The Student Room Group

will i get into a russell group uni.

Scroll to see replies

Yea you can
Reply 21
Original post by SilverLipa
That is just disheartening, you haven’t even answered their question, so your aim does seem to be to put this person down.
You shall get all A*s if you put the effort in.Aim high and try hard!

Alright snowflake. OP even agreed with me. I have answered the question, wether you think its harsh or not its the reality. Time will tell. I hope the OP does well. Just who knows as A-Levels are different to GCSE's are they not?
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Tbh, it's not common knowledge among the general public about which good unis aren't in the RG :biggrin:

That's one of the points I make in various ways on here. Pointing out, time after time, that RG unis are not the ONLY good unis in the country. What makes me really annoyed is when I hear that the source of such garbage is teachers, who should know better.
Original post by tom123h456
I got a 4 in English language but a 8 in maths

Your English Language might rule out a few unis, even for a STEM degree. For example, Imperial want a 6 for all their courses, However, you should have a choice of good unis.
Original post by ageshallnot
That's one of the points I make in various ways on here. Pointing out, time after time, that RG unis are not the ONLY good unis in the country. What makes me really annoyed is when I hear that the source of such garbage is teachers, who should know better.

I think most think the unis you've listed are in the RG anyway, haha.
Reply 25
Probably. But you have absolutely no chance of getting into St Andrews, Bath, Lancaster, Surrey, Loughborough, UEA...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely disgaree, my friend had worse GCSE grades than what he has and was predicted AAA and got 3 offers from Russel Group Unis. He is currently studying Engineering at Lancaster. His GCSE's are easily good enough to get into a Russel Group, just depends what your predicted grades are and the standard of your personal statement.
I think most think the unis you've listed are in the RG anyway, haha.

None of the universities I listed are in the Russell Group, which rather proves my point...
Original post by JoeeA
Completely disgaree, my friend had worse GCSE grades than what he has and was predicted AAA and got 3 offers from Russel Group Unis. He is currently studying Engineering at Lancaster. His GCSE's are easily good enough to get into a Russel Group, just depends what your predicted grades are and the standard of your personal statement.

If you read all my posts in this thread you might understand what I'm getting at.
Yeah definitely. Somewhere like Cardiff you could definitely get in with those grades.
Original post by tom123h456
My gcse are 3a*, 2a, b 4,5 and 8
I think I will get something like aaa in alevel
I want to do a STEM degree
I don't do anything amazing

Why are you rejecting non-RG unis? There are some great unis which are not part of this self-selected 'club'.

Which degree are you looking at?
Reply 30
If you read all my posts in this thread you might understand what I'm getting at.

I understand the point you are getting at, but in my opinion it is rather irrelevant to the initial inquiry. I still disagree with your statement that he has absolutely no chance of getting offers from the universities you have listed.
Reply 31
Some Russell group unis require 2As and a B or 2 Bs and an A so it’s pretty easy to get in and if you work a little bit harder you may think of applying to oxbridge!
Original post by JoeeA
I understand the point you are getting at, but in my opinion it is rather irrelevant to the initial inquiry. I still disagree with your statement that he has absolutely no chance of getting offers from the universities you have listed.

It's sarcasm FFS!!! So many people on here post threads about getting into the Russel (sic) Group, thinking that those unis are automatically the best when they aren't.
None of the universities I listed are in the Russell Group, which rather proves my point...

Teachers use "RG" as a shortcut for prestigious university. I'm sure in reality they just want students to attend a good university.
Teachers use "RG" as a shortcut for prestigious university. I'm sure in reality they just want students to attend a good university.

Lazy and innacurate teachers perhaps. I've seen schools say in their publicity something like 'Last year 75% if our upper sixth pupils gained entry to prestigious Russell Group universities'. This makes unthinking people assume that non-RG unis aren't good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lazy and innacurate teachers perhaps. I've seen schools say in their publicity something like 'Last year 75% if our upper sixth pupils gained entry to prestigious Russell Group universities'. This makes unthinking people assume that non-RG unis aren't good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it a massive loss? If they are unthinking then it's probably no real consequence to the non-RG university - assuming they can get all the fees they can from students (which those you listed can).
Is it a massive loss? If they are unthinking then it's probably no real consequence to the non-RG university - assuming they can get all the fees they can from students (which those you listed can).

If you don't think, what's the point of going to university?
If you don't think, what's the point of going to university?

Get access to graduate jobs.

University can be completed to a 2:1 standard with solely rote learning, rather than true application.

Quite right, there is no evidence to suggest RG universities are even that great. Aside from Oxbridge, one study found that all the other RG uni's could not even be considered "elite". The RG thing is more a case of successfully marketing. The study also identified 13 other universities that sat in the 2nd tier along with the RG uni's (minus Oxbridge, which were 1st tier).
its not about books its about how good you are overall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending