The Student Room Group

Seriously, is there any point? Or should I go for plan B?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by J-SP
People often come on here for reassurance that they are right or doing the right thing, rather than truly wanting people’s actual advice.

But, why argue, when given the reassurance you want, seems so weird to me.
Reply 21
[QUOTE="jdddd;76056778"]
Original post by Hughey89

Well then quit. You're ridiculous. You ask for peoples opinion on what to do and basically tell them they're wrong and try to shi* on them. What University do you go to? See your *****in* all over that too. You've had over 15 years for your life to 'start'. Maybe knuckle down now and complete something rather than drag yourself and anyone who you asked for opinions down.

I think you may be taking this too personally and I think you may have had this argument before?

Possibly with somebody who does go to an RG who has legitimately s**t on your degree/Uni and you're getting pretty defensive.

I'm not saying anything bad about the people who go or about the Uni's themselves. My Uni is in the top 50 (I'm not going to say which) and it has good research.

But the facts are that Uni's are like a brand. My £10 fruit of the loom hoodie is extremely comfortable and functional. My £180 Mammut jacket is no more or less comfortable. However, just by the branding, one is worth more than the other to people.

Sad but true.

You seem to think that I'm calling you stupid or a failure. I'm not.

But even with your optimism and your determination, you will struggle more than a non-RG student when looking for work.

As for the 15 years for my life to start, what I meant was, I have given up everything for this course, my old job, my old flat and my old life. I am not enjoying writing essays in a s**thole trying to start again.
Reply 22
Original post by J-SP
People often come on here for reassurance that they are right or doing the right thing, rather than truly wanting people’s actual advice.

I have yet to actually discuss my options. I have just had arguments about whether or not non-RG are of any worth.
Reply 23
Original post by jdddd
But, why argue, when given the reassurance you want, seems so weird to me.

Because we're not actually discussing what I asked.
Reply 24
Original post by J-SP
Except employers are hiring the equivalent of the model, not the clothing they are wearing.

Why take a non-RG when you can have one?

Like I said, only ambulance chasers advertise at our Uni. Just because they are working in law, it doesn't mean they're doing anything buy low-tort.
Reply 25
[QUOTE="Hughey89;76057352"]
Original post by jdddd

I think you may be taking this too personally and I think you may have had this argument before?

Possibly with somebody who does go to an RG who has legitimately s**t on your degree/Uni and you're getting pretty defensive.

I'm not saying anything bad about the people who go or about the Uni's themselves. My Uni is in the top 50 (I'm not going to say which) and it has good research.

But the facts are that Uni's are like a brand. My £10 fruit of the loom hoodie is extremely comfortable and functional. My £180 Mammut jacket is no more or less comfortable. However, just by the branding, one is worth more than the other to people.

Sad but true.

You seem to think that I'm calling you stupid or a failure. I'm not.

But even with your optimism and your determination, you will struggle more than a non-RG student when looking for work.

As for the 15 years for my life to start, what I meant was, I have given up everything for this course, my old job, my old flat and my old life. I am not enjoying writing essays in a s**thole trying to start again.

Thats utter nonsense lol. Russell Groups aren't worth anymore? What have you been reading? Trust me.

My Brother gets jobs with ease and he didn't go to a top 50 University let alone a Russell Group lol.

Do you just give-up with everything once you read some nonsense about something?
Reply 26
Original post by jdddd
Thats utter nonsense lol. Russell Groups aren't worth anymore? What have you been reading? Trust me.

I've been reading everything I can find on it. Look at the dearth of job available and the amount of BPTC graduates with no future. It's evident.

Just because a poster at your Uni says that "96% of our students are in full time employment", it doesn't mean they are working in law.

Original post by jdddd
My Brother gets jobs with ease and he didn't go to a top 50 University let alone a Russell Group lol.

I think you may be over stating this. Nobody gets a job with 'ease' these days.

Just because your brother got lucky, it doesn't mean that the majority of us will.

Also, it depends on what he does. If he did a job specific course that followed training in a much needed field, he of course will find work.

Original post by jdddd
Do you just give-up with everything once you read some nonsense about something?

No, that's why I've tried to start a discussion.

Hopefully I would have gotten something more than people who have spent over a year drilling in hopeful ideals about their Uni responding.

I'm at a turning point in my life where I can keep studying something that will get me a useless piece of paper which may have poor outcomes, or I can follow an old dream which might have poor outcomes.

This isn't what I had in mind and I'm just as annoyed by this as you are.
If you think that the university you're in isn't good enough then why did you decide to go? Anyway I don't know all your specific circumstances but if you think it's that bad then you should probably drop out. After all you said that your main goal is to find a career to sink your teeth into every day and find meaning, but you seem confident that you will not find that through your degree.

However it sounds to me like you're being too cynical about your degree. Obviously you would have stronger graduate prospects going to a better uni and I agree that degrees are becoming more and more saturated but a top 50 uni isn't even that bad.

Also most of the time people's talents do not overlap with their passions so you have to make compromises within your career. If you are good at law and think you could make good money from it then I'd stick with it as long as you don't hate it too much.
Reply 28
I've been reading everything I can find on it. Look at the dearth of job available and the amount of BPTC graduates with no future. It's evident.

Just because a poster at your Uni says that "96% of our students are in full time employment", it doesn't mean they are working in law.

I think you may be over stating this. Nobody gets a job with 'ease' these days.

Just because your brother got lucky, it doesn't mean that the majority of us will.

Also, it depends on what he does. If he did a job specific course that followed training in a much needed field, he of course will find work.

No, that's why I've tried to start a discussion.

Hopefully I would have gotten something more than people who have spent over a year drilling in hopeful ideals about their Uni responding.

I'm at a turning point in my life where I can keep studying something that will get me a useless piece of paper which may have poor outcomes, or I can follow an old dream which might have poor outcomes.

This isn't what I had in mind and I'm just as annoyed by this as you are.

Im not going by posters.

My Brother does but probably to do with his profession, but still.

Think bright, negative people don't get anywhere.

No, its not drilling in hopeful ideals its called having an ambition, if you look at everything with a negative mindset you won't do anything.

You must be a troll. Why go to University in the first place?

A BPTC Graduate with no future? You've got to be having a laugh - Law probably has the most transferable skills you can get in a degree lol.

You want to be a Police officer? Attitude is ****.

I'm inclined to agree with you here, but at my age and life experience, I know better than to be too optimistic, that's when getting bitten hurts the most... when you're not bracing for it. I've been bitten hard quite a few times and now I know when to brace. Practically all your waking life.

I think that (and I would advise) you always look at the worst case scenario. That way you're better prepared and if the best case comes around you're more than prepared.

I'm just sick of sitting around writing essays waiting for my life to start. And while I'm sat here doing this s**t, I'm at a University that would probably get laughed at on job or LLM applications (to good Uni's).

I suppose it varies by University as to what people want to do. The point was that just because somebody wants to be a barrister, it doesn't mean they'll achieve it, therefore judging the number of barristers that are trained every year doesn't accurately show how many people aspire to it.

I'm not sure which cohort you're referring to.

I have met people from probably less known unis than yours get into top LLMs and into top firms, as well as top grad schemes.

You're defeated, in your own mind, before you've even started. That is not conducive to success.
Reply 30
Original post by J-SP
I recruited plenty of non RG grads for law firms. It’s not the differentiator you are making it out to be

Whats your job? Exactly. What if the Non Russell Group graduate has a better grade, experience and training, or are they just thrown out the window? lol
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I have met people from probably less known unis than yours get into top LLMs and into top firms, as well as top grad schemes.

Couldn't agree more with this (and I speak from personal experience).
Reply 32
Original post by Forum User
Couldn't agree more with this (and I speak from personal experience).

If you don't mind me asking, whats your personal experience, just curious, I was thinking of doing LLM after graduating, have you done it?
Reply 33
Original post by J-SP
I recruited plenty of non RG grads for law firms. It’s not the differentiator you are making it out to be

Sorry was meant for the OP - not sure why it’s quoted you (hate the unpredictability of this app)

No problem, if anything, respect, using that app its dreadful haha
Reply 34
First of all, thank you for this.

A reasonable post. Something reasonably productive.

[QUOTE="Aardwolf;76057944"]If you think that the university you're in isn't good enough then why did you decide to go? Anyway I don't know all your specific circumstances but if you think it's that bad then you should probably drop out. After all you said that your main goal is to find a career to sink your teeth into every day and find meaning, but you seem confident that you will not find that through your degree.

I didn't really have much choice.

I'm just plugging away, day by seemingly wasted day, I sit in a University and watch my life go by doing this s**t.

But I have no choice.

Except possibly drop out and run away to France. But I'm not sure what will come of that either in a few years. (the point of this post)

Original post by Aardwolf
However it sounds to me like you're being too cynical about your degree. Obviously you would have stronger graduate prospects going to a better uni and I agree that degrees are becoming more and more saturated but a top 50 uni isn't even that bad.

Basically, I re-did two A-Levels to go to Uni and I got an A and a B, basically one grade short of the Russell Group and up until that point I had been reading nothing but bad stuff about non-RG, my careers advisers all said basically the same thing.

This site is toxic with non-RG hate and Law degrees are so abundant that it seems that you would take the higher achievers who got into better Unis to start with, no?

Again, thank you for the reasonable response.

Original post by Aardwolf
Also most of the time people's talents do not overlap with their passions so you have to make compromises within your career. If you are good at law and think you could make good money from it then I'd stick with it as long as you don't hate it too much.

Lol, I would honestly rather die than work in a law office.

A life without passion is really not worth living.
Reply 35
Original post by jdddd
Im not going by posters.

