The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds Biology Interview Help

Hi I've got an interview coming up with Leeds uni Biology department. It's the only uni that's asked for an interview before deciding whether or not to give me an offer, so I'm really not sure what to expect.

Does anyone know what kinds of questions they generally ask, like if they'll be more along the lines of 'why do you want to study biology at uni/ what do you want to do after uni' or whether they're likely to ask in-depth biology questions that you'd expect more of Oxbridge interviews? My careers teacher sort of freaked me out by giving me a list of mock questions that included stuff like 'how would you propose to cure cancer' and while I know they're not expecting you to be able to give a legitimate solution, I wouldn't even know where to begin if they sprung that on me.

Also if anyone's got any advice on effective preparation for science degree interviews that'd be super helpful! x

Scroll to see replies

Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Thanks!
Is this an interview as part of an applicant day? Because I had an interview in an applicant day with a bunch of other events (e.g. tour, practical) for Microbiology the other week so if it's similar to that I can give a hand! (If I'm not too late!)
Reply 4
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Is this an interview as part of an applicant day? Because I had an interview in an applicant day with a bunch of other events (e.g. tour, practical) for Microbiology the other week so if it's similar to that I can give a hand! (If I'm not too late!)

hi i'm going to the applicant visit day tomorrow for biochemistry, i'd appreciate any advice you have and what the interview was like. have you heard back from them yet?
Original post by emanobop
hi i'm going to the applicant visit day tomorrow for biochemistry, i'd appreciate any advice you have and what the interview was like. have you heard back from them yet?

Just enjoy the day is the best advice I can give! It's seriously just a chat with a lecturer and it's really chilled. He asked me things like why leeds, why that course, any work experience and then let me ask any questions I had. It's just a nice 10 minute chat so don't worry!

I heard back within 2 days with an offer which I have now firmed but don't worry if it takes longer to get the offer!

Good luck and I hope it goes well.
Reply 6
Just enjoy the day is the best advice I can give! It's seriously just a chat with a lecturer and it's really chilled. He asked me things like why leeds, why that course, any work experience and then let me ask any questions I had. It's just a nice 10 minute chat so don't worry!

I heard back within 2 days with an offer which I have now firmed but don't worry if it takes longer to get the offer!

Yh mine's also part of an applicant visit day, but that's such a relief to hear thanks so much!
Reply 7
Hey, I have a Bio interview coming up too (mine's in March). From what I gather is that if you've gotten an interview you're more than likely to get a place; it's more of a way for the university to get to know you and entice you into firming them rather than being the deciding factor on whether you get an offer or not. Best of luck!
Reply 8

Thanks for the advice! It went really well. I just got my offer yesterday! So excited!
Had mine today, a phone interview, it was basically a friendly conversation. Be able to talk about your personal statement, why you want to study the course, and why leeds and youll do fine
Please explain
Reply 11
Hey, i have my interview (as part of the applicant day) on Wednesday and i was wondering what is appropriate to wear?
Original post by KT.2000
Hey, i have my interview (as part of the applicant day) on Wednesday and i was wondering what is appropriate to wear?

Just wondering how it went? Any info about the interview itself and what people were wearing would be great thanks
Reply 13
Original post by charlieonthemap
Just wondering how it went? Any info about the interview itself and what people were wearing would be great thanks

The day went well and I heard back within 2 days about my offer. The interview seems daunting but it’s literally 10 mins long and they ask you questions like why do you want to go to Leeds? And why did you pick that course? And any relevant work experience. I wore casual clothes and most other people did too. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Original post by KT.2000
The day went well and I heard back within 2 days about my offer. The interview seems daunting but it’s literally 10 mins long and they ask you questions like why do you want to go to Leeds? And why did you pick that course? And any relevant work experience. I wore casual clothes and most other people did too. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Congratulations! Thanks this helps a lot:smile:. Would a hoodie be considered too casual?
Reply 15
Congratulations! Thanks this helps a lot:smile:. Would a hoodie be considered too casual?

Thanks! Personally I didn’t wear one but other people were :smile: What course have you applied for?
Original post by KT.2000
Thanks! Personally I didn’t wear one but other people were :smile: What course have you applied for?

I have applied for Biology. I've had an interview with Manchester before but they had a lot more information on their website about everything. What course was yours with?
Reply 17
I have applied for Biology. I've had an interview with Manchester before but they had a lot more information on their website about everything. What course was yours with?

Sorry I didn’t see this until now. I applied for medical microbiology and Leeds was my only interview. How did yours go?
Reply 18
I had an interview for chemistry in leeds. I don't know if this will be a similar experience to biology interviews but my interview was more like an open day.
It was more of leeds staff trying to sell the university to us. We had a tour of the uni and of the department, we had demonstrations and food. We then had a one-to-one chat with a lecturer in their office and talked about our work experience and our skills.
While all this was happening, there were a number of current students guiding us answering questions we had. I asked one guy for some interview tips and he said ' ask the lecturer about their work'.
My one-to-one interview started with the lecturer asking about what i had been learning in chemistry and ended with the lecturer enthusiastically talking about his work.
Judging from my friends who are at leeds and those who i know have had interviews, i think the subject interviews are very similar and quite relaxed.
I would advise you to read through your personal statement because whoever is interviewing you will draw out questions from it.
It's your first interview so it feels stressful but don't worry! Enjoy the the day !
Sos haven't been on this in a while. Mine went all good interview was chill. Anyone wondering literally as long as you can hold a conversation and are predicted relatively good grades you will be calm.
Original post by KT.2000
Sorry I didn’t see this until now. I applied for medical microbiology and Leeds was my only interview. How did yours go?

Quick Reply

Latest