The Student Room Group

Futher maths or not?

Hi there
I am currently studying Maths, Biology and psychology as my A level subject at a state school.
I really wanted to take Further Maths but unfortunately I am the only person interested and I do not really know what to do.
If you want to do it then do it.
One of my friends is doing it and even though he kinda regrets it bc he realised it has little to do with what he wants to do, he's doing fine despite being one of two people in my year doing it.
Reply 2
Original post by Yukikobestgirl
If you want to do it then do it.
One of my friends is doing it and even though he kinda regrets it bc he realised it has little to do with what he wants to do, he's doing fine despite being one of two people in my year doing it.

Than you for your immediate response.
There's only me and one other person in my further maths class. If you want to do it and your school is willing to put on lessons for one person (mine required at least 4 but then 2 people dropped out and we just carried on) then don't let the lack of other students put you off. You'll get excellent support and be able to work at your own pace. In my experience you do tend to be expected to take more responsibility for your own learning though and some teachers even go so far as to make it almost self taught. This is probably because of the small classes and the fact that people taking further maths are usually very good at maths. My further pure teacher goes through examples and helps us with lots of text book questions during lesson time whereas my mechanics teacher will tell us to start the next topic and let her know if we have any particular difficulties (at which point she'll usually hand us a folder containing her own worked examples of the textbook questions). So you've got to be willing to put in your own work depending on what sort of teacher you have.

Quick Reply