The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades RG university quality?

I know AS/ A- Levels have much greater influence when applying to universities, but I was very intrigued to find out whether my GCSE grades are good enough to compete at the top RG universities, specifically UCL, Durham, Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, KCL and Liverpool.

These are my gcse grades:

So in the A-C grades that would be:

B,B,B,A,A,A,A,A,A*,A*

I know these aren’t the biggest influence but how likely am I to get an offer with these GCSE’s compared to the student who gets an offer from these top RG universities? Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

I got worse than you and got an interview at Oxford and offers from UCL, Durham and RHUL

You'll be fine :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz
I got worse than you and got an interview at Oxford and offers from UCL, Durham and RHUL

What AS and A- Levels did you get? Also what course?
Original post by Noodlzzz

What GCSE’s did you get?
Original post by s.m30
What GCSE’s did you get?

Original post by s.m30
What AS and A- Levels did you get? Also what course?

AAAAAABBBCC

AAAA for AS, A*A*A*a* at A-level

Psychology
i mean you could of looked them up on the website or phone the uni's themselves
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i mean you could of looked them up on the website or phone the uni's themselves

If you aren’t going to be helpful please don’t respond. Thanks. :-)
Original post by s.m30

if you're just going to show of here when it's clearly obvious you will then don't bother posting :smile:
He was being helpful -.-

Original post by s.m30
Reply 9
Original post by s.m30
I know AS/ A- Levels have much greater influence when applying to universities, but I was very intrigued to find out whether my GCSE grades are good enough to compete at the top RG universities, specifically UCL, Durham, Oxbridge, Warwick, LSE, KCL and Liverpool.

For which course?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
if you're just going to show of here when it's clearly obvious you will then don't bother posting :smile:

It’s not clearly obvious. Otherwise why would I ask? I’m not showing off at all. Most people on here have GCSE grades that would make mine look embarrassing. Thanks!
Original post by Doonesbury
For which course?

Law LLB
yeh ik
Definitely, they're decent results. I know a lot of people who got Bs and Cs in sciences and maths because it wasn't their thing but when it came to A levels and they got to focus on subjects they actually enjoyed, they ended up getting As and A*s. These people also got offers from top universities.
Reply 14
Original post by s.m30
Law LLB

Will be fine then. Assuming the rest of your application is on target you should get at least 3 offers and probably more.

Edit: identify the courses you actually want to study, but pay attention to offer rates and spread your risk when you apply:
UCL 20% : https://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/law-3-years-9250-m100-A24-A30
Warwick 54% : https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-warwick-w20/law-4-years-9250-m101
Durham 61% : https://university.which.co.uk/durham-university-d86/law-3-years-9250-m101-A07-H23
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by showaeski
Definitely, they're decent results. I know a lot of people who got Bs and Cs in sciences and maths because it wasn't their thing but when it came to A levels and they got to focus on subjects they actually enjoyed, they ended up getting As and A*s. These people also got offers from top universities.

That’s exactly the story with me! The maths and sciences aren’t my forte but when it comes to subjects like business and history, I’m confident. Thanks so much dude that really helped!
Original post by s.m30
It’s not clearly obvious. Otherwise why would I ask? I’m not showing off at all. Most people on here have GCSE grades that would make mine look embarrassing. Thanks!

well it is , you obviously need good grades to get into law which you have...

and i gave you best advice you can use...
Original post by Doonesbury
Will be fine then. Assuming the rest of your application is on target you should get at least 3 offers and probably more.

Edit, pay attention to