The Student Room Group

How can I get an A* in economics

Ok, so I really want an A* in economics but I am getting E’s and D’s. What can I do to improve. I am feeling really overwhelmed, my exams are in just over 3 months. I have finished all content for paper 1 (I do edexcel) and I am still getting these terrible grades and I don’t know what to do to improve. Any help/advice would greatly appreciated.
lots and lots of past papers
Reply 2
You’re username is so relatable.

Do you feel you struggle with the content or the exam papers? Or is it a mix?
Original post by I need help ok
Ok, so I really want an A* in economics but I am getting E’s and D’s. What can I do to improve. I am feeling really overwhelmed, my exams are in just over 3 months. I have finished all content for paper 1 (I do edexcel) and I am still getting these terrible grades and I don’t know what to do to improve. Any help/advice would greatly appreciated.

Did edexcel econ last year, now study econ at a top london uni. My advice is:
1) Hammer the content. Know the book and content inside out. But don't memorise it, fully grasp the nature of the concept. With every concept, think how/why? If you need help with content, use Tutor2U, a YouTube channel and website with a range of videos to help learn the stuff.
2) Exam practice- by this I mean essentially what is the examiner looking for? Point, example, explain in detail using a chain of analysis, evaluate. EVALUATION IS KEY. The big marks are for evaluating and it gets you to the top brackets so you need to be able to critique a policy. Common evaluations are time (short term effect is ..., long term effect is...), the magnitude (how much did rates rise/ consumption fall/ investment decline...) Good resource for exam practice is past papers (use the old spec) and EconPlusDal (YouTube channel)
3) Timing- comes with exam practice
Original post by SherlockD
1) Hammer the content. Know the book and content inside out. But don't memorise it, fully grasp the nature of the concept. With every concept, think how/why? If you need help with content, use Tutor2U, a YouTube channel and website with a range of videos to help learn the stuff.
2) Exam practice- by this I mean essentially what is the examiner looking for? Point, example, explain in detail using a chain of analysis, evaluate. EVALUATION IS KEY. The big marks are for evaluating and it gets you to the top brackets so you need to be able to critique a policy. Common evaluations are time (short term effect is ..., long term effect is...), the magnitude (how much did rates rise/ consumption fall/ investment decline...) Good resource for exam practice is past papers (use the old spec) and EconPlusDal (YouTube channel)

For knowing content what types of revision techniques did you use? Also, did you use real life examples in your essays eg current inflation rate or an example of a monopoly
Reply 5

Is this for A-Level?

If so, I would recommend the following:

Start putting some time into re-learning and revising economics. Getting E's and D's implies that you have pretty big knowledge gaps. It would be best to brush up on key terms/processes by reading through a textbook/revision guide/watching EconplusDal

Understand what examiners want. At the A*/A level you must be showing all four key skills: analysis, evaluation, knowledge and application. Notice the stresses on analysis and evaluation - these are key for reaching the top grades. At the A*/A level, knowledge and application is a given

Don't write out full essays when revising - plan them in detail. Try and ensure that for every paragraph you plan is well structured and contains all of the key A*/A skills

To maximise the likelihood of obtaining an A* start reading The Economist - could not recommend it enough. It definitely gives you a lot of unique points which can be used in essays when discussing some of the core content in the syllabus

Check out this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=75229486&highlight=
^ I wrote a response to somebody asking how they could improve their essay technique and way of answering questions so that they can hit the top essay marking bands - it will be very useful for you.
revision
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
For knowing content what types of revision techniques did you use? Also, did you use real life examples in your essays eg current inflation rate or an example of a monopoly

Types of revision techniques? Honestly right now, forget techniques. Sit with the book and just memorise. Research. repeat. write stuff down.

Real life examples are great so do use them
Original post by Zxyn
You’re username is so relatable.

Do you feel you struggle with the content or the exam papers? Or is it a mix?

Exam papers defo, content I love, but in exams I ALWAYS RUN OUT OF TIME. I don’t know what to do, I am constantly doing papers but my timing is so bad and I really need an A or A*
Original post by FTSE420
Is this for A-Level?

If so, I would recommend the following:

Start putting some time into re-learning and revising economics. Getting E's and D's implies that you have pretty big knowledge gaps. It would be best to brush up on key terms/processes by reading through a textbook/revision guide/watching EconplusDal

Understand what examiners want. At the A*/A level you must be showing all four key skills: analysis, evaluation, knowledge and application. Notice the stresses on analysis and evaluation - these are key for reaching the top grades. At the A*/A level, knowledge and application is a given

Don't write out full essays when revising - plan them in detail. Try and ensure that for every paragraph you plan is well structured and contains all of the key A*/A skills

To maximise the likelihood of obtaining an A* start reading The Economist - could not recommend it enough. It definitely gives you a lot of unique points which can be used in essays when discussing some of the core content in the syllabus

Check out this thread:

^ I wrote a response to somebody asking how they could improve their essay technique and way of answering questions so that they can hit the top essay marking bands - it will be very useful for you.

Yh this is what a lot of people tell me, but the thing is I KNOW I understand the content but I just cannot write it In the given time. My teacher even said “what the heck is this” after getting one of my mocks back, because she knew that I had a good understanding of economics but I didn’t finish any of the longer questions. As a result, my grades suffered (also I think my school is very harsh because at AS I got a C (1. Ums off a B) in economics (which didn’t count) which I done no revision for, but in all my mocks prior to it I got E’s and D’s).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SherlockD

Okay thanks for the help. I still have one question HOW MUCH APPLICATION (OUTSIDE Knowledge ) IS NEEDED for theme 2/4 (paper 2) because my teacher has told us we effectively get no extract for paper 2. Is this true.
Okay thanks for the help. I still have one question HOW MUCH APPLICATION (OUTSIDE Knowledge ) IS NEEDED for theme 2/4 (paper 2) because my teacher has told us we effectively get no extract for paper 2. Is this true.

Honestly I can’t remember if there was an extract but for paper 2, it’s simple application like current inflation, interest rates or what I used to do is make up random facts about countries in Africa ( because the examiners won’t know everything)

Look at the paper 2 specimen paper...

Quick Reply

Latest