The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Postgraduate applicants 2018/2019

Hi all,

It seems there isn't a thread for postgrads yet.

Got an offer for MA in International Relations (general) and likely to attend.

Good luck all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Durham_
Hi all,

Good luck all!

Hi! How long did it take for them to make a decision on your application (if you don't mind my asking)?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
In my case and because I had an offer for last year, they knew me already and it took 3 days (even though) I did not defer! It was super quick! Did you apply there too?
Reply 3
Original post by Durham_
In my case and because I had an offer for last year, they knew me already and it took 3 days (even though) I did not defer! It was super quick! Did you apply there too?

Wow, that's quick! Congrats!

Yep, I applied for MA in literature about 4 weeks ago, but my last reference was sent in last week :s-smilie: I just hope they started reviewing my app before that last reference, as I got an offer from Glasgow that wants a reply in 3 weeks...
Reply 4
Original post by Durham_
Hi all,

Good luck all!

International student here. I also received an offer for an MA in International Relations. I'm am, however, awaiting feedback from Edinburgh and Cambridge. I'm not sure if I would firm Durham.

If I may ask, what made you decide on Durham? I've heard mixed things about the SGIA but otherwise the university itself seems great.
Reply 5
Original post by Saffer
International student here. I also received an offer for an MA in International Relations. I'm am, however, awaiting feedback from Edinburgh and Cambridge. I'm not sure if I would firm Durham.

If I may ask, what made you decide on Durham? I've heard mixed things about the SGIA but otherwise the university itself seems great.

I have accepted but if any other school gives me funding I will decline. I did an MSc there a few years ago and it was great. From the department itself I did not hear anything that bad but would be good to get your insight.

The course itself looks good and I know the university so it all plays out. Did you get feedback from an undergraduate or postgrad at the SGIA?
Reply 6
Original post by Durham_
I have accepted but if any other school gives me funding I will decline. I did an MSc there a few years ago and it was great. From the department itself I did not hear anything that bad but would be good to get your insight.

The course itself looks good and I know the university so it all plays out. Did you get feedback from an undergraduate or postgrad at the SGIA?

Truth be told, its not that I've heard bad things about the SGIA, but rather, I haven't heard much praise for it. That obviously doesn't mean to say that it is bad in any way. I agree that the course looks interesting, and there are a few faculty members who I would really enjoy working with (supervision).

What college have you decided on? As someone who has previously studied at Durham at a postgraduate level, would you mind sharing some insight into what postgraduate life is like?
Reply 7
I still haven’t decided on any college, only in March that will be possible to do. I’ll go to st cuthberts (where I was before) if I can. I liked the college and the library and will go there again. Met some good people and it was generally a good place to be. It really depends of the level of involvement you want, so I would say pick a college that you think you will get involved and enjoy. Cuths is a good place, laid back!

Durham is also offering a 10% off the tuition for alumni so I can get my fees reduced, which is great!
Reply 8
Hi guys! Just received an offer for MA (taught) Philosophy. Anyone know anything about the department?
Reply 9
Original post by geodimi
Hi guys! Just received an offer for MA (taught) Philosophy. Anyone know anything about the department?

Congrats! I've heard some very good things about Durham's philosophy department, with many grouping it with the likes of Oxbridge, St Andrews, and Bristol.
Hi there!

Any international PhD applicants? I have applied about two weeks ago. I also found it quite interesting that the other postgraduate threads were full of messages, but there was not any thread for Durham. Would that be only about the popularity of some universities or limited funding opportunities?
Reply 11
Original post by Saffer
Congrats! I've heard some very good things about Durham's philosophy department, with many grouping it with the likes of Oxbridge, St Andrews, and Bristol.

Thank you! really excited to go there :smile: I was thinking of applying to University College and St. Chads, do you guys know if they are suitable for philosophy students?
Reply 12
Original post by geodimi
Do you guys know if they are suitable for philosophy students?

Hmmm not too sure about philosophy in particular. Have you looked to see where the department is in relation to both colleges? I have yet to choose a college, but am looking for something self-catered and with an en suite.
Reply 13
Original post by Saffer
Hmmm not too sure about philosophy in particular. Have you looked to see where the department is in relation to both colleges? I have yet to choose a college, but am looking for something self-catered and with an en suite.

From what I know, University College offers ensuite, self-catered studios at New Kepier Court for 2018. Have a look into that if you are interested. The accommodation is roughly 15 minutes on foot from the college. Haven't had the chance to look at other college's accommodations yet. But have heard there are private student accommodations as well where you can find ensuite rooms with shared kitchens nearer to departments.
Hi All!

I've accepted my offer in M.Sc Islamic Finance & Mgmt, anyone going for the same course?

And have anyone tried to search for non-college accomodation? getting some insight will be nice, never been to Durham all my life.
Reply 15
Original post by RandhyNugroho
Hi All!

I've accepted my offer in M.Sc Islamic Finance & Mgmt, anyone going for the same course?

And have anyone tried to search for non-college accomodation? getting some insight will be nice, never been to Durham all my life.

Congratulations on your acceptance. As far as I know, each student has to be a member of a college. However, that doesn't mean you have to live in college accommodation per se.

Have a look at Unite, Universal Student Living, and Fresh Student Living. They offer some nice independent accommodation.
Original post by Saffer
Congratulations on your acceptance. As far as I know, each student has to be a member of a college. However, that doesn't mean you have to live in college accommodation per se.

Have a look at Unite, Universal Student Living, and Fresh Student Living. They offer some nice independent accommodation.

Thanks! I've seen it and it's seems very comfy for living, do you know the basics of choosing accomodation? Will there be any help from Durham and should I wait for the college allocation process before choosing accomodation?

Ustinov sounds like an ideal preference since its consist of the postgrads only, but is it common for the postgrad to choose other college?
Original post by geodimi
From what I know, University College offers ensuite, self-catered studios at New Kepier Court for 2018. Have a look into that if you are interested. The accommodation is roughly 15 minutes on foot from the college. Haven't had the chance to look at other college's accommodations yet. But have heard there are private student accommodations as well where you can find ensuite rooms with shared kitchens nearer to departments.

I've checked the New Kepier Court and they told me that it is already fully leased by the Durham Uni for 2018/2019 academic year

Wow..
Reply 18
I've checked the New Kepier Court and they told me that it is already fully leased by the Durham Uni for 2018/2019 academic year

Wow..

I think New Kepier Court leases its accommodation to University College for its postgraduate students.

Ustinov sounds like an ideal preference since its consist of the postgrads only, but is it common for the postgrad to choose other college?

Yes, I would say it seems common for postgrad students to choose colleges other than Ustinov. For me personally, I would rather want to be around a mix of students (undergrad and postgrad) rather than simply postgrad.
Reply 19
I'm an offer holder for MA International Relations (Middle East) and a current Durham/SGIA undergrad (BA Politics). I'm happy to answer any questions about Durham/SGIA for non-Durham students who've applied so feel free to send them my way :smile:

Good luck to all who have applied or will be applying soon and congrats to those with offers!

Quick Reply

Latest