The Student Room Group

UCL or York for Psychology 2018?

Which would you say is better? & reasons please! 😊
London and York are two very different places. One is big with lot and lots of things going on. The other is small with fewer people and less to do. London is also more expensive, can you afford it? Do you feel happy around more or less people? Do you care about clubbing and the nightlife?
I'm assuming you have offers from both?

If so, the courses (from the brief look I gave them) seem to be broadly the same. However, I strongly recommend having a trawl through the courses and their modules to see which you prefer. If your UCL offer is A*AA, that's might be something to take into consideration.

If you like both courses and the grades aren't an issue, I would suggest thinking about where you want to stay, going to open days and speaking to current students - see how much the workload is... It's likely that UCL has a better reputation, but that might mean a huge amount of work.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Martins1
I'm assuming you have offers from both?

If so, the courses (from the brief look I gave them) seem to be broadly the same. However, I strongly recommend having a trawl through the courses and their modules to see which you prefer. If your UCL offer is A*AA, that's might be something to take into consideration.

If you like both courses and the grades aren't an issue, I would suggest thinking about where you want to stay, going to open days and speaking to current students - see how much the workload is... It's likely that UCL has a better reputation, but that might mean a huge amount of work.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response! My UCL offer is AAA and my York offer is AAB. My predicted grades are
A* in English Literature
A* in Psychology
A* in Business Studies
A in General Studies
A* in EPQ

You’re right, the courses are largely similar but I will do that thank you. I agree that UCL has the better reputation and I love London! I come from a small city so it would completely throw me out of my comfort zone, which is good. The only downsides are the non-campus and the expenses :frown:(
Original post by lphillips4
Thanks for your response! My UCL offer is AAA and my York offer is AAB. My predicted grades are
A* in English Literature
A* in Psychology
A* in Business Studies
A in General Studies
A* in EPQ

You’re right, the courses are largely similar but I will do that thank you. I agree that UCL has the better reputation and I love London! I come from a small city so it would completely throw me out of my comfort zone, which is good. The only downsides are the non-campus and the expenses :frown:(

Seems to me that you're more than capable of getting those grades! So I guess that's not an issue.
I guess writing a pro's and con's list helps. Then weight each pro/con (e.g. expenses is quite important, living far from home is less important). I find that that helps me when I'm struggling with an important decision.

Pro's of UCL from what I can see:
Very well renowned
Rigorous course
In a big city

Con's
EXPENSIVE
harder to get into
non-campus

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Martins1
Seems to me that you're more than capable of getting those grades! So I guess that's not an issue.
I guess writing a pro's and con's list helps. Then weight each pro/con (e.g. expenses is quite important, living far from home is less important). I find that that helps me when I'm struggling with an important decision.

Pro's of UCL from what I can see:
Very well renowned
Rigorous course
In a big city

Con's
EXPENSIVE
harder to get into
non-campus

hope this helps :smile:

That helps massively! Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest