The Student Room Group

Braces

So I'm going to go to the dentist because I really need braces. The thing is, they're going to have to take 4 teeth out. To be honest, I am a scaredy-cat, but I do have quite a high pain intolerance level. I want to know if it hurts a lot so that I can be prepared. Also, I have watched a lot of videos of people getting teeth out and it really looks gruesome. I've mostly seen ones in America and stuff but the procedure in England must be different. Also, I want to know if getting the braces tightened hurts a lot.
I had to get four teeth out as well. For me it didn't really hurt (my dentist used extra anesthetic so ask if you can have slightly more) but it was the noise more than anything. You feel a slight tug and then its out. Usually it's quite a straightforward process but sometimes the tooth can be harder to get out in which case you just feel a bit more tugging.

As for the procedure (This might vary by dentist) mine laid me back almost so that i was flat and took them out that way so I didn't really see anything..

getting them tightened is a weird one. It doesn't particularly hurt but it's a sort of weird ache and you need to stick to soft food for a few days
Original post by Jackieox
I had to get four teeth out as well. For me it didn't really hurt (my dentist used extra anesthetic so ask if you can have slightly more) but it was the noise more than anything. You feel a slight tug and then its out. Usually it's quite a straightforward process but sometimes the tooth can be harder to get out in which case you just feel a bit more tugging.

As for the procedure (This might vary by dentist) mine laid me back almost so that i was flat and took them out that way so I didn't really see anything..

getting them tightened is a weird one. It doesn't particularly hurt but it's a sort of weird ache and you need to stick to soft food for a few days

Thanks. I was getting really worried because my parents were encouraging me NOT to get them. My cousins had them but apparently it was so painful they took them off. But now I definitely am going to get them. Thanks once again. :biggrin:
Original post by Zarihhhx
So I'm going to go to the dentist because I really need braces. The thing is, they're going to have to take 4 teeth out. To be honest, I am a scaredy-cat, but I do have quite a high pain intolerance level. I want to know if it hurts a lot so that I can be prepared. Also, I have watched a lot of videos of people getting teeth out and it really looks gruesome. I've mostly seen ones in America and stuff but the procedure in England must be different. Also, I want to know if getting the braces tightened hurts a lot.

I had to get 4 of my adult molars taken out before I got my braces. I was nervous as well, but the thing that hurt most was getting the anaesthetic injected in the roof of my mouth, after that I didn't feel any pain, just tugging and also heard some cracking as the teeth were pulled out (sorry if that's gross!).

Getting my braces tightened was the worst part of the treatment for me, but I'm very sensitive to pain so that might be why. My teeth were sore for several days afterwards, so I had to take a lot of painkillers and eat only soft foods :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I had to get 4 of my adult molars taken out before I got my braces. I was nervous as well, but the thing that hurt most was getting the anaesthetic injected in the roof of my mouth, after that I didn't feel any pain, just tugging and also heard some cracking as the teeth were pulled out (sorry if that's gross!).

Getting my braces tightened was the worst part of the treatment for me, but I'm very sensitive to pain so that might be why. My teeth were sore for several days afterwards, so I had to take a lot of painkillers and eat only soft foods :smile:

I feel kind of scared after hearing that. Especially since I absolutely HATE injections. But just pray I can do this and get the pain over with.:h:
I feel kind of scared after hearing that. Especially since I absolutely HATE injections. But just pray I can do this and get the pain over with.:h:

I kept my eyes closed during the procedure so I didn't see what was going on, I'd recommend doing that especially if you're scared of injections :smile:

I had 4 teeth taken out too!
Mine were adult teeth so it killed like a *****. Once you get braces, it'll probably take about a month for you to get use to them. When there tightened, they dont hurt as in pain but they are stressful on your teeth, like a tight irritation on your teeth if that makes sense

Bruv mans had braces for 4 years know. Dunno when there gonna come off.
my teeth are fine too
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by james ionicbond
I had 4 teeth taken out too!
Mine were adult teeth so.it killed like a *****. Once you get braces, it'll probably take about a month for you to by use to them. When there tightened, they dont' hurt as in pain but they are stressful on your teeth, like a tight irritation on your teeth if that makes sense

Bruv mans had braces for 4 years know. Dunno when there gonna come off. my
teeth are fine too

That makes me feel better thanks :u: i think im going to have them for four years
That makes me feel better thanks :u: i think im going to have them for four years

Brace yourself
It's gonna feel like 10 years lol 😂
Original post by james ionicbond
Brace yourself
It's gonna feel like 10 years lol 😂

Weirdly enough, I think they're cool. And I don't really mind the pain.
I've had teeth taken out in the past and it doesn't hurt at all. The dentist will inject your gums with anesthetic to numb your mouth but it's just a little nip the injection doesn't hurt either. Then they will pull out the teeth and it feels really weird but you can't feel anything at all. Your mouth will take a few hours to go back to normal after it's over so you may find yourself drooling over yourself haha.
Original post by Unknown-99
I've had teeth taken out in the past and it doesn't hurt at all. The dentist will inject your gums with anesthetic to numb your mouth but it's just a little nip the injection doesn't hurt either. Then they will pull out the teeth and it feels really weird but you can't feel anything at all. Your mouth will take a few hours to go back to normal after it's over so you may find yourself drooling over yourself haha.

Ew I hope mine isn't too bad. I've also seen that a lot of blood keeps coming after the teeth are taken out. Any advice for that?

I have braces and they're coming off soon (yay) and also had to have 4 adult teeth and 2 baby teeth that wouldn't come out on their own taken out by the dentist. I'm not gonna lie, the injection hurts (you'll have 8) but only for a bit and it's sooooo worth it! My teeth are now so straight! Tightening is painful the first 2-3 appointments, but after that it's fine and you get to change the brace colour. You'll be fine it's so important to have a nice smile :smile:
Ew I hope mine isn't too bad. I've also seen that a lot of blood keeps coming after the teeth are taken out. Any advice for that?

I was given a packet of these little cotton things to bite down on to stop the bleeding the bleeding stops after a while. The first time I got it done I didn't even notice I was bleeding because I couldn't feel anything in my mouth haha
Don’t worry you will be fine,I would have had mine for 3 years in a couple of months, after a couple of weeks it does not feel like you even have them on. And you got to remember you teeth will look amazing at the end of it :smile: and if any one takes the mick out of you, just look at how wonky their teeth are
Original post by Unknown-99
I was given a packet of these little cotton things to bite down on to stop the bleeding the bleeding stops after a while. The first time I got it done I didn't even notice I was bleeding because I couldn't feel anything in my mouth haha

How long does the gums bleed for???
Original post by xoxox_helena
I have braces and they're coming off soon (yay) and also had to have 4 adult teeth and 2 baby teeth that wouldn't come out on their own taken out by the dentist. I'm not gonna lie, the injection hurts (you'll have 8) but only for a bit and it's sooooo worth it! My teeth are now so straight! Tightening is painful the first 2-3 appointments, but after that it's fine and you get to change the brace colour. You'll be fine it's so important to have a nice smile :smile:

Thanks. That was what I was really worried about- the tightening. But 8 injections??!! Woah :eek:
How long does the gums bleed for???

My gums stopped bleeding completely probably less than an hour after I had the teeth taken out. Just keep biting down on the cotton strip they give you and rinse your mouth thoroughly and it will stop bleeding fairly quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending