The Student Room Group

Feminism is becoming less and less about equality

Feminism nowadays is just angry men haters that want women to be better than men and is no longer taken seriously because of this, if anything men have less rights than women now

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by JackStevens
Feminism nowadays is just angry men haters that want women to be better than men and is no longer taken seriously because of this, if anything men have less rights than women now

Then that’s not feminism. The problem is, people with different agendas have labelled themselves as feminist so they don’t appear too extreme at first glance. Feminism isn’t the problem. It’s the people that aren’t feminist that claim to be that are the problem.
Reply 2
Totally agree
Original post by JackStevens

Anti-feminists have been claiming this for as long as feminism has existed.
Original post by ruthflame57
Then that’s not feminism. The problem is, people with different agendas have labelled themselves as feminist so they don’t appear too extreme at first glance. Feminism isn’t the problem. It’s the people that aren’t feminist that claim to be that are the problem.

Feminism is the problem. You could move to egalitarianism. But you won't, because of one of two things:
1: you don't know what that means
2: you want to cling to the bad side of feminism

Now, I can vouch you probably chose the latter. Because feminism is outdated. The belief in a patriarchy is no more justified than a belief in the Christian God. Feminism is innately anti-male because its pretense is that there is a patriarchy. This is the feminist argument:
1: There is a patriarchy, the rule of men.
2: Therefore, the problems of women must be the fault of men.
3: We must be sexist towards men to achieve equality.

This is the egalitarian argument:
1: People are not equal.
2: Therefore, we must fix some problems.
3: We can be fair to everyone to achieve equality.
Original post by anarchism101
Anti-feminists have been claiming this for as long as feminism has existed.

Yes, but rationalists have been saying this ever since feminism hated men. The third wave of feminism, around the mid-90s.
I would say the feminism haters are small men that feel tgreatened by the idea of women being allowed to compete on an even footing.

It is easy to demonise those we are afraid of.
Original post by ByEeek
I would say the feminism haters are small men that feel tgreatened by the idea of women being allowed to compete on an even footing.

It is easy to demonise those we are afraid of.

Men are not afraid of women who advocate feminism; nobody does anything to physically stop them from doing so. The issue is that many interpret an advancement of womens' rights as automatically 'good' and an advancement of male rights as automatically 'bad', given the perceived 'patriarchal' society, which has more or less disappeared today.
Reply 8
The problem is that feminism means different things to different people. There aren’t any set policies or beliefs apart from a vague request for equality, which people go about getting in whichever way they think is best.

Feminism isn’t an organisation, it’s a mess. What one social media feminist says is different to what someone on the news says. There’s no consistency. That’s why there’s so much “if they believe that they aren’t a REAL feminist” going around, because a ‘real’ feminist doesn’t exist. It’s all personal opinion.
Personally, I'd say that all of the "feminist acts" that we see on the internet are sending the complete wrong message. It seems that instead of wishing for equality, it's as if all these women do is shout at men and make accusations. It seems completely stupid in my opinion, if we truly want equality everyone should be treated equally, instead of trying to flip the table and make men treated worse than women. Of course, this is just my opinion.
Original post by rugbycricket
Men are not afraid of women who advocate feminism; nobody does anything to physically stop them from doing so. The issue is that many interpret an advancement of womens' rights as automatically 'good' and an advancement of male rights as automatically 'bad', given the perceived 'patriarchal' society, which has more or less disappeared today.

But of course. When there is no competition and then suddenly there is competition, those who have had is so good without having to compete naturally fear for their standing. But this isn't about men's rights being lost. Men have always had full privilege. All feminists are asking for is equal access to that privilege. Giving women equal rights is not about taking rights away from men. That is merely used as a false argument against equality.
By feminism do you mean a minority of idiots you constantly come across? Most of them are quiet with their opinions
This works the over way around... when people hear 'feminist' they roll their eyes and put the gun sign against their head. (At least that's what someone did in my English class). Many confuse the meaning of a feminist. However, in today's society, I believe women have been treated equally more than ever.
Original post by ByEeek
But of course. When there is no competition and then suddenly there is competition, those who have had is so good without having to compete naturally fear for their standing. But this isn't about men's rights being lost. Men have always had full privilege. All feminists are asking for is equal access to that privilege. Giving women equal rights is not about taking rights away from men. That is merely used as a false argument against equality.

Women have, and have had for some time, equality in the sense of equality of opportunity. The fact that some 30,000 more women were accepted into British Universities than men is quite a remarkable achievement considering a century ago, being born a female eliminated your right to decide your nation's future. Simply having this debate at all contributes indirectly to the pro-feminist bias which ironically, improves the likelihood of women taking a job, for example. The issue arises when feminists continuously campaign for their view of 'equality' which of course, by their standards, can only be achieved at the expense of men.
so what? MGTOW is the same thing, made up of scores of bitter, butt-ugly men who hate women just because they've been rejected time and time again.

Feminism is the same, the majority of them are ugly, overweight, hippie women who need to be angry about something

No idea why everyone gives either group the time of day, neither represent the majority.
Original post by WestDragon
Personally, I'd say that all of the "feminist acts" that we see on the internet are sending the complete wrong message. It seems that instead of wishing for equality, it's as if all these women do is shout at men and make accusations. It seems completely stupid in my opinion, if we truly want equality everyone should be treated equally, instead of trying to flip the table and make men treated worse than women. Of course, this is just my opinion.

They’re more about getting more followers for their account than for any form of feminism. Who can shout the loudest and get the most attention, the best media coverage. They aren’t really trying to change anything, just create outrage and start arguments.
Reply 16
Women do seem to hate men

First we were called sperm donors and now we're all sorts!

Funny how no one has mentioned how women automatically get custody of kids in the UK. Anyone else notice how when you go to retail shops like Next or River Island how men always have a snaller range of clorhes and the men sections is always on a lower or a higher floor and the women section is on the same level as the entrance door
Feminism is cancerous! Period.

Anyone who says otherwise is a feminist.
Original post by Unkilled
Yes, but rationalists have been saying this ever since feminism hated men. The third wave of feminism, around the mid-90s.

My first comment still serves just as well as a response to this.
Original post by rugbycricket
Women have, and have had for some time, equality in the sense of equality of opportunity.

Agreed. But have you not read the news recently. Yes, women have more opportunity than at any other time, but they don't have equal opportunity. Not even by a country mile. If you are a young ambitious woman in your late 20s seeking promotion, chances are you will be turned down on the basis that you "might" have children some time in the future.

What having children has to do with anything is way beyond me? The phrase "If you want a job doing, give it to a busy woman" didn't come out of no where. It is just that people perceive that someone wishing to have kids will be worse off and will leave the company and never come back. Well of course they will if that is the attitude. It is a self fulfilling prophecy. Yet employers who give a little flexibility, not just to families but to all employees reap the rewards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending