The Student Room Group

It's illegal to pay a man and a woman 2 different rates of pay for the same job

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Gender aside, it is perfectly legal for an employer to pay different rates for the same job.

Therefore, it's impossible to prove on an individual basis that this sort of gender discrimination for the same role has happened, which by the way, is pretty rare as it is.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
You realise you're just backing up my point that saying it's illegal doesn't mean it doesnt happen - that employers can trot out other excuses which seem convincing on the surface...

I suppose its pointless arguing logically with people possessive of a conspiratorial mind.
Original post by Unkilled
I suppose its pointless arguing logically with people possessive of a conspiratorial mind.

Maybe you should actually try a logical argument to start with, rather than relying on the idea that no one has ever broken the law...

You're completely failing to understand the point, whether because you can't or because you don't want to remains to be seen. So, I'll spell it out simpler - saying "it's illegal so it doesn't happen" is nonsense, not least because people will still break the law, but also because its an easy one to dodge by pretending that it's just a coincidence and the reason is nice and above board.
Maybe you should actually try a logical argument to start with, rather than relying on the idea that no one has ever broken the law...

You're completely failing to understand the point, whether because you can't or because you don't want to remains to be seen. So, I'll spell it out simpler - saying "it's illegal so it doesn't happen" is nonsense, not least because people will still break the law, but also because its an easy one to dodge by pretending that it's just a coincidence and the reason is nice and above board.

I'm not saying that no one ever broke the law. Its just that every company would be breaking the law. Do you think that is possible, mate?

Also, there are tonnes of other factors. Besides, you're being the illogical one here. You're taking the extreme view. You can take it two ways: There's a patriarchy or there's more reasons this happens. Which seems more logical?
I'm not saying that no one ever broke the law. Its just that every company would be breaking the law. Do you think that is possible, mate?

Also, there are tonnes of other factors. Besides, you're being the illogical one here. You're taking the extreme view. You can take it two ways: There's a patriarchy or there's more reasons this happens. Which seems more logical?

Don't know what you're arguing against, because it's not the position I've taken.

Deliberately underpaying women almost certainly happens, but the wage gap is mostly explainable by which industries are male dominated and relative seniority. However, high paying industries being male dominated is not a coincidence: work that is seen as womens work is then valued low and vice versa - the example i always use is Russia: doctors seen as womens work, and massively underpaid.

As to whether there's a patriarchy - yes, there is, thats not really disputable.
Don't know what you're arguing against, because it's not the position I've taken.

Deliberately underpaying women almost certainly happens, but the wage gap is mostly explainable by which industries are male dominated and relative seniority. However, high paying industries being male dominated is not a coincidence: work that is seen as womens work is then valued low and vice versa - the example i always use is Russia: doctors seen as womens work, and massively underpaid.

As for whether there's a patriarchy - yes, there is, thats not really disputable.

How the f*** is there a patriarchy? I guess all those homeless white men on the street still have their privilege to hang on to, right?
BS.
How the f*** is there a patriarchy? I guess all those homeless white men on the street still have their privilege to hang on to, right?
BS.

So you don't actually understand what a patriachy means...

Women are disadvantaged entering the workplace. They have a longer road to run, that does not mean some don't successful run it, or that all men end up ahead.
So you don't actually understand what a patriachy means...

Women are disadvantaged entering the workplace. They have a longer road to run, that does not mean some don't successful run it, or that all men end up ahead.

There is not a patriarchy. However, the working environment is a very masculine one.

Is not the school system a matriarchy because girls are getting better grades than girls, then, according to your own definition?
Original post by Profesh
The quoted passage would be perfectly intelligible to any halfway-literate undergraduate; adolescent, even. What are you, four?

Look at me, iamverysmart, I go to duh universities to do duh studies. I can used big wurds oooo
There is not a patriarchy. However, the working environment is a very masculine one.

Its fine, you don't get what the patriarchy is - just say that. There's not literally a cabal of men at the top suppressing women, there's just an underlying set of biases in society which disfavour women. Like with institutional racism - We're not saying that the powerful are waking up and going "today I shall oppress a black man", we're talking about systematic biases which make being BME a disadvantage.

Is not the school system a matriarchy because girls are getting better grades than girls, then, according to your own definition?

According to my definition how?
Can someone explain to me why this website is so obsessed with feminism and gender issues?
The thing is, woman and men who do the same job aren’t always paid the same amount of money. Friends of my family who live in Dubai, worked at a stock market investment bank. They are married, and both qualified for the same job; they started working the same job at the investment bank at the same time but the man was paid far more than the woman. And he was given a promotion far quicker than she was just because he was a man (not because he worked harder)
Its fine, you don't get what the patriarchy is - just say that. Ther's not literally a cabal of men at the top suppressing women, there's just an underlying set of biases in society which disfavour women. Like with institutional racism - We're not saying that the powerful are waking up and going "today I shall oppress a black man", we're talking about systematic biases which make being BME a disadvantage.

According to my definition how?

Well, the academic system is controlled by women. There are more women involved in it. The environment is very feminine. Therefore it is a matriarchy since there is an underlying set of biases, right?

Dude, there is no patriarchy. Its just called a competitive environment, mate. You need to be assertive, which less women are on average than men.
I'll let you into a little secret. Generally whenever men make the same choices that the average woman does on careers choice, career paths and work life balance, then they earn less than the average man does too.
Original post by Just my opinion
I'll let you into a little secret. Generally whenever men make the same choices that the average woman does on careers choice, career paths and work life balance, then they earn less than the average man does too.

Oddly enough, this is what I've been trying to say the whole thread.
Original post by EqualitySloth
The thing is, woman and men who do the same job aren’t always paid the same amount of money. Friends of my family who live in Dubai, worked at a stock market investment bank. They are married, and both qualified for the same job; they started working the same job at the investment bank at the same time but the man was paid far more than the woman. And he was given a promotion far quicker than she was just because he was a man (not because he worked harder)

In Dubai. Not the western world.
Original post by rickyrossman
Can someone explain to me why this website is so obsessed with feminism and gender issues?

Oddly enough, this is what I've been trying to say the whole thread.

👍🙂
They are. They're also easy getout arguments for those who don't commit to equal pay - "oh him? No, his contract just has extra responsibilities to hers".

Frankly the "it's illegal" argument for a gender pay gap not existing is nonsense. Because no-one has ever broken the law...

Okay, I’ll bite ... why would an employer WANT to pay men more than women? Why would an employer be looking for excuses to overpay their male staff and underpay their female staff?
Original post by limetang
Okay, I’ll bite ... why would an employer WANT to pay men more than women? Why would an employer be looking for excuses to overpay their male staff and underpay their female staff?

The don’t, and surely if they did then the rate of Female employment would be much higher than the rate of Male employment.

Quick Reply

Latest