The Student Room Group

Labour discussing plans to include trans women on women only shortlists

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by EqualitySloth
Trans isnt a mental illness, look it up. On official websites such as the UK’s NHS, it says that it is not a mental illness. Look it up if you want to

You're going tp have to indulge me here - believing something to be wrong with your body i.e. being born in the wrong one would seem to me to be the definition of a mental illness...
Original post by Napp
You're going tp have to indulge me here - believing something to be wrong with your body i.e. being born in the wrong one would seem to me to be the definition of a mental illness...

Would you then also believe that being gay, or asexual, or bi etc is a mental illness?
Im not really sure how to explain that trans isn’t a mental illness though?
Trans isnt a mental illness, look it up. On official websites such as the UK’s NHS, it says that it is not a mental illness. Look it up if you want to

So when doctors say what you want to hear, you tell people to listen, when they question they are labelled transphobic?
Reply 183
I think Labour should instead introduce an LGBT list, female representation in parliament has significantly improved and is continuing to improve while LGBT representation is still lacking…
Reply 184
Would you then also believe that being gay, or asexual, or bi etc is a mental illness?
Im not really sure how to explain that trans isn’t a mental illness though?

I make no comment on those although I would say its facetious to compare transexuals to gays etc. One involves deeply unnatural changes i.e. surgery, drugs etc. whilst the other is, not to put to fine a point on it, a proclivity for who one shacks up with. They are completely different.

What else would you call this 'gender dysthoria' other than a mental affliction then?

gender dysphorianounMEDICINE

the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex.

It certainly sounds like an illness...

It

It certainly sounds like an illness...

It

You dont have to undergo surgery to be trans, also why is surgery unnatural? Gender dysphoria is a ‘mental affliction’ and most of the time surgery is what helps end the dysphoria. If not surgery, then acceptance of who they are, and living the life that they want
When the suicide rate is 40%, I call it a mental illness

It is a mental illness. There are very high trans suicide rates.

American psychiatric association says gender dysphoria is a mental health disorder and the nhs treatment for it is psychological help.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Unkilled
It is a mental illness. There are very high trans suicide rates.

Yeah, because they’re constantly ridiculed and told that who they are is wrong or a sin
Original post by paul514
American psychiatric association says gender dysphoria is a mental health disorder and the nhs treatment for it is psychological help.

Gender dysphoria is a mental illness, but being transgender isnt
Gender dysphoria is a mental illness, but being transgender isnt

The first line from the American psychiatric association ....

Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender with which he/she/they identify.

That’s transgender
Reply 192
Original post by paul514
The first line from the American psychiatric association ....

Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender with which he/she/they identify.

That’s transgender

Since gender is then assigned one can reassign it without needing an operation. Physical is called sex because there is a difference between sex and gender. sex is biological while gender is social.you cannot change sex unless you literally change every cell in the body. While gender is social so you can choose what it is without an operation therefore no need to spend NHS money on something unnecessary.
Original post by VGM
Since gender is then assigned one can reassign it without needing an operation. Physical is called sex because there is a difference between sex and gender. sex is biological while gender is social.you cannot change sex unless you literally change every cell in the body. While gender is social so you can choose what it is without an operation therefore no need to spend NHS money on something unnecessary.

Later on the same page the American psychiatric association says....

Gender dysphoria is not the same as gender nonconformity, which refers to behaviors not matching the gender norms or stereotypes of the gender assigned at birth.

The salient fact is that they believe they are a different gender which is what ‘trans’ people believe.

That’s gender dysphoria
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Unkilled
Holy hell. Did you take them to court?

I have no idea how you do that.

It is a black stain on my moral record that I did nothing though.

I wasn't exactly a blue labour type before I had those string of jobs but whenever someone wants me to enage in anti-immigrant politics I just remember the poepel I sue to work with... and nope, I am not selling them down the river.
Reply 195
Original post by paul514
Later on the same page the American psychiatric association says....

Gender dysphoria is not the same as gender nonconformity, which refers to behaviors not matching the gender norms or stereotypes of the gender assigned at birth.

The salient fact is that they believe they are a different gender which is what ‘trans’ people believe.

That’s gender dysphoria

no my point is, if they believe they're of a different gender then so be it. they don't need an operation, if gender is a social thing then you don't need an operation for it.As for them being unhappy with what they're born with, tough. You can't change the circumstances of your birth. They may believe they are a different gender but that doesn't mean they require an operation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VGM
no my point is, if they believe they're of a different gender then so be it. they don't need an operation, if gender is a social thing then you don't need an operation for it.As for them being unhappy with what they're born with, tough. You can change the circumstances of your birth. They may believe they are a different gender but that doesn't mean they require an operation.

That’s a separate issue.

The point is the people on this thread won’t accept to be trans you will have gender dysphoria - a mental health condition.

Being trans is to be delusional.
The feelings of conflict is the gender dysphoria; the actual being and feeling like another gender is the trans part
The feelings of conflict is the gender dysphoria; the actual being and feeling like another gender is the trans part

Nope the thinking you are a different gender is gender dysphoria
Yes, even if they still have a penis. Biological sex is completely different from gender and gender identity, so even if they still have a penis, they are a woman

yeah right, that's hilarious, - are you trying to say that if a another man has some interaction with this penis then he's not gay? I mean come on, get real!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending