The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Nursing degree

Does the university allow students who do not have all the ucas points to do nursing if they have some care experience instead? If so how many students have been given a place who do not meet all the academic ucas points for nursing last year 2017?
Reply 1
Original post by Maleea
Does the university allow students who do not have all the ucas points to do nursing if they have some care experience instead? If so how many students have been given a place who do not meet all the academic ucas points for nursing last year 2017?

So it really depends on the university. Some do it based upon UCAS points, but a lot of them do it based upon grades. Some people might receive contextual offers where they are given lower offers but I would be surprised if they ever accepted anyone without having at least done the qualifications they list in the entry requirements, regardless of grade achieved. Your best bet is to probably make sure your GCSEs are up to the desired standard and then take some A Levels thinking about what the universities generally require and the sort of grades you’re aiming for.
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Original post by Maleea

Hi, I'm a mature student. I've been along to a nursing open day at Coventry uni and they said that there are 300 places and approx 800 students apply. I haven't got all the qualifications to get straight onto the degree course, so I'm doing a foundation year first, bit like an access course, but at uni. what they said you need some experience in care even if it's voluntary. they want you to have a grasp of the basic care. it's the Base for all nursing. they need to know if you can hack wiping someones but and doing personal care before you start the course, you can't b squeamish!
*Bum*
Reply 4
Thanks everyone I have a previous degree not related to health and was to told that I would need gcse biology which I did and have some care experience as well, I wasn't selected and am dissapointed about that.other Students at the interview said they didnt have any care experience but had better grades in A Levels etc. Although I was told to only study for biology i think that it might have gone against me if looking at it academically. Has anyone got onto nursing as a second degree and the first is unrelated but they did not study an access course? Sorry for my rambly post.
Original post by Maleea

Hi :smile:

For those applying with level 3 qualifications such as A-Levels/BTECs, we would need those applying to meet the UCAS tariff which is 120 points (equivalent to BBB at A-Level).

We do accept graduates as well. They must have 2:2 (minimum) in any subject.

All applicants need to meet the GCSE requirements - English, Maths, Biology/Combined Science at grade C or above. Equivalents accepted (functional skills/key skills level 2).

I hope this helps!

Joe
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Bradford

For those applying with level 3 qualifications such as A-Levels/BTECs, we would need those applying to meet the UCAS tariff which is 120 points (equivalent to BBB at A-Level).

All applicants need to meet the GCSE requirements - English, Maths, Biology/Combined Science at grade C or above. Equivalents accepted (functional skills/key skills level 2).

I hope this helps!

Joe

Thanks Joe that does help what If if the first degree was attained by entry as a mature student so did not have a levels Only Gcses and one Alevel It Was A Long time ago... is entry to nursing allowed with first degree only and gcses, or do I need 2 more Alevels Btech etc or access course? Please clarify no reply from admissions health.
Original post by Maleea
Thanks Joe that does help what If if the first degree was attained by entry as a mature student so did not have a levels Only Gcses and one Alevel It Was A Long time ago... is entry to nursing allowed with first degree only and gcses, or do I need 2 more Alevels Btech etc or access course? Please clarify no reply from admissions health.

Hi normally they like you to have studied in the last 3 years. if you have gaps in your education (biology etc) you may have to do a access course or foundation year. it's best to contact the uni or go to an open day
Reply 8
Original post by Matureyeahright
Hi normally they like you to have studied in the last 3 years. if you have gaps in your education (biology etc) you may have to do a access course or foundation year. it's best to contact the uni or go to an open day

Thank You for the information :smile:
Reply 9

I hope this helps!

Joe

Level 2 English and maths is accepted or u mean level 3 as I don't have GCSE but got level 2 and 3
Original post by Saras98
Level 2 English and maths is accepted or u mean level 3 as I don't have GCSE but got level 2 and 3

Hi Saras98 :smile:

If applicants do not have GCSE English and Maths at grade C, we can accept equivalents such as Functional Skills level 2. For Biology, we can accept BTEC level 2 providing there is enough biology content in the qualification - but it is best to contact our admissions team.

All of our undergraduate courses require level 3 qualifications (which carry UCAS points) unless you are a graduate as mentioned above.

Cheers

Joe
Reply 11
[ =Saras98;76107320]Level 2 English and maths is accepted or u mean level 3 as I don't have GCSE but got level 2 and 3

Thankyou for the information Sarah :smile:I have my maths I wanted to know if I needed to study more A levels Joe has answered below :smile: hopefully it can help someone else out as well.
Reply 12
Hi Saras98 :smile:

If applicants do not have GCSE English and Maths at grade C, we can accept equivalents such as Functional Skills level 2. For Biology, we can accept BTEC level 2 providing there is enough biology content in the qualification - but it is best to contact our admissions team.

All of our undergraduate courses require level 3 qualifications (which carry UCAS points) unless you are a graduate as mentioned above.

Cheers

Joe

Thankyou Joe just what I needed to know :smile:
I still have not applied yet but my Monday I'm hoping too is it too late for nursing application?
Original post by Saras98
I still have not applied yet but my Monday I'm hoping too is it too late for nursing application?

Hi

We are still accepting applications, although spaces are filling up fast, so please apply as soon as possible!

Applications as normal through UCAS :biggrin:

Joe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending