The Student Room Group
I mean 3 minutes is a long time to listen to a baby crying. She needs to respect others.
Conflicting statements since it says she was asked to leave and the friend is quoted as saying if they asked for her to step out to settle it then come back it would have been okay. The cafe says it did just ask her to step out for a minute to see if it would calm down, but she choose to leave completely instead.

Awkward situation tbf.
Christ on a cupcake. I know getting offended and complaining has become part of British culture, buy soft do you have to be to complain about a baby crying?
I've not read the article but if a cafe is child friendly i.e. has high chairs and a kids menu, then expect children in there. don't expect a quiet place.

I have taken my kids in costa when baby's but if they become unsettled then I leave as I don't see them as a child friendly place (some are though)
Original post by Sulfolobus
Christ on a cupcake. I know getting offended and complaining has become part of British culture, buy soft do you have to be to complain about a baby crying?

3 minutes is a long time to listen to continuous crying.
Original post by RuthieG101
I've not read the article but if a cafe is child friendly i.e. has high chairs and a kids menu, then expect children in there. don't expect a quiet place.

I have taken my kids in costa when baby's but if they become unsettled then I leave as I don't see them as a child friendly place (some are though)

High chairs are irrelevant. The cafe only asked her to go outside and get the baby to calm down. That is perfectly reasonable.
Original post by Andrew97
3 minutes is a long time to listen to continuous crying.

Its not that long, sometimes babies take a little time to settle.

If we are talking 15 minutes plus, where it is becoming clear the baby isn' going to cooperate or the mother is showing a distinct lack of effort to calm it then you can start getting pissed of about it.
I wasn't commenting on the article (my first words were I'd not read it).

I'm just saying my experience as a mum. other customers cannot complain (imo) if the cafe is a family friendly cafe
Reply 9
Original post by Andrew97
High chairs are irrelevant. The cafe only asked her to go outside and get the baby to calm down. That is perfectly reasonable.

To be fair the Cafe has the right to ask anyone on the premises to leave. Wether you like it or not you respect the decision and leave you're not entitle to be there if you're told to leave. It was only temporarily too, to make the baby calm down. I don't get the fuss of babies crying and everyone complaining. If it were a drunk guy shouting and swearing not many people would complain let alone tell him to shut up lol.
I wasn't commenting on the article (my first words were I'd not read it).

I'm just saying my experience as a mum. other customers cannot complain (imo) if the cafe is a family friendly cafe

Just because I go to a child friendly cafe doesn’t mean I want to hear a baby cry though does it?
no but you should expect it to have children in there.
long gone are the days where children should be seen and not heard.

I've found that the people who don't approve are not parents themselves and if they want to eat/have a coffee in quiet, go somewhere te mothers aren't as they have right too. and babies cry
no but you should expect it to have children in there.
long gone are the days where children should be seen and not heard.

I've found that the people who don't approve are not parents themselves and if they want to eat/have a coffee in quiet, go somewhere te mothers aren't as they have right too. and babies cry

To be clear, I haven’t got a problem with a child being in a cafe, or even being a bit chatty. Everybody is. But a crying baby is a loud and horrible sound and I think popping outside to calm them down is just being respectful.
The Cafe.

1. They're the cafe owner, they can do what they like with people on their premises.
2. The TV and press have all started using the word "banned" and "banning babies" when in fact, the owner politely asked the woman to take her baby outside to calm the baby down. She was told to leave the cafe temporarily seeing as many parents like to do **** all when their kid is acting out or when their baby is crying.
3. If you're happy to let your baby scream and cry and ignore it and not think about others around you, then you deserve to be told to leave.
4. A lady on This Morning made a point that you may be used to your baby's crying, but everyone else isn't, so it's not so easy for them to ignore it. A piercing scream from a baby can give me an instant headache, but I wouldn't complain if I was in a play group, so having a baby brought into a predominantly adult environment is a little annoying.
5. Sounds like the mother took offence (surprise!) and decided to share it like she's been outcast-ed and discriminated against rather than considering other people in the cafe. One woman in a comment suggested that the entire cafe, except the mother, should've been told to leave. :lol:
6. There's plenty of cafes around that are more accommodating to children, such as Mother Care. Go there, rather than a small, cramped hipster cafe. Not everyone loves babies and wants them everywhere. There needs to be more child free cafes and restaurants.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hannxm

3. If you're happy to let your baby scream and cry and ignore it and not think about others around you, then you deserve to be told to leave.

Key point.

I find it really weird that people can sit there and not feel deeply uncomfortable when they know they're causing a disturbance to other people, while in someone else's establishment.

The mother shouldn't have to be asked to step outside. That should be her automatic response.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Key point.

I find it really weird that people can sit there and not feel deeply uncomfortable when they know they're causing a disturbance to other people, while in someone else's establishment.

The mother shouldn't have to be asked to step outside. That should be her automatic response.

100% agree!
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Key point.

Exactly. My mum would always take me outside if I started crying, it’s showing respect to others. Furthermore if she was worried about her food, any reasonable person in the queue would keep an eye out for it while she is attending to the baby.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending