The Student Room Group

Can we change graduate jobs within a year?

Hey, so I need a bit of advice please..

I will be graduating this year, and I have got offer for a graduate role. But I haven't managed to secure it in an industry or company I really like. The pay is good so I don't want to decline it and waste a year but I don't see myself working in this one long-term.

The scheme is set to run for 3 years but would I still be able to reapply to next year's graduate programs and be applicable for an offer if successful?

If anyone's done something similar, or knows of someone who has done this- any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply 1
Most schemes allow 'recent graduates' to apply, how recent is 'recent' depends on the recruiter's interpretation.
Original post by anonymous375

I will be graduating this year, and I have got offer for a graduate role. But I haven't managed to secure it in an industry or company I really like. The pay is good so I don't want to decline it and waste a year but I don't see myself working in this one long-term.

The scheme is set to run for 3 years but would I still be able to reapply to next year's graduate programs and be applicable for an offer if successful?

If anyone's done something similar, or knows of someone who has done this- any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

One can still nab a graduate job within a few years of graduating--I know friends who waited a few months after graduating (and even up to a year or so later) to apply so they could find their perfect job, because they already had experience in certain industries and already knew what they wanted.

However, as for quitting before the three years is up, be careful and read your contract carefully. Some graduate schemes lock graduates in and would require you pay back the fees they invest into you as training if you leave before the three years is up.
Original post by Michelle Bieger
One can still nab a graduate job within a few years of graduating--I know friends who waited a few months after graduating (and even up to a year or so later) to apply so they could find their perfect job, because they already had experience in certain industries and already knew what they wanted.

However, as for quitting before the three years is up, be careful and read your contract carefully. Some graduate schemes lock graduates in and would require you pay back the fees they invest into you as training if you leave before the three years is up.

Thanks for you response! Ahh yes- It doesn't say anything as such in my contract just that notice period is 1 month. So, do you think it would be okay for me to ask them about it- that if I had to leave the role before the 3 years because of personal reason, what is the procedure? Or would they look at it in a negative way?

When are you graduating??
Original post by GreenBell
When are you graduating??

This year June, and the role I already got starts from Sept for about 3 years.
This year June, and the role I already got starts from Sept for about 3 years.

Oh wow you're early. What course are you doing?

According to a friend of mine who applied for a graduate job for a 2 year contract said the contract she needed to sign prevents her from leaving and if she does they are allowed to take back the salary they've given her. Make sure you read the contract and ask if you can leave at any time.
Oh wow you're early. What course are you doing?

According to a friend of mine who applied for a graduate job for a 2 year contract said the contract she needed to sign prevents her from leaving and if she does they are allowed to take back the salary they've given her. Make sure you read the contract and ask if you can leave at any time.

Hhmm...early in graduating? Oh, well the course finishes in June they said. Im doing Comp Sci with Management.

Oh wow, it doesn't say anything specifically on the contract for me, Ill have to confirm with them then thanks. I really hope not >.< because I really don't want to be here for a long time. I mean its a good place and one of the top companies in its own industry but dont really want to go into this industry tbh, but also dont want to lose time without taking any roles as well :s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hhmm...early in graduating? Oh, well the course finishes in June they said. Im doing Comp Sci with Management.

Oh wow, it doesn't say anything specifically on the contract for me, Ill have to confirm with them then thanks. I really hope not >.< because I really don't want to be here for a long time. I mean its a good place and one of the top companies in its own industry but dont really want to go into this industry tbh, but also dont want to lose time without taking any roles as well :s-smilie:

No, I meant early in finding a graduate job. I'm graduating this year and I don't even know what I'm doing so it's good you're applying early.

Yes, make sure you read the contract and ask as many questions as you can but don't make it seem like you'll want to leave soon. If you're not interested, start applying for other jobs and hopefully you'll find something you like.
No, I meant early in finding a graduate job. I'm graduating this year and I don't even know what I'm doing so it's good you're applying early.

Yes, make sure you read the contract and ask as many questions as you can but don't make it seem like you'll want to leave soon. If you're not interested, start applying for other jobs and hopefully you'll find something you like.

Ahh I get it, thanks. I have some ACs, so lets see. But this company wanted their contract signed really early, in a week!

Thanks and best of luck to you too:smile:
Ahh I get it, thanks. I have some ACs, so lets see. But this company wanted their contract signed really early, in a week!

Thanks and best of luck to you too:smile:

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending