The Student Room Group

Is 8 GCSES enough

im currently in year 11 and am very close to dropping French GCSE as i am finding it very hard and would like to focus on getting higher in other subjects. I am doing double science, and predicted to pass all my GCSES, im aiming for As/Bs and maybe the odd A*. Is a language GCSE really that important to get into uni etc? Im looking to take 3 A levels and then go on to university. I am most likely to drop French so is 8 GCSES okay?
im currently in year 11 and am very close to dropping French GCSE as i am finding it very hard and would like to focus on getting higher in other subjects. I am doing double science, and predicted to pass all my GCSES, im aiming for As/Bs and maybe the odd A*. Is a language GCSE really that important to get into uni etc? Im looking to take 3 A levels and then go on to university. I am most likely to drop French so is 8 GCSES okay?
Reply 2
Honestly once you do A levels your GCSEs won't be as important as you think they are so don't worry. I'm in year 12 and the main thing you need is to pass Maths & English Language and to get good grades in the subjects you want to do at A-level. So obviously if you don't want to do French A level then its not that bad if you drop it. I did French gcse and omg I hated it, yes it looks good for university but its not a major thing. Hope this helps.
unless you were planning to apply for ucl then go for it
Reply 4
yeah bro whatever makes you happy, gotta do what works for you
Original post by Zoe Lea
Honestly once you do A levels your GCSEs won't be as important as you think they are so don't worry. I'm in year 12 and the main thing you need is to pass Maths & English Language and to get good grades in the subjects you want to do at A-level. So obviously if you don't want to do French A level then its not that bad if you drop it. I did French gcse and omg I hated it, yes it looks good for university but its not a major thing. Hope this helps.

Okay thank you for your help!! ahah yep French sucks its my worst subject
Reply 6
I'd say stick with it but don't revise it. You can still manage a C without working hard.
I only did 8 GCSEs (as did everyone at my school) and it has never been a problem.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
unless you were planning to apply for ucl then go for it

why does it make a difference for ucl?
Original post by pinkboi123
why does it make a difference for ucl?

Hiya, this thread was made in 2018 so you probably won’t get any answers! It’s probably best if you make your own thread here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest