The Student Room Group

URGENT-Got elite sixth form offers.What now?

Hey guys my name is Ján Ptačin, and I got 4 elite sixth form offers staring in Septembre 2018. Id be a Slovak international student. All of the offers include scholarships which I needed, however the last one is 80%.
I am looking for a school which would prepare me the best for Economics application to Cambridge.

My offered A-levels are:
1)Mathematics
2)Economics
3)Chemistry
4)Furthet Mathematics

the offers are:
1)Dulwich college (London)
2)Cardiff Sixth Form College (Cardiff)
3)Concord College (Shrewsbury)
4)Earlscliffe college (Folkestone,Kent)-80% scholarship offer.

Please, please I have time until monday to decide, so please help me with your experience (any inputs highly valued).

Would highly appreciate any quick and relevant response ! Cheers, Jan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JanPtacin
Hey guys my name is Ján Ptačin, and I got 4 elite sixth form offers staring in Septembre 2018. Id be a Slovak international student. All of the offers include scholarships which I needed, however the last one is 80%.
I am looking for a school which would prepare me the best for Economics application to Cambridge.

My offered A-levels are:
1)Mathematics
2)Economics
3)Chemistry
4)Furthet Mathematics

the offers are:

Please, please I have time until monday to decide, so please help me with your experience (any inputs highly valued).

You have left it a little late lol
I'd imagine they'd all give you the same kinds of opportunities to succeed as really what's most important in A levels is your own motivation.
That said, Dulwich is probably the most famous with the most well known alumni

edit: just googled Cardiff's didn't realise how good their A level results are
(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah just go to one of the ones with the 100% scholarship and that you think would be the nicest environment to learn in.
Reply 4
Original post by jdddd
You have left it a little late lol

Sorry man the thing Is that in the autumn term I studied at UWC Mahindra College of India, however I did not like the academics and many excellent teachers were about leave. I mean I climbed 4500 m mountain and jumped from 20 m high waterfalls in the middle of the jungle. But the academics were just so bad,so I switched.

So I switched to Earlscliffe for an A-level prep course for the Michaelmas term and applied to these elite colleges (as they were the only one willing to proceed to the examinations after sending hundreds of emails to top 50 UK colleges)

I guess I preffer Dulwich, but its really hard to choose....

My offered A-levels are:
1)Mathematics
2)Economics
3)Chemistry
4)Furthet Mathematics

the offers are:

Why don't you look at their websites and see the destinations of their sixth formers. My son worked at concord over the summer. Says it is very nice - academic and great results
Apply to Westminster School!
Reply 7
Original post by showaeski
I'd imagine they'd all give you the same kinds of opportunities to succeed as really what's most important in A levels is your own motivation.
That said, Dulwich is probably the most famous with the most well known alumni

edit: just googled Cardiff's didn't realise how good their A level results are

Hah, I mean I know was travelling all around the UK to do the entrance exams, for which i stidied like the whole winter break.
Since I do not have the GCSE.

I mean I guess I preffer Dulwich,but not kidding its taugh to say no to the 1st and 4th best college according to A-level results in the UK.

Would really appreciate any more comments :wink: (Also from the current students, if there are any)

Cheers, Jan.
Hah, I mean I know was travelling all around the UK to do the entrance exams, for which i stidied like the whole winter break.
Since I do not have the GCSE.

I mean I guess I preffer Dulwich,but not kidding its taugh to say no to the 1st and 4th best college according to A-level results in the UK.

Would really appreciate any more comments :wink: (Also from the current students, if there are any)

Cheers, Jan.

What is it about Dulwich that you prefer?
it definitely doesnt matter, bc it is usually up to you to revise and be independent. All of these schools will offer you similar opportunities, so i would choose an area you like most (personally i think dulwich is quite nice)
Reply 10
Original post by erratic_deus
Apply to Westminster School!

I sent them 2 emails with my CV, motivation, academic experience and extracurricular activities.

Also included diplommas, school reports, headmaster praises...

Asked if I by any chance I could still do the examination...

