The Student Room Group

Long distance relationship problem

Has anyone been in a long distance relationship between England and northern Ireland with neither wanting to move and if you lived near each other you’d be living together and probably engaged? If so, did you decide to be the one to move or end the relationship you thought was the one?

Scroll to see replies

If neither of you want to move, what happens in the future? Do you remain in a lifetime long distance relationship? If you love each other, you need to compromise on what you both want. What is making you and your partner unwilling to move?
Reply 2
Where do you live and where does your partner live?
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
If neither of you want to move, what happens in the future? Do you remain in a lifetime long distance relationship? If you love each other, you need to compromise on what you both want. What is making you and your partner unwilling to move?

I mean neither wants to move and my decision is do I just move or do I end it.
Neither wants to leave family or culture.
Reply 4
Original post by rsmccune

What does family and culture have to do with love?
Reply 5
Because we have to choose whether one of us is going to leave our family and our culture or if we are going to end the relationship.

I think the two of you need to have a talk about where things are at currently, and where you see things going in the future. It will be hard to maintain the same thing (living apart) forever. You need to talk to your partner to see what solution is best, as she may think things differently to you.
Reply 7
We’ve had those conversations and basically he doesn’t want to move and I don’t want to move but we don’t want to end it either. So at the minute I’m trying to figure out whether to suck it up and move or just say goodbye.
Reply 8
I don’t know anyone who had made that decision before, which they went for and whether they felt they made the right choice.
I was in this situation with a partner who lived in Canada. I ended it when it became clear that we were never going to close the distance.
I don't really see what the issue here is NI is so close and it's so cheap to fly between the two countries. So it's kind of rubbish to say you wont be able to see family as you could literally fly off for the weekend for under 70 quid with return from Gatwick and even cheaper if you flew from Manchester or Birmingham. If you say your relationship is that serious that you would be engaged were it not for the distance then you guys seriously need to think about what you actually want from this relationship if this little bit of distance is a problem. You won't be seeing your family everyday you'll have work anyway (supposedly) and you would in theory be busy with other things in your life.Unless you guys are planning on living with your parents. Culturally there is not much of a difference between England and NI (from what I've experienced) except the NI seem to dislike protestants or catholics depending on which side of the fence you sit.
Reply 11
damn talk about settling... just find someone in your own area mate
Original post by Random.guy
I don't really see what the issue here is NI is so close and it's so cheap to fly between the two countries. So it's kind of rubbish to say you wont be able to see family as you could literally fly off for the weekend for under 70 quid with return from Gatwick and even cheaper if you flew from Manchester or Birmingham. If you say your relationship is that serious that you would be engaged were it not for the distance then you guys seriously need to think about what you actually want from this relationship if this little bit of distance is a problem. You won't be seeing your family everyday you'll have work anyway (supposedly) and you would in theory be busy with other things in your life.Unless you guys are planning on living with your parents. Culturally there is not much of a difference between England and NI (from what I've experienced) except the NI seem to dislike protestants or catholics depending on which side of the fence you sit.

Flying over for one day every once in a while isn’t the same as seeing them nearly every day and it’s not cheap to fly because we’d have to fly from Heathrow. The family thing is more about when we have kids really, they’d grow up not really knowing my family that well. Also there’s a massive difference in culture between NI and the south of England, and the education system is better in NI. Also we would have to live cramped in his house in England, we couldn’t afford a place to live like we could here. Plus I can’t move until 2020 anyway because I’m doing a masters here that includes 9 months working in Boston, USA. So I don’t know what we’d do in the meantime. 😣
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nerry
damn talk about settling... just find someone in your own area mate

Settling? How?
Original post by sinfonietta
I was in this situation with a partner who lived in Canada. I ended it when it became clear that we were never going to close the distance.

Are you happy with your decision or do you ever regret it?
Reply 15
Settling? How?

dating someone in a different country. thats desperation for a girl right there
Original post by Nerry
dating someone in a different country. thats desperation for a girl right there

Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion 😂
Flying over for one day every once in a while isn’t the same as seeing them nearly every day and it’s not cheap to fly because we’d have to fly from Heathrow. The family thing is more about when we have kids really, they’d grow up not really knowing my family that well. Also there’s a massive difference in culture between NI and the south of England, and the education system is better in NI. Also we would have to live cramped in his house in England, we couldn’t afford a place to live like we could here. Plus I can’t move until 2020 anyway because I’m doing a masters here that includes 9 months working in Boston, USA. So I don’t know what we’d do in the meantime. 😣

I don't see why you would fly from Heathrow as you can get cheaper flights to Belfast from either Luton Gatwick etc. so you are choosing the more expensive option of Heathrow. Also the family thing you are only then thinking about your family if he moves over to NI wouldnt your kids never see his family either then? Personally, i dont really find it an issue for your kids to not see either grandparents everyday and don't see a reason for it unless you are planning on dumping them on your parents as babysitters since day care is expensive so I'd understand that. Plus with skype, facetime, facebook video call, google + there many ways your future kids could talk to them still. Is the education in NI seriously that much better then in England? I only ask as i've studies in neither as i grew up abroad in an international school. It sounds more then that you want a cheap house which would be larger then what you'd be able to get for the same price comparatively in England. But have you also considered that England has better job opportunities then NI? BTW I hope this doesn't sound argumentative I'm just saying what ever is coming into my head. Regarding you going to Boston could he do some volunteering maybe for that time period or get a temp job there to be with you, or just do long dist again as whats 9 months by this point ahaha.
Are you happy with your decision or do you ever regret it?

Sometimes I regret it, but I get over it once I remind myself why we broke up and that even if we were still together now nothing would have changed.
Original post by Random.guy
I don't see why you would fly from Heathrow as you can get cheaper flights to Belfast from either Luton Gatwick etc. so you are choosing the more expensive option of Heathrow. Also the family thing you are only then thinking about your family if he moves over to NI wouldnt your kids never see his family either then? Personally, i dont really find it an issue for your kids to not see either grandparents everyday and don't see a reason for it unless you are planning on dumping them on your parents as babysitters since day care is expensive so I'd understand that. Plus with skype, facetime, facebook video call, google there many ways your future kids could talk to them still. Is the education in NI seriously that much better then in England? I only ask as i've studies in neither as i grew up abroad in an international school. It sounds more then that you want a cheap house which would be larger then what you'd be able to get for the same price comparatively in England. But have you also considered that England has better job opportunities then NI? BTW I hope this doesn't sound argumentative I'm just saying what ever is coming into my head. Regarding you going to Boston could he do some volunteering maybe for that time period or get a temp job there to be with you, or just do long dist again as whats 9 months by this point ahaha.

I have a big family and we see each other almost everyday, his family is just his mum and sister so even though it may not sound it, when I’m over there it’s a massive difference. I know all the things I don’t want to leave he’d be missing too if he moved but he’s already made the decision not to for those reasons. The education system is very very different and results here are much higher than england every year and I’d rather my kids have a NI culture if possible rather than look down on NI like they would growing up in England. He’s very accepted over here, when I go over there people are quite condescending about the fact I’m from NI. You can get a nicer house here for the same money which would be a future consideration but right now we couldn’t afford anywhere at all over there as I can’t get a proper job yet and the difference in wage is nowhere near the difference in living costs (we’ve researched it all). He won’t come to Boston for the nine months because he’s started a new job before Christmas and wants to stay and work his way up even though Boston won’t be for another year anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending