The Student Room Group

URGENT-Got elite sixth form offers.What now?

Scroll to see replies

I actually attend Dulwich College currently, if you have any questions let me know :smile:
Original post by JanPtacin
Hey guys my name is Ján Ptačin, and I got 4 elite sixth form offers staring in Septembre 2018. Id be a Slovak international student. All of the offers include scholarships which I needed, however the last one is 80%.
I am looking for a school which would prepare me the best for Economics application to Cambridge.

My offered A-levels are:
1)Mathematics
2)Economics
3)Chemistry
4)Furthet Mathematics

the offers are:
1)Dulwich college (London)
2)Cardiff Sixth Form College (Cardiff)
3)Concord College (Shrewsbury)
4)Earlscliffe college (Folkestone,Kent)-80% scholarship offer.

Please, please I have time until monday to decide, so please help me with your experience (any inputs highly valued).

Would highly appreciate any quick and relevant response ! Cheers, Jan.

Well, Cardiff Sixth Form does have the best A Level results in the UK..
Reply 22
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Well, Cardiff Sixth Form does have the best A Level results in the UK..

But does that mean they are the best schools in the UK ? I mean for their A-level ranking they should send way more people to Oxbridge.. (St Pauls does, Westminster does... )!

And well what are you going to achieve when you take 100 South East Asians and add 50 top students from around the world ? ? ....

Moreover, when you give them a 50 hours a week working week ...

If u have a different opinion, please, please tell me.
Reply 23
Original post by Gabzinc
I actually attend Dulwich College currently, if you have any questions let me know :smile:

Would you mind giving me some of your social media so that I can ask some more questions and not spam this thread ? :biggrin:

In any case, what year are you in ? what unions are you in ? how is critical thinking ? how about A-level plus and the Liberal studies in remove ?

Are you satisfied overally ? And would you consider yourself to be more kind of academically highly ambitious student or rather more sporty ?

Overally, what would you say that is the biggest advantage and disadvantage of being an Alleynian ?

Man would appreciate it if u could answer shortly :smile: ! :smile:
But does that mean they are the best schools in the UK ? I mean for their A-level ranking they should send way more people to Oxbridge.. (St Pauls does, Westminster does... )!

And well what are you going to achieve when you take 100 South East Asians and add 50 top students from around the world ? ? ....

Moreover, when you give them a 50 hours a week working week ...

If u have a different opinion, please, please tell me.

A lot of them don't end up staying here, maybe that's why they don't go to Oxbridge?

A competitive environment for you to work hard.

50 hours is akin to a full time job, I mean it's a boarding school after all (you live in the school at all times during the term). So it's not surprising, they do give you days off on weekends for other extracurriculars.
Would you mind giving me some of your social media so that I can ask some more questions and not spam this thread ? :biggrin:

In any case, what year are you in ? what unions are you in ? how is critical thinking ? how about A-level plus and the Liberal studies in remove ?

Are you satisfied overally ? And would you consider yourself to be more kind of academically highly ambitious student or rather more sporty ?

Overally, what would you say that is the biggest advantage and disadvantage of being an Alleynian ?

Man would appreciate it if u could answer shortly :smile: ! :smile:

I actually typed up an answer to this, but accidentally clicked off the page and it was all gone :frown:

Unfortunately I cannot give you any of my social media because it would make it very easy to find out exactly who I am (sorry!) :frown: However feel free to send me PMs.

I'm in Year 12 and I'm currently (and surprisingly) not part of any society/union, mainly because I can't be asked to give up a lunch time. If I was bothered though I would attend the societies for all the three sciences, they interest me the most and they have pretty interesting talks (or so I've heard).

I don't do Critical Thinking but I've heard its lecture based and is really hard/confusing. However there exists some that enjoy the course. If you want to do Critical Thinking, you have to give up Liberal Studies which I think is one of the best times of the Dulwich week :/

I'm not the hugest fan of A-Level Plus cause it's the reason why we can only study 3 A Levels (4 if you do Further Maths) and I find it to generally be a drag (as in, there is not much point to it). I would rather have a free/study period than go to A-Level Plus to be frank, although it is kind of cool to have a subject where you don't have exams/ homework (called 'prep' over here) and can kind of just sit back and learn.
Same goes for liberal studies, but I sort of prefer Liberal Studies since the courses are loads more 'fun', and of course, its the only time in the week we meet girls :colone:

To be 100% honest I am super satisfied with the Dulwich experience. Before Dulwich I went to a state school and so can compare what life is like in two environments. Definitely prefer life at Dulwich. That may be because I am more of an academic student and there are loads of opportunities here (although DC definitely caters to those that like sport, we have incredible rugby players here), but I think it will be a great place for most people. However if you like to mess around a bit (understandable seeing as we are at school for the majority of childhood) I wouldn't say this is the best place, as most students here are well behaved and focused. We also have a great bit of *ahem* 'banter', and our head of Sixth Form is a legend.

Best bits of Dulwich: Lessons are super fun, with sizes of about 13 people which allows teachers to get to know you a little better; Lunch is really good (imo); teachers actually care about you, some are quite funny; atmosphere is incredible - not just walking into the school and seeing the building but being able to talk with anyone without fear of rejection (seriously, here for some reason some people are super comfortable with people butting into other's conversations (not private touchy ones) and I love it); Liberal Studies; the various non academic events here

Not so great bits: A Level Plus; that's all I can think of :/

If you have any more questions feel free to post them here or PM me. I can guarantee I'll be free but I'll try to respond

:smile:
I attend Concord college and I recommend it. It is a very pressured environement to be in with exams every Saturday but the college life makes up for the amount of work we are given. It is culturally enriching
Reply 27
Where did you end up going to?

Quick Reply

Latest