The Student Room Group

What is / was your hardest GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

French by a very wide margin, it as my worst grade by two grades. Was probably a bit of a vicious circle in that the worse I did, the less I cared, the less effort I put in. I just didn't have a head for it and for me it just came down to rote learning, which was horrifically dull. My teacher and I didn't like each other and she lied to my mother about me not attending extra weekend revision sessions when I had, which obviously just fueled my bitterness and resentment :no:
maths was hands down the worst for me. i did psychology and didn’t enjoy that too much but i think that was simply because of the teacher :/
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
French by a very wide margin, it as my worst grade by two grades. Was probably a bit of a vicious circle in that the worse I did, the less I cared, the less effort I put in. I just didn't have a head for it and for me it just came down to rote learning, which was horrifically dull. My teacher and I didn't like each other and she lied to my mother about me not attending extra weekend revision sessions when I had, which obviously just fueled my bitterness and resentment :no:

"the worse I do the less I care"

Literally me in English.
I got like 5/30 on the last test smh

Im good at maths though I got like the second highest in the class :P
Original post by Bill Nye
Nope.

A) wtf do you mean it contains 9 GCSEs? Do you mean 3?
B) They care more about the grades you get than the subjects you get them in - unless there is a specific requirement, which usually there isn't
C) You dont need triple science to do science A-Levels, let alone other courses.

A)In triple science biology physics and chemistry each have 3 qualifications making 9 gcses.
B) Thats pretty obvious.
C) While you may not NEED triple science to do science A-levels it increases chances of being actually accepted, including in non-science subjects, as it shows you have the capability to do well. This applies to Uni, Sixthform and maye even in your career. It's about showing you absolutely can go above and beyond to get what you want, a quality greatly appreciated when being looked at for sixthform and uni. It isn't so much about the actual knowledge but your ability and drive.
English Literature. I struggled to keep myself together with stress, and it was also 27C and I’d had to walk the way to school two miles beforehand due to traffic and barely got in the exam in time. Needless to say I had a major blank, burst into tears immediately after I put my hand down and got a 6 as a result.
French ended up being my worst grade, but I didn’t think it was particularly hard at the time because my teachers were terrible markers. Most of the people in my class were predicted A’s and A*’s, but once our coursework was moderated most barely got B’s and C’s. We were all pretty mad about that - how could we have improved if our feedback says we don’t have to?

Despite this though, I actually found Maths and English Lit to be the hardest. I’ve always been pretty weak at maths, and I just really hated analysing old English Shakespeare and poetry. But my teachers marking reflected these weaknesses and I made sure to work super hard on them (despite how painful the revision was) and I was able to achieve an A in both. So as long as long as you work at them and receive the right support, no GCSE is impossibly hard
Original post by HugeBloodyNerd
A)In triple science biology physics and chemistry each have 3 qualifications making 9 gcses.
B) Thats pretty obvious.
C) While you may not NEED triple science to do science A-levels it increases chances of being actually accepted, including in non-science subjects, as it shows you have the capability to do well. This applies to Uni, Sixthform and maye even in your career. It's about showing you absolutely can go above and beyond to get what you want, a quality greatly appreciated when being looked at for sixthform and uni. It isn't so much about the actual knowledge but your ability and drive.

Mate.

Triple science gives you 3 GCSEs - not 9. You get one for chemistry, one for physics and one for biology. Triple science is called triple science for a reason. You do 3 sciences. In total you get 3 GCSES. At my school you do 9 GCSEs in total...

If they dont care about the subject and only the grade then why would it increase your chance of being accepted?

Triple science may slightly increase your chance of being accepted at very prestigious sixth forms - certainly not the one at your school or a local college / sixth form unless you live in the posh parts of London :P

If they wanted to know about your ability / drive they would want to know about things outside of school etc. Considering at a lot of schools triple science is compulsory, being forced to do it doesn't show 'ability' or 'drive'. They won't know if you had to do it or not.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Mate.

Triple science gives you 3 GCSEs - not 9. You get one for chemistry, one for physics and one for biology.

If they dont care about the subject and only the grade then why would it increase your chance of being accepted?

Triple science may slightly increase your chance of being accepted at very prestigious sixth forms - certainly not the one at your school or a local college / sixth form unless you live in the posh parts of London :P

Spoiler

Ok I'm tired and can't be bothered so I'm only going to comment on the number of gcses triple science has. I do triple and I know it has 9, 3 for each science. If you don't believe me then just google it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ok I'm tired and can't be bothered so I'm only going to comment on the number of gcses triple science has. I do triple and I know it has 9, 3 for each science. If you don't believe me then just google it.

Yeah, I did.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 00.07.10.png
Yeah, I did.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 00.07.10.png

Note the date.
Note the date.

It hasn't changed.

I'm going to make a thread on here and see what people say as nothing is in date lmao.

I will link it here
It hasn't changed.

I'm going to make a thread on here and see what people say as nothing is in date lmao.

I will link it here

That was from 7 years ago. The new 2018 course is harder and triple science has 9 gcses.
That was from 7 years ago. The new 2018 course is harder and triple science has 9 gcses.

The course has changed.

The amount of GCSEs you get hasn't.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5195188&p=76060560#post76060560 wait for people to reply
B) Thats pretty obvious.

They have three papers per subject sure, but they don't count for three GCSEs each that would be soooo ridiculous!

My hardest GCSE was French by a mile. I mean admittedly I didn't try particularly hard so perhaps if I had tried at French I might have scraped an A but I just found the writing and the speaking so hard. I didn't mind listening or the reading because you at least had some level of information in front of you to formulate an answer with. Would 100% be the only GCSE I wouldn't want to sit again now.

Original post by simplytheworst
They have three papers per subject sure, but they don't count for three GCSEs each that would be soooo ridiculous!

My hardest GCSE was French by a mile. I mean admittedly I didn't try particularly hard so perhaps if I had tried at French I might have scraped an A but I just found the writing and the speaking so hard. I didn't mind listening or the reading because you at least had some level of information in front of you to formulate an answer with. Would 100% be the only GCSE I wouldn't want to sit again now.

See?? 1 exam paper does not equal 1 GCSE
The course has changed.

The amount of GCSEs you get hasn't.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5195188&p=76060560#post76060560 wait for people to reply

I have done more research and it would appear I got a tad mixed up. You do 3 papers for each science making 9 total papers not gcses. However it does still account for 5 total gcses. I admit the mix up on my part, must have misheard my teacher.
I have done more research and it would appear I got a tad mixed up. You do 3 papers for each science making 9 total papers not gcses. However it does still account for 5 total gcses. I admit the mix up on my part, must have misheard my teacher.

You're almost there but still not quite right - it counts for three GCSEs (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). You do not get GCSEs in 'Science' or 'Additional Science' unless you take only single or double science.

It only counts for 5 GCSEs if your school enters you for tripe AND core + additional (I think) But then again the core + additional wouldn't really count to sixth forms etc as you would have done triple - the same thing in more depth pretty much
The subject that gave me hell was history.
Original post by simplytheworst
You're almost there but still not quite right - it counts for three GCSEs (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). You do not get GCSEs in 'Science' or 'Additional Science' unless you take only single or double science.

No you definetly get 5 in triple. I've done my research and checked the math based on how many gcses I am doing

Quick Reply

Latest