The Student Room Group

car insurance claim liability

So someone reversed into my car leaving a huge hole in my bumper. I obviously claimed with my insurer. The other party was not responding or claiming liability. The other party vehicle belonged to a company and I was given contact details of the manager at the incident time. I called the manager to chase things up and recorded the call as he accepted liability. At the time of the incident I also made a video recording on my phone of when the other party accepts he reversed into me and didnt see my car. However my insurer said they can't accept both of these evidences as other party wasn't aware they were being recorded. I've done half of the investigation work they should be doing!

The other party are now saying that although they were reversing, I had still moved forward into him. I don't understand the logic, he was driving a huge van so how can he even say he saw me moving forwards.

I have obtained a CCTV recording but it only shows the back of my car not the whole incident. The witness I had is hanging up on my insurers!!
Original post by A321
So someone reversed into my car leaving a huge hole in my bumper. I obviously claimed with my insurer. The other party was not responding or claiming liability. The other party vehicle belonged to a company and I was given contact details of the manager at the incident time. I called the manager to chase things up and recorded the call as he accepted liability. At the time of the incident I also made a video recording on my phone of when the other party accepts he reversed into me and didnt see my car. However my insurer said they can't accept both of these evidences as other party wasn't aware they were being recorded. I've done half of the investigation work they should be doing!

The other party are now saying that although they were reversing, I had still moved forward into him. I don't understand the logic, he was driving a huge van so how can he even say he saw me moving forwards.

I have obtained a CCTV recording but it only shows the back of my car not the whole incident. The witness I had is hanging up on my insurers!!

They admitted liability (and there's proof that they did), so I would've imagined the insurance deem him as responsible. I'll just tag @IWMTom which should be able to advise you with this.

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Cars and motoring. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by RoyalSheepy
They admitted liability (and there's proof that they did), so I would've imagined the insurance deem him as responsible. I'll just tag @IWMTom which should be able to advise you with this.

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Cars and motoring. :smile:

its really very annoying because my insurers are saying he isnt liable unless he says so to his own insurer. And because he didn't agree to be recoreded they wont use the evidence i sent.

the van belonged to a company. ive spoke to one of the managers who knows about the accident and how it was the van drivers fault however they are now refusing to tell their insurers the truth and tell them the van driver lied cuz they think it will look bad on thier company.

really pissed off.
Original post by A321
its really very annoying because my insurers are saying he isnt liable unless he says so to his own insurer. And because he didn't agree to be recoreded they wont use the evidence i sent.

the van belonged to a company. ive spoke to one of the managers who knows about the accident and how it was the van drivers fault however they are now refusing to tell their insurers the truth and tell them the van driver lied cuz they think it will look bad on thier company.

really pissed off.

Whether the other driver agreed to being filmed or not- it still shows them admitting that its their fault. It is still evidence.
I can understand the company not wanting to look bad and all that, but your insurer is just taking their side, which is stupid because they would end up having to pay out.
Insurers dont like paying out unless they have to, so you would have thought they would be supporting you and trying to get them to admit fault, but obviously not.
Id go to the financial ombusdman if you arent happy and explain to them whats happened. They should hopefully be able to look into it for you.
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Whether the other driver agreed to being filmed or not- it still shows them admitting that its their fault. It is still evidence.
I can understand the company not wanting to look bad and all that, but your insurer is just taking their side, which is stupid because they would end up having to pay out.
Insurers dont like paying out unless they have to, so you would have thought they would be supporting you and trying to get them to admit fault, but obviously not.
Id go to the financial ombusdman if you arent happy and explain to them whats happened. They should hopefully be able to look into it for you.
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

Yeah it just doesn't make sense, its like they are working against me. I was thinking of going to the company again and telling the manager how I have all this recorded evidence of them and will take it to court if I have to. Maybe that might give them a bit of a push in telling the truth?
Because as far as I know its not illegal to record.

The ombudsmen take 3 months to sort issues, will my insurance be willing to wait that long? or can I tell them to leave the claim open?
Original post by A321

Not illegal what-so-ever, as long as it's in a public place and you're not harassing them.
Original post by A321
Yeah it just doesn't make sense, its like they are working against me. I was thinking of going to the company again and telling the manager how I have all this recorded evidence of them and will take it to court if I have to. Maybe that might give them a bit of a push in telling the truth?

The ombudsmen take 3 months to sort issues, will my insurance be willing to wait that long? or can I tell them to leave the claim open?

Speaking to the company and threatening to go to court actually sounds like a decent idea. Maybe it will push them into telling the truth and admitting liability, because they will look far worse going to court than admitting a minor accident.
It does seem strange that your insurance company are working against you rather than with you. Maybe threatening them with the financial ombudsman might push them to start sorting it as well (you might not be going to them, but threatening to can sometimes do the trick).

Quick Reply

Latest