Never said you were. I was using them as an example.

Using strawman arguments will make you a poor lawyer.

Original post by jdddd
My Brother does but probably to do with his profession, but still.

Point proven then?

Original post by jdddd
Think bright, negative people don't get anywhere.

Think realistic, dreamers always end up disappointed.

Original post by jdddd
No, its not drilling in hopeful ideals its called having an ambition, if you look at everything with a negative mindset you won't do anything.

ambition =/= achievement.

Original post by jdddd
You must be a troll. Why go to University in the first place?

I had no choice other than this or the other option I stated above.

Original post by jdddd
A BPTC Graduate with no future? You've got to be having a laugh - Law probably has the most transferable skills you can get in a degree lol.

Yup. Most BPTC graduated don't become barristers. Spending an additional £10K and doing a lot of hard work to not become a barrister doesn't seem like a win to me. Why do a BPTC to end up working in recruitment?

Original post by jdddd
You want to be a Police officer? Attitude is ****.

Attitude is realistic.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by J-SP

Sorry was meant for the OP - not sure why it’s quoted you (hate the unpredictability of this app)

How do you decide?

I mean, you pick the Ox/Bridge guys first, then the RG guys. What happens next? There's so much out there that it must be hard to pick?

What do you look for when you're out of the best stuff?
Reply 37
Never said you were. I was using them as an example.

Using strawman arguments will make you a poor lawyer.

Poor example then.

Point proven then?

Not really.

Think realistic, dreamers always end up disappointed.

ambition =/= achievement.

I had no choice other than this or the other option I stated above.

Yup. Most BPTC graduated don't become barristers. Spending an additional £10K and doing a lot of hard work to not become a barrister doesn't seem like a win to me. Why do a BPTC to end up working in recruitment?

Attitude is realistic.

Honestly, a few years back I had your attitude the 'Be realistic' attitude, it made me fail. I got bad grades, thought I would get anywhere. Then, with the right people around me, I started thinking positive, thinking I could achieve anything, Im now at University and would never have thought I'd be here. Negative attitudes aren't realistic. Setting a boundary between you and something you want is a sh*t attitude, one you may class as 'realistic', but, it never gets you anywhere. Gives you the mind frame you can't achieve what you want to achieve. I know Police officers and have worked with them in the past, they are very driven, motivated individuals and positive in their attitudes.

You speak of Graduates spending 10k to end up in recruitment - which is very well paid, when you have spent ( ----- ) don't know what year you're in, but, if year 2, you would have spent around 30k and you want to drop it off and gain nothing. Levels. So realistic.
Reply 38
Original post by jdddd
Honestly, a few years back I had your attitude the 'Be realistic' attitude, it made me fail. I got bad grades, thought I would get anywhere. Then, with the right people around me, I started thinking positive, thinking I could achieve anything, Im now at University and would never have thought I'd be here. Negative attitudes aren't realistic. Setting a boundary between you and something you want is a sh*t attitude, one you may class as 'realistic', but, it never gets you anywhere. Gives you the mind frame you can't achieve what you want to achieve. I know Police officers and have worked with them in the past, they are very driven, motivated individuals and positive in their attitudes.

You speak of Graduates spending 10k to end up in recruitment - which is very well paid, when you have spent ( ----- ) don't know what year you're in, but, if year 2, you would have spent around 30k and you want to drop it off and gain nothing. Levels. So realistic.

Actually, it's a decent example of how Universities try to convince you to stay and that your degree is worth something. If they tell half truths. I'm saying don't believe everything you're told.

I'm a driven person, but I wont waste time on things that are futile. For example, I'm hanging in here in the vain hope that one day I can become a police officer. I'm not feeling confident because going to a second rate university doesn't seem like it's going to increase my chances of getting in, especially now degrees are a requirement. I'm extremely fit and healthy and I'm not stupid, I'm just not getting in due to a lack of jobs and also probably because of positive discrimination.

I have achieved things in my life through hard work. This is why I'm just thinking of sacking it off and joining the FFL, because at this point why the hell not? It's not like the FFL doesn't take determination and I'm confident that I'd be a great Legionnaire.

I want to spend my youth (especially while I have it) doing something positive and I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to convince myself that going to a second rate University because I failed to get into a good one just to graduate with no more prospects of progress towards what I know I should be doing isn't helping my motivation.

I suppose I should finish, even if it does cost me a few years of my life. If I don't graduate straight into the Police I'm going straight to France.

I'm sick of thinking about this course. I hate it.
Original post by jdddd
If you don't mind me asking, whats your personal experience, just curious, I was thinking of doing LLM after graduating, have you done it?

I started studying law aged 33 (in 2012). I did my undergraduate law degree at a university (BPP) so bad that it is frequently the butt of jokes on Legalcheek. I did an LLM at UCL, then the BPTC. I am now a pupil at a commercial / chancery set in London.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending