The Student Room Group

Physician Associate MSc and PgDip Funding

Hey,

I've applied for both MSc and PgDip Physician Associate courses and I am wondering how current Physician students are funding their studies?

I'm aware there are Postgraduate Masters Loans for the MSc course only and Professional Career Development Loans that can be used for the PgDip.

I was wondering if it is possible to apply for both loans if you get onto a MSc course?

I was also wondering how do you fund your accommodation as the loans above don't even cover the cost of the course for a year?
You can get both a student loan and career loan if you're studying an MSc course.

Unfortunately, with a PgDip you can only get the career loan and even that is subject to credit approval.

I was lucky enough to get unto a fully funded + bursary course but beforehand i worked full time and saved up since this wasn't guaranteed. On this course, it's incredibly difficult (but not impossible..!) to have a job alongside. So, I recommend getting a job in healthcare to save up and gain experience beforehand. Not having to worry about money makes life so much easier.

Also, make sure the places you apply to is worth your money.

Good luck! :smile:
Thank you very much for replying!

Currently I have an offer for a MSc course so it is good to know that I could get both loans for that!

That is very lucky! The thing is that I have applied during my last year at uni for September entry so this doesn’t really leave me much time to earn money before starting.

I guess I could look into if it is possible to defer the course but I kind of just want to get started already😂

I hope the places i’ve applied to are worth my money, not sure how to verify that though😅
Reply 3
People fund this by;

1, living with their parents;
2, having a partner who is able to solely pay for everything;
3, get into a mountain of debt.

It's impossible for people like me, who have to work for a living, to do this course.
Reply 4
Original post by planet_tea
You can get both a student loan and career loan if you're studying an MSc course.

Unfortunately, with a PgDip you can only get the career loan and even that is subject to credit approval.

I was lucky enough to get unto a fully funded + bursary course but beforehand i worked full time and saved up since this wasn't guaranteed. On this course, it's incredibly difficult (but not impossible..!) to have a job alongside. So, I recommend getting a job in healthcare to save up and gain experience beforehand. Not having to worry about money makes life so much easier.

Also, make sure the places you apply to is worth your money.

Good luck! :smile:

Out of curiosity, how were you able to get a fully funded course? I am struggling to find scholarships/bursaries available except for £5,000 training grant.
Hi, has anyone had any updates on this? I’m looking to apply for September 2019 entry but I’m worried about funding etc. I was looking to do the course at Plymouth but if other unis have better funding options I may look elsewhere. Thanks!
my University have been looking into current funding options. Firstly the career development loan is being withdrawn as of the 25th of January, so if your course starts after this date this will not be an elgible route. Each university provides £2500 per annum and this is a nationwide scheme, however small bursaries from independent universities may provide support. Other than that it is fully self funded.
I am a mum of 4 children, with a partner on a minimum wage job. I have studied for nearly 3 years on Human Biology at Derby, to find all funding has been pulled as of 2019. The course in Sheffield is £18500 minus £5000 bursary. I just can not afford the course and living costs for 4 children and a house, even if we cut back to below the poverty line.
I am currently coming to the end of my undergraduate course with no clear path into further study or employment and i do feel that the PA course is now out of reach for less finacially rich households.
I am hoping i find my path before i graduate in May, but currently i either have to freeze studies (at age 33) to save for 2 years. Or i take the nursing route (which i could have completed 3 years ago), and eventually work towards the ANP role in the future.

I hope everyone finds a stable financial route into this role, as its hugely rewarding when you graduate.

Quick Reply

Latest