The Student Room Group

how do you answer the 'why do you want to be a doctor question?'

Scroll to see replies

fair enough, you could argue doctors are underpaid, but to me 100k is still alot of money. Especially if you live outside London and your job isnt at risk during recessions

haha no i dont mean breaks. If your a guy and studying medicine, its like shooting fish in a barrel.
Original post by hannah00
fair enough, you could argue doctors are underpaid, but to me 100k is still alot of money. Especially if you live outside London and your job isnt at risk during recessions

haha no i dont mean breaks. If your a guy and studying medicine, its like shooting fish in a barrel.

I see his point. In the US neurosurgeons can be paid as high as $500,000 whereas in the UK a most realistic salary is probably £100,000.
Original post by rickyrossman
I see his point. In the US neurosurgeons can be paid as high as $500,000 whereas in the UK a most realistic salary is probably £100,000.

maybe 20 years ago.Your also comparing MAX salaries in the US to average in the UK, so apples and oranges

I think its slightly misleading to compare salaries to the US, where they have a completely different system and lower levels of minimum wage and make money from carrying out pointless procedures enables them to pay a premium wage to senior members of staff.

Everyone thinks they are unpaid, but if you objectively look at the standard of living the job allows you to enjoy, you would be quite happy.
Original post by Pab12344
Thank you guys
I don't know if this is too long or not for an interview question

My initial thoughts on medicine were stimulated at a very young age, watching my neighbor battling cancer for 5 years or so. Having listened to her talking about the immense help of the entire healthcare professional especially the doctors, it made me want to pursue a career in which it will help me reward valuable to society by being at the frontier into protecting and helping save people’s lives making a positive impact as well as hopefully bringing a smile to relatives faces and patients. Furthermore, medicine is a very fascinating and active subject as the result of the constant new scientific discoveries. Therefore due to my interests in science and the human anatomy, which I developed by reading articles on BMJ, I can conclude that medicine is a greatly fulfilling subject in terms of my interests and a career path that I would be greatly dedicated into following.

I'd avoid the whole "at a very young age" stuff. 5 year olds can't make realistic career decisions.

Also, what are you doing reading the BMJ?

A more common question in interviews now is "Why a doctor, not a nurse or other healthcare professional?"

I think the question genuinely needs you to think and be honest with yourself. There are loads of jobs where you help people and can engage with science.

There are lots of reasons to want to be a doctor aside from liking science and wanting to help people. It's a very broad field with hundreds of different career paths with opportunities for research and teaching alongside clinical work. You get to work with a diverse team of other professionals. It's a very hands-on, practical job.
So if we think of patients as customers, and junior doctors as employees, team managers at most places, even companies that recruit soley graduates, make 30-40k. Whilst I understand the pressure of managing the life and death of patients, is not quite the same as the pressure of angry barclays customers threatening to call the regulator and disinvest 100k because a document they requested doesn't exist, it is comparable.

haha, erm just casually mention your doctor to every girl you meet. Just slip it into the conversation.
Reply 25
Original post by Pab12344
Any ideas guys?

If you can’t answer this question then I think you need to re-think what you want to do.
Sure if the country is loosing Doctors, they should be paid more but I would still be happy with a 100k lol. I could live my dream lifestyle with that. So the Money and *****es thing still applies(even if I was quoting someone else) !

haha maybe they thought it was Doctor as in Doctor Dre ?
With out knowing the full details of your circumstance I couldn't really comment, but being a doctor is huge advantage in the dating market
Reply 27
Just don't say this:

Because my parents are making me.
Because i will earn a lot (you wont actually make much btw)
Because i want to help people (you can do this in every other way)

Good luck X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending