The Student Room Group

Revison Crisis!!!!!!

Right so, I'm in year 12 and I've been finding it really hard to find an effective way to revise lately, especially in Biology and Chemistry. I know past papers are always good but I really want to learn the information first before applying it to questions but I really have no clue how. Copying notes obviously isn't helping much but I really want to get some revision done this half term as I have an assessment week coming up, so if anyone has any good methods please helppp.
Also, if anyone has any good tips for how to summarise notes to put on flash cards it would be greatly appreciated, because I really can't seem to do It and end up waiting wayyy too much on them.
Make revision sheets of the key information in a topic, so that you have to actually process the information out of the texbook/revision guide, rather than just blindly copying. Actively think about the material you're learning, and try to see how it connects to everything else you've learned so far. Check off against the specification to ensure that you've 'got' everything, and then try some past paper questions. Mark them carefully (with the examiner's report), and then go through the questions you've got wrong again with the benefit of having seen the mark scheme, and with your revision sheets alongside you. Anything you're missing, add to the sheets!
I would:
- do a brain dump of information on a sheet of A3 using info from the spec and cgp (sometimes textbook)
- then read through everything you wrote down and highlight key points (I would highlight the spec points so I made sure my notes covered them)
- then 'teach someone' that topic - i just taught myself tbh
then closer to the exam:
- condense that A3 braindump of info to a sheet of A4 and repeat the whole process

I'm a really lazy person, so I find 'condensing' quite easy - i would only write down the spec and points which i HAD to know and then try and paraphrase it in less than 10 words
Reply 3
Use brainscape - good way to make online flashcards and there are also bound to be many Spec specific ones already there.

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by SummerStrawberry
Make revision sheets of the key information in a topic, so that you have to actually process the information out of the texbook/revision guide, rather than just blindly copying. Actively think about the material you're learning, and try to see how it connects to everything else you've learned so far. Check off against the specification to ensure that you've 'got' everything, and then try some past paper questions. Mark them carefully (with the examiner's report), and then go through the questions you've got wrong again with the benefit of having seen the mark scheme, and with your revision sheets alongside you. Anything you're missing, add to the sheets!

Thank you very much, I'm definitely going to try this method as it seems that it could be very effective for learning and processing information!!
Reply 5
Original post by Jakir
Use brainscape - good way to make online flashcards and there are also bound to be many Spec specific ones already there.

Spoiler

Thank you so much, I'll definitely give it a try as it sounds very promising aha!!

Quick Reply