The Student Room Group

Question about the duration of Writing-up period

Hi all!

I'd like to ask which is the usual duration of the writing-up period which is the final part of the PhD.
I believe it's a whole semester...My concern is that the stipend stops being paid to you for this period and if it's several months, I'll struggle to live without it while being in one of the hardest and busiest parts of the PhD.
Is it common to stop renting and leave with your family (even in your country-outside UK) for this period to be able to live without the stipend?

Is it up to us to state the duration of this period (let's say few weeks before the examination) to avoid a prolonged non-paid period?

Thanks
At our uni they give you extra teaching work if you need more money. I’d discuss it with your supervisor, they may be more than happy to have skype meetings with you while you write up, but remember that you will need to pay for the plane journeys to submit and do your viva
Original post by SVP11

Depends what sort of PhD you are doing. I had no 'writing up' period, I wrote all the way through.
You'd have to check with your specific uni/department. In my department (and I believe across my uni as a whole), the write-up year is a whole year if full-time (4th year), or two years if part-time. During that time you don't pay the normal (full) tuition fee rate.

I know people in my department who have returned to their country of origin for the write-up year, and even some who have lived in their country of origin before that (though usually that is due to doing fieldwork in their home nation). But I'm guessing policy on whether this can be done varies from uni to uni :yes:
Reply 4
Mine is a year (from last October) but I want to submit by June. We pay normal fees. Money is TIGHT. I went from full scholarship to nothing except teaching time, so about 1300 a month to 240 a month. It is a struggle. Taking on more teaching is sometimes an option but it will affect your writing.
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
Mine is a year (from last October) but I want to submit by June. We pay normal fees. Money is TIGHT. I went from full scholarship to nothing except teaching time, so about 1300 a month to 240 a month. It is a struggle. Taking on more teaching is sometimes an option but it will affect your writing.

Wasn't it an option to state that your writing period will be significantly shorter? Does it have to be a fixed year?
Reply 6
Original post by SVP11
Wasn't it an option to state that your writing period will be significantly shorter? Does it have to be a fixed year?

No, the AHRC specified it, not me or my dept.

If I finish before the year (I will), great. But practically changes nothing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
So, I asked my supervisor and we don't have a fixed writing-up period. I could start writing now and finish at the end of the 3 funded years stating the start and finish of the writing-up just one day before the presentation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending