The Student Room Group

Gap year or nah?

I'm in Year 12 and want to do medicine at uni but I am considering taking a gap year.

I'm worried that I'll 'fall behind' my friends but I would probably spend my gap year doing work experience/volunteering abroad/ finding a job in the NHS.

Would anyone out there recommend :
1) Apply to medical school all in year 13 w/o gap year
2) Do same as 1 but apply for deferred entry
3) Just focus on A-levels in Year 13 and getting the grades, and then apply the next year (Year 14)
Reply 1
If you:
- can’t get work experience
- haven’t got the grades
- aren’t satisfied with your personal statement
- not sure if you genuinely want to do Medicine
- want to focus on your A-levels first

Then you should probably take a gap year but make sure you speak to friends who applied this year, you learn a lot by observing.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in Year 12 and want to do medicine at uni but I am considering taking a gap year.

I'm worried that I'll 'fall behind' my friends but I would probably spend my gap year doing work experience/volunteering abroad/ finding a job in the NHS.

Would anyone out there recommend :
1) Apply to medical school all in year 13 w/o gap year
2) Do same as 1 but apply for deferred entry
3) Just focus on A-levels in Year 13 and getting the grades, and then apply the next year (Year 14)

Gap years are generally not a bad thing. Lots of people have a year out between year 13 and uni, particularly when applying for medicine, so you definitely won’t be behind.

The benefit of it is that you can strengthen your application and save some money for uni. If it’s something that you feel you want/need to do for whatever reason, I’d go for it.
Definitely apply in y 13. You could reject all of your offers if you get any. I’m taking a gap year too after applying for 2018 entry and withdrawing my application. It was extremely helpful, I learned a lot like how to prepare in terms of AT and interviews
Depends. What are your predicted grades?
Reply 5
Original post by HateOCR
If you:
- can’t get work experience
- haven’t got the grades
- aren’t satisfied with your personal statement
- not sure if you genuinely want to do Medicine
- want to focus on your A-levels first

Then you should probably take a gap year but make sure you speak to friends who applied this year, you learn a lot by observing.

Thanks
I really want to do medicine but I'm wondering if I will have a better chance of getting in by focusing on my A levels and getting those grades first!
Reply 6
Thanks
I really want to do medicine but I'm wondering if I will have a better chance of getting in by focusing on my A levels and getting those grades first!

If your main worry is your chance of getting in, apply in year 13. If you get no offers, you can just try again the next year and use feedback to improve your application.
[video="youtube;eKFjWR7X5dU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU[/video]
Don't be like this guy please
Reply 8
Original post by Alamaniya
Definitely apply in y 13. You could reject all of your offers if you get any. I’m taking a gap year too after applying for 2018 entry and withdrawing my application. It was extremely helpful, I learned a lot like how to prepare in terms of AT and interviews

Which unis did you apply to?
Reply 9
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
Depends. What are your predicted grades?

A* chemistry
A biology
A maths

A - french - I'll probably drop this in year 13
no idea for epq
Original post by ax12
If your main worry is your chance of getting in, apply in year 13. If you get no offers, you can just try again the next year and use feedback to improve your application.

That's true - but I'd have to resit the UKCAT and BMAT right?
Reply 11
That's true - but I'd have to resit the UKCAT and BMAT right?

Yes, if you wanted to apply to the universities that require them.
A* chemistry
A biology
A maths

A - french - I'll probably drop this in year 13
no idea for epq

With those grades id definitely apply
Original post by rickyrossman
[video="youtube;eKFjWR7X5dU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU[/video]
Don't be like this guy please

:biggrin: I know too many people like that hahaha
Original post by Gurdeepthelegend
With those grades id definitely apply

Original post by ax12
Yes, if you wanted to apply to the universities that require them.

Thanks, I'll probably just apply in year 13 then :smile: - do you know if you are allowed to reapply to medical schools if you were rejected in the last cycle?
Reply 15
Thanks, I'll probably just apply in year 13 then :smile: - do you know if you are allowed to reapply to medical schools if you were rejected in the last cycle?

It will depend on the medical school and whether you were rejected pre or post interview. Some only allow you to reapply if you were rejected before the interview stage, others say your offer/interview offer depend on how much your application/interview score has improved from last time.
Thanks

Id say focus. Theres no point getting 4 offers then achieving AAB on results day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending