The Student Room Group

Has anyone changed their driving test centre?

Hi all, I recently failed a test at isleworth test centre and I'm looking to change to tolworth as it has availability sooner, has anyone else done this? Also long shot but has anyone done a test at tolworth test centre? If so do they have bay parking? Thanks
My friend was in same position as you and changed to the tolworth centre, he said they were very friendly and he didnt have to do bay parking
I've changed mine before, however I learned the new test routes first. If you don't, you're going in relatively blind which is akin to driving somewhere new as a new full license holder; it's do-able, just harder.
I've changed mine as well due to the availability being sooner. That said, I made sure I had enough time to learn the new test route as this one had the chance of including bay parking (this was before it was a actual thing when the tests changed in December).

As far as I know, now the tests have changed, bay parking may be one of the manoeuvres you do so it's best to learn it
Original post by uptownpunkk
I've changed mine as well due to the availability being sooner. That said, I made sure I had enough time to learn the new test route as this one had the chance of including bay parking (this was before it was a actual thing when the tests changed in December).

As far as I know, now the tests have changed, bay parking may be one of the manoeuvres you do so it's best to learn it

Current guidelines for bay parking are:

Reverse bay parking: only carried out at test centres which have their own dedicated car parks. Test centres that use a shared car park will not be able to carry out the reverse bay park. However, if there's another test centre nearby that could be within reach of a test that has a dedicated car park, that could be used for the reverse bay park exercise.

Forward bay parking (new manoeuvre): carried out in a public car park so any test centre can use this manoeuvre. In extreme circumstances - e.g. lead up to Xmas when car parks are full - a test centre car park may be used for the forward bay park.

I suspect once the public are used to seeing tests in car parks at Asda, B&Q etc. then the DVSA may amend guidelines and allow examiners to conduct reverse bay parks in public car parks as well.
Reply 5
Original post by EvilShubunkin
Current guidelines for bay parking are:

Reverse bay parking: only carried out at test centres which have their own dedicated car parks. Test centres that use a shared car park will not be able to carry out the reverse bay park. However, if there's another test centre nearby that could be within reach of a test that has a dedicated car park, that could be used for the reverse bay park exercise.

Forward bay parking (new manoeuvre): carried out in a public car park so any test centre can use this manoeuvre. In extreme circumstances - e.g. lead up to Xmas when car parks are full - a test centre car park may be used for the forward bay park.

I suspect once the public are used to seeing tests in car parks at Asda, B&Q etc. then the DVSA may amend guidelines and allow examiners to conduct reverse bay parks in public car parks as well.

Guidelines are clearly made to be broken, because I did a reverse bay park at Northallerton where it's a shared car park across the road from the test centre :confused:
Original post by IWMTom
Guidelines are clearly made to be broken, because I did a reverse bay park at Northallerton where it's a shared car park across the road from the test centre :confused:

Honestly a TIL from me, since my instructor was insistent that he couldn't teach me bay parking in a shop's car park. Both first and third instructors.
Reply 7
Original post by nevershear
Honestly a TIL from me, since my instructor was insistent that he couldn't teach me bay parking in a shop's car park. Both first and third instructors.

Either I had a hard lad breaking rules, or it's not set in stone - who knows.
Original post by Drivinghelp
Hi all, I recently failed a test at isleworth test centre and I'm looking to change to tolworth as it has availability sooner, has anyone else done this? Also long shot but has anyone done a test at tolworth test centre? If so do they have bay parking? Thanks

why do you want to change? I did my test at Isleworth.
Original post by IWMTom
Either I had a hard lad breaking rules, or it's not set in stone - who knows.

Yeah my 3rd instructor had like 30 years experience as an ADI, he's one of the sensible regimental bunch. Some days I really do miss him to bits. See, I do have a soft side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending