The Student Room Group

Spotting and light cramps on the pill

For the last 2-3 days I started spotting and I've had light cramps every now and then. I'm already into my 6th month of taking the pill. I did purposefully skip my period twice one after the other which might be it. Otherwise I haven't spotted since the 2nd-3rd month. Should I be worried? I'm quite nervous since I bravely decided to google search my symptoms and was faced with results such as "signs you're pregnant while on birth control". I've been taking my pill almost at the same time every day (the latest I've taken it is 1.5 hours from my usual time). My boyfriend and I did have sex without a condom a few times this last month. I felt a bit nauseous yesterday, but I hadn't eaten anything almost the whole day.
I know I should see my GP, but I won't have the chance to for about another week and I was just wondering if I'm unnecessarily freaking out or whether I should genuinely be worried.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by SummerQs
For the last 2-3 days I started spotting and I've had light cramps every now and then. I'm already into my 6th month of taking the pill. I did skip my period twice one after the other which might be it. Otherwise I haven't spotted since the 2nd-3rd month. Should I be worried? I'm quite nervous since I bravely decided to google search my symptoms and was faced with results such as "signs you're pregnant while on birth control". I've been taking my pill almost at the same time every day (the latest I've taken it is 1.5 hours from my usual time). My boyfriend and I did have sex without a condom a few times this last month. I felt a bit nauseous yesterday, but I hadn't eaten anything almost the whole day.
I know I should see my GP, but I won't have the chance to for about another week and I was just wondering if I'm unnecessarily freaking out or whether I should genuinely be worried.

Chances are it’s probably nothing because birth control can do weird things to you but I would recommend taking a pregnancy test if you miss a period this month.

I take the pill and have the implant because the implant totally messed up my cycle and now I have no periods which isn’t actually that uncommon for girls on birth control. If the spotting and cramps persist go to your local sexual health clinic (it’s far better than trying to get an appt. with the GP) and speak to them. They might be able to suggest alternative pills, like cerelle for example where you don’t have a week of sugar pills because all of the pills are birth control. They might even suggest alternative methods of contraception like the implant for you.
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
Chances are it’s probably nothing because birth control can do weird things to you but I would recommend taking a pregnancy test if you miss a period this month.

I take the pill and have the implant because the implant totally messed up my cycle and now I have no periods which isn’t actually that uncommon for girls on birth control. If the spotting and cramps persist go to your local sexual health clinic (it’s far better than trying to get an appt. with the GP) and speak to them. They might be able to suggest alternative pills, like cerelle for example where you don’t have a week of sugar pills because all of the pills are birth control. They might even suggest alternative methods of contraception like the implant for you.

What i meant is that I skipped my periods with the pill on purpose. Also, so far the bleeding is fairly strong and I read afterwards that if it is pregnancy related it's very pink and light. Mine resembles a last to second-last day of period. I think this is a good sign, but I will take what you said under advisement. Thank you.
Original post by SummerQs
What i meant is that I skipped my periods with the pill on purpose. Also, so far the bleeding is fairly strong and I read afterwards that if it is pregnancy related it's very pink and light. Mine resembles a last to second-last day of period. I think this is a good sign, but I will take what you said under advisement. Thank you.

It'll probably be a problem with the pill, or due to the fact that you've skipped it. I've had this a few times, and it has been fine. If the cramps persist, or you get any other problems (like headaches) I would go to see the doctor.

If you are still worried, you can take a pregnancy test. You won't be pregnant, but it would calm your nerves.

Quick Reply

Latest