The thing is that Ill be finishing A-levels when 19, (my birthday is on 9.11.2000). So thus Westminster could not consider me.

But if there was any possibility of going to Westminster :O Id take it immediately ...
Reply 11
Original post by black1blade
Yeah just go to one of the ones with the 100% scholarship and that you think would be the nicest environment to learn in.

I mean I really just do not want to make a silly decision.

If you read below I studied half-term of the IB at UWC Mahindra College of India, but I hated the academics....

So right now I am just being super careful with my choices. At the moment its Dulwich I suppose, but that might change...
Reply 12
Original post by Yipyipee
it definitely doesnt matter, bc it is usually up to you to revise and be independent. All of these schools will offer you similar opportunities, so i would choose an area you like most (personally i think dulwich is quite nice)

Yeah, of course I do anticipate a lot of hard work in order get the A*, I need prep ultimate PS, read widely in econ, prep for TSA ....

But right know I just want to make the best decision fory future...

But yeah at the moment I guess its Dulwich for me :smile:
Reply 13
What is it about Dulwich that you prefer?

I just have kind of a gut feeling that Dulwich is actually a school with educational vision. Bearing in mind that all the 3 schools send about 20 people every year to Dulwich...

I mean I have a feeling that Concord and Cardiff in some sense are more of grade factories demanding things of their students which might actually help the colleges reputation more tham the students.

But I have not decided yet...
I just have kind of a gut feeling that Dulwich is actually a school with educational vision. Bearing in mind that all the 3 schools send about 20 people every year to Dulwich...

I mean I have a feeling that Concord and Cardiff in some sense are more of grade factories demanding things of their students which might actually help the colleges reputation more tham the students.

Yeah I see that. Personally I would choose Dulwich, some of the others seem quite dull. Also the area of Dulwich itself is beautiful, would be a joy to live there. It's really important that you pick somewhere you can actually imagine yourself and think you'll enjoy otherwise you won't get the most out of it. You seem quite a bright student so I'd imagine you'd do well anywhere to be honest.
Reply 15
Yeah I see that. Personally I would choose Dulwich, some of the others seem quite dull. Also the area of Dulwich itself is beautiful, would be a joy to live there. It's really important that you pick somewhere you can actually imagine yourself and think you'll enjoy otherwise you won't get the most out of it. You seem quite a bright student so I'd imagine you'd do well anywhere to be honest.

Hah, can't evaluate myself properly, thank you so much anyways :biggrin:.

I really hope for Econ at Cambridge so ll see how that ll end up... :biggrin: Thanks for the advice :wink:

Cardiff definitely a grade factory. There was a programme on tv a couple of years ago about it. Academics brilliant but I don't think the kids had much fun. They didn't look too happy
Reply 17
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Cardiff definitely a grade factory. There was a programme on tv a couple of years ago about it. Academics brilliant but I don't think the kids had much fun. They didn't look too happy

Actually by any chance dont you have a link to that show ? I guess it would really help me to watch it before I decide...

Could not find it anywhere on the net ...
Actually by any chance dont you have a link to that show ? I guess it would really help me to watch it before I decide...

Could not find it anywhere on the net ...

Hi there. It was on the bbc Britain's brainiest school. It is not available on iPlayer but in am sure you can find it somewhere.

I can speak from concord experience great results but quite Asian if you are ok with that. The Cardiff gets great results. Dulwich is a very traditional school any you pick will get good results you just need to work hard
Reply 19

My offered A-levels are:
1)Mathematics
2)Economics
3)Chemistry
4)Furthet Mathematics

the offers are:

I would say Dulwich college (London) only because its a school that has a very good reputation ( Have heard about it the most ) and it is in London so therefore you will probably have more opportunities.

However I would also argue that since they are all amazing schools with outstanding results I think you should not only look at their results , but which school you liked most and would feel more comfortable in . Theres no point of going to a school no matter how good it is if you don't like the atmosphere there.

If you are hardworking no matter what school you go to you will get where you want to.

So really its more of a choice about where you think you will fit in best.

Quick Reply

Latest