The Student Room Group

Veterinary with just one science

I went on work experience and I am interested in being a vet, if I do good at A Level, But I am unsure if I can be a vet with the A Levels I choose which are biology, geography and applied business studies. Can I and if not is there another method or alternative?
Reply 1
Original post by Newbridge
I went on work experience and I am interested in being a vet, if I do good at A Level, But I am unsure if I can be a vet with the A Levels I choose which are biology, geography and applied business studies. Can I and if not is there another method or alternative?

Unfortunately not. While they might still consider you, it’s important to remember how competitive it is to study to become a vet. There are far fewer places that offer it than medicine for example. They will really only be taking on the very best of the best. I think that, if possible, it would be worth pursuing maths or another science.
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
Unfortunately not. While they might still consider you, it’s important to remember how competitive it is to study to become a vet. There are far fewer places that offer it than medicine for example. They will really only be taking on the very best of the best. I think that, if possible, it would be worth pursuing maths or another science.

Thanks for responding, I received A/A in double award science and an A in maths at GCSE level, I feel that I would have a better chance in mathes though, so for any chance I would have to do one of these by repeating year 13, which I'm currently in or by a overnight course in the future, What's your opinion?
Certainly when I applied every university I considered expected an A in A level chemistry, if veterinary is truly what you wish to do after sufficient work experience I would look for ways to take chemistry at A level (but first check if universities would accept this as many expect the results you apply with to be completed within the same period)
Reply 4
Thanks for responding, I received A/A in double award science and an A in maths at GCSE level, I feel that I would have a better chance in mathes though, so for any chance I would have to do one of these by repeating year 13, which I'm currently in or by a overnight course in the future, What's your opinion?

I would say that’s your best option. I know it’s not ideal and you probably want to get straight in there but it does give you a far better chance! I’m sure you’re perfectly smart enough to get in now but you need to make sure that the places that offer the course can see that! Can I ask why you didn’t do triple science?

There is a six-year veterinary course at Nottingham ('Veterinary Medicine with Preliminary Year':wink:, designed for people who did not take the correct combination of subjects (i.e. only one science). You would potentially be eligible for this, however it is no less competitive than other veterinary courses.

Note that this is not the same as 'gateway' courses (which are offered at Nottingham too but also other universities including the RVC and Bristol). These are aimed at widening participation, however you may be eligible for these as well and they have lower requirements and are less strict about subject combinations.

Personally my suggestion would be to continue with work experience to create a strong application, apply for the preliminary (and potentially gateway) course in year 13, and if unsuccessful take a gap year in which you can sit A level chemistry and apply to universities that you were previously ineligible for.

There are other routes in (for example applying as a graduate or joining an English-taught course in mainland Europe), however funding these may be difficult so I would strongly advise taking a gap year before considering these options.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest