a bit of a fear of surgery and hospitals in general (due to an incident when I was younger when a family member had surgery that went wrong) so I'm not sure that would be an issue but thanks for your suggestion
Original post by Anonymous
I have a bit of a fear of surgery and hospitals in general (due to an incident when I was younger when a family member had surgery that went wrong) so I'm not sure that would be an issue but thanks for your suggestion

By laser "surgery" I forgot the actual term for the procedure. You don't get put to sleep or even necessarily in a hospital - I got mine done at a dermatologist's office, basically they just use a laser to zap you (it hurts a bit) while you're still awake over and over and it makes the scars less visible and flatter. Doesn't even require numbing injections or anything.

Quick Reply

Latest