The Student Room Group

Best unis to study UX/HCI

What are the best unis in the UK to study UX Design/Human-Computer Interaction? I am looking for a programme/university that would be valuable in regards of future career prospects.

Would you recommend a Computer Science, Cognitive Science or a Design degree for a career in UX research and design?

I have been looking at Nottingham, York and Loughborough - which one would be the best choice for career prospects, or would you recommend some other unis instead?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Evania
What are the best unis in the UK to study UX Design/Human-Computer Interaction? I am looking for a programme/university that would be valuable in regards of future career prospects.

Would you recommend a Computer Science, Cognitive Science or a Design degree for a career in UX research and design?

I have been looking at Nottingham, York and Loughborough - which one would be the best choice for career prospects, or would you recommend some other unis instead?

Thanks in advance!

My wife did her MSc in Human Centred Systems at City. Everyone who wanted a job after the course got one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
My wife did her MSc in Human Centred Systems at City. Everyone who wanted a job after the course got one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the info!

Do you have a hunch whether the employers value a Computer Science or Design degree more in the UX field? So many options :smile:
Original post by Evania
Thanks for the info!

Do you have a hunch whether the employers value a Computer Science or Design degree more in the UX field? So many options :smile:

Both are relevant, it just depends on your own skills. You can come at the subject from different angles. Some people on her course had a first degree in ergonomics, which was useful when considering physical devices.
If you're looking outside of London, York is certainly one to consider. Loughborough is sadly not the leader it used to be, thanks to a number of strange organisational decisions. Nottingham is also excellent, but is more focussed on the computer science side of HCI. In general, the CS side doesn't give the same range of potential jobs afterwards.

I used to be the Head of the Centre of HCI Design at City - we certainly had excellent job prospects (the last thing I knew, the best in the UK), but many of the degrees do well. The team at York are strong, and Paul Cairns is a genuinely friendly and thoughtful lecturer, who I've heard consistently positive things about.

All the best,

George
Thanks George B!
Reply 6
Original post by gbuchanan
If you're looking outside of London, York is certainly one to consider. Loughborough is sadly not the leader it used to be, thanks to a number of strange organisational decisions. Nottingham is also excellent, but is more focussed on the computer science side of HCI. In general, the CS side doesn't give the same range of potential jobs afterwards.

I used to be the Head of the Centre of HCI Design at City - we certainly had excellent job prospects (the last thing I knew, the best in the UK), but many of the degrees do well. The team at York are strong, and Paul Cairns is a genuinely friendly and thoughtful lecturer, who I've heard consistently positive things about.

All the best,

George

I’m sorry, I didn’t notice your answer until now. Thank you so much for your precious help George! :smile:
Original post by Evania

Thanks in advance!

Hello Evania,

Have you heard of Ravensbourne? We are London based, nested by the o2 arena and will be offering a new course UX / UI that derives from a course I'm doing now Design & Coding, year 2.

In my course which is still both Product Design and Coding heavy, we are learning a huge number of aspects related to UX, including an entire unit dedicated to the study of UX and developing a concept for an AR application to solve a city based problem, with other units requiring the use of it too.

Although my course is not fully based on UX, but will be starting from next year, I am specializing in UX and interaction design.
I have worked on external projects related to UX (driver less car gesture control). Many of our current tutors are practicing interactive designers that have installations across the world in museums / festivals, and have a lot of experience in the UX industry as they either work / worked in it, as well as the study of element of play, which is important for perfecting both digital and physical designs.

Here is a list of some of our lecturers:

Nick Rothewell (Course leader):
http://cassiel.com/

Maria Turk (UX designer):
http://www.ihadaninkling.com/

Tine Beck (interactive designer, PLAY)
http://www.tinebech.com/Artwork/

Helen Steer (Kit maker, Book writer, Designer):
https://doitkits.com/about/

Hope this helps! The above 4 people I mentioned are incredible tutors that are at the top of their productive fields.
Come visit one of our open days!

Michail :biggrin:
If you're looking outside of London, York is certainly one to consider. Loughborough is sadly not the leader it used to be, thanks to a number of strange organisational decisions

Hi
Are you saying this about CS at Loughborough in general or for HCI?
York and Loughborough are on my son's shortlist but he is reluctant to visit York as it's a lang way from where we live, should he reconsider? Thanks
Jo
Reply 9

All the best,

George

I can't let this comment go unchallenged. UX design is alive and well at Loughborough with very high employment for our graduates, great links with industry and the opportunity to develop a strong portfolio from projects covering user experience design, usability and service design. HCI Design at City, is indeed a great course but those looking to study outside London, Loughborough is a fantastic choice.

Quick Reply

Latest