The Student Room Group

Mum says she has no hope in me...

Just heard my mum tell her friend on the phone that she has no hope for me getting into uni because I got up at half 10 this morning and didn't start revising till about 11- I'm currently holding an offer for medicine and waiting to hear back from 2 other interviews (offer AAA). It wouldn't be so demoralising if I didn't feel like I have tried and worked hard for this my entire life. My family has always had an unnatural obsession with academic achievement but have also always had faith in my abilities to achieve what ever I try to achieve. But hearing this has broken me as I feel as if theres nothing more I can do, if my own family don't believe I can get the grades I need, what hope do I have? I just feel lost.

Any advice on this situation is welcome and probably needed. Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
Just heard my mum tell her friend on the phone that she has no hope for me getting into uni because I got up at half 10 this morning and didn't start revising till about 11

You will fit right in at university.
Just heard my mum tell her friend on the phone that she has no hope for me getting into uni because I got up at half 10 this morning and didn't start revising till about 11- I'm currently holding an offer for medicine and waiting to hear back from 2 other interviews (offer AAA). It wouldn't be so demoralising if I didn't feel like I have tried and worked hard for this my entire life. My family has always had an unnatural obsession with academic achievement but have also always had faith in my abilities to achieve what ever I try to achieve. But hearing this has broken me as I feel as if theres nothing more I can do, if my own family don't believe I can get the grades I need, what hope do I have? I just feel lost.

Any advice on this situation is welcome and probably needed. Cheers.

Prove her wrong, dont let her bring down your self-esteem, dont give up easily
Maybe she was just in a bad mood? I know that’s not you wanted to hear but she’s doing it out love no she shouldn’t have worded it like that but it should give you the motivation to prove it wrong , if it’s meant to happen then it’ll happen whether your Mum believes in you or not , best of luck , i think you’ll get in :smile: x
Reply 4
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Prove her wrong, dont let her bring down your self-esteem, dont give up easily

It's not just this though... I'm constantly being told I'm not doing enough even though I'm working flat out till 10 every night...
Reply 5
Original post by Farhana001
Maybe she was just in a bad mood? I know that’s not you wanted to hear but she’s doing it out love no she shouldn’t have worded it like that but it should give you the motivation to prove it wrong , if it’s meant to happen then it’ll happen whether your Mum believes in you or not , best of luck , i think you’ll get in :smile: x

Thank you! I'm going to try harder than ever before no matter what :smile:
I can relate, the best advice is to let your grades or your school reports speak for themselves. Listen to what your friends and teachers say, they usually have a better idea of how good you really are at school.
if you feel really affected by this, use that emotion as motivation to do well in your exams. but i dont think its likely that you will fail, because its probably just the high expectations from your family that makes it seem like you will. set your own goals and try to achieve them, try not to care about what your mum would say as long as it makes you proud
It's not just this though... I'm constantly being told I'm not doing enough even though I'm working flat out till 10 every night...

Why does a comment like that matter? A long as you know that u are working to the best of your ability and standard, comments like that should not even matter, it just shows that you are giving in to what she is saying and you really shouldnt be
You know your academic potential better then anyone else. The problem doesn't come when everyone else loses faith in you, it comes when you lose faith in yourself. I had my sister and teacher tell me I couldn't get an A* in the subject I was studying but I kept going and proved them wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending