The Student Room Group

Finishing university this semstar (with a 2:2) unsure what to do

Hey all
I'm currently studying a Business Management degree and been trying to find some work experience in my area just to help myself. However as I have been talking to a couple of close relatives I'm seriously unsure if my degree even is worth anything now that I'm 75% sure I'm on a 2:2 (with my final year project going terribly wrong and scrapping that with a 3rd).

My results are around 50% upwards to 63% but now that the final year project is hitting my grade to be a real blow (due to it being group work). I went abroad to study and have six months work experience in a charity furthermore they mentioned that they will offer me a job when I finish. Furthemore I've just been to a local job fair and managed to connect with a few people who are offering work experience (thinking of taking those chances as my uni would support me even if it's non paid where they will pay me for transport).

Currently I'm seriously wondering if my degree is going to help me at all (not even thinking of going to graduation) since I'm only getting a 2:2 (my friend who is working for a high bank said that as long as I don't get a third I'll be good). Anyone got any advice for this sort of issue?
Original post by dominicho14
Hey all
I'm currently studying a Business Management degree and been trying to find some work experience in my area just to help myself. However as I have been talking to a couple of close relatives I'm seriously unsure if my degree even is worth anything now that I'm 75% sure I'm on a 2:2 (with my final year project going terribly wrong and scrapping that with a 3rd).

My results are around 50% upwards to 63% but now that the final year project is hitting my grade to be a real blow (due to it being group work). I went abroad to study and have six months work experience in a charity furthermore they mentioned that they will offer me a job when I finish. Furthemore I've just been to a local job fair and managed to connect with a few people who are offering work experience (thinking of taking those chances as my uni would support me even if it's non paid where they will pay me for transport).

Currently I'm seriously wondering if my degree is going to help me at all (not even thinking of going to graduation) since I'm only getting a 2:2 (my friend who is working for a high bank said that as long as I don't get a third I'll be good). Anyone got any advice for this sort of issue?

You have to weigh up whether you will get a 2:2 or not.
If you have health problems, then see your GP and consider leaving the year for a restart or looking at the chance of transferring credits so you get another run at year 3. Not really allowed but desperate times and all that. The OU accept credit transfers if you cant find a brick uni. that could save you.
Best thing to do is maybe speak to your careers advisors?

You could get entry-level office jobs or do something like teaching?
Reply 3
Original post by Sceptical_John
Best thing to do is maybe speak to your careers advisors?

You could get entry-level office jobs or do something like teaching?

I've actually been bothering them on a monthly basis for the past few months; asking what is the best thing to do, they mentioned going for a master's but even than that's going to be a waste of money imo and my career passion is inside a tech firm but with my grades I seriously doubt I will even get the chance of getting into one.

Original post by 999tigger
You have to weigh up whether you will get a 2:2 or not.

If you have health problems, then see your GP and consider leaving the year for a restart or looking at the chance of transferring credits so you get another run at year 3. Not really allowed but desperate times and all that. The OU accept credit transfers if you cant find a brick uni. that could save you.

I'm pretty sure with my grades all around and caluclating it I have got about a 2:2, I've talked to the services in my unvierisity and they seemed like there's really no way of getting out of it. The staffs mentioned I am just about boarderline 2:1 but if I get a 2:2 I just feel like I wasted univeristy.

I'm pretty sure with my grades all around and caluclating it I have got about a 2:2, I've talked to the services in my unvierisity and they seemed like there's really no way of getting out of it. The staffs mentioned I am just about boarderline 2:1 but if I get a 2:2 I just feel like I wasted univeristy.

There isnt any way of getting out of it if you stay at that uni, except by working harder. they are hardly going to say look around a ditch the uni if you can find someone else to take your credits.

If you are borderline just work harder. You dont need to see a careers adviser, you do need to know exactly how your uni grade calculations work.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
There isnt any way of getting out of it if you stay at that uni, except by working harder. they are hardly going to say look around a ditch the uni if you can find someone else to take your credits.

If you are borderline just work harder. You dont need to see a careers adviser, you do need to know exactly how your uni grade calculations work.

I was contemplating about withdrawing today and finishing my degree next semester but just today I spoke to the people who were marking the grades and there's no way of me getting a 2:1 (90% sure, need my group project + one other course to get 65% or above).

Also went to careers and they told me that there's still opportunism out there when I do end up with a 2:2, I'm just going for a traineeship once I'm done with uni for some experience out in the work space. I'm just worried I won't be able to get a job once I'm done with studying :frown:
Reply 6

Also went to careers and they told me that there's still opportunism out there when I do end up with a 2:2, I'm just going for a traineeship once I'm done with uni for some experience out in the work space. I'm just worried I won't be able to get a job once I'm done with studying :frown:

You will get a job, but you'll still have to work hard for one. There are actually many that do not require a 2:2 for example Accounting, Insurance (e.g. Llyods TSB offering graduate schemes for 2:2 and above) being some that I have encountered whilst looking for summer internships. What you should be doing right now is building your cv and cover letter (try and sell them your skills and experience), as well as doing some research to be better prepared.

If you feel that you're not well prepared, there are many 1 year internships for graduate available on graduate talent pool websites, specifically for those that have graduated and lack experience
(edited 6 years ago)
I was contemplating about withdrawing today and finishing my degree next semester but just today I spoke to the people who were marking the grades and there's no way of me getting a 2:1 (90% sure, need my group project + one other course to get 65% or above).

You have to work hard and will have much fewer graduate opportunities. get in at ground floor and prove your worth.
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
You will get a job, but you'll still have to work hard for one. There are actually many that do not require a 2:2 for example Accounting, Insurance (e.g. Llyods TSB offering graduate schemes for 2:2 and above) being some that I have encountered whilst looking for summer internships. What you should be doing right now is building your cv and cover letter (try and sell them your skills and experience), as well as doing some research to be better prepared.

If you feel that you're not well prepared, there are many 1 year internships for graduate available on graduate talent pool websites, specifically for those that have graduated and lack experience

I actually had plans on going abroad (mainly back to my father's home town when I finish uni, flight and everything all booked) planning on seeing if I can land a job there, if not I'll just go back to the UK and search for one, do you think that would be too late?

My main drive is to get a social media marketing or data analysis job because through my degree I find that I excel and love doing that type of work.

I had my CV and cover letter written up before just applying to grads schemes but I'll need to edit, add when I finish uni. Although I'm not sure if going abroad would be a strength of being independent compared to those that are out there currently away from home and studying (I'm living at home).

Also forgot to mention in start of OP that I'm dyslexic, would that be a disadvantage compared to others?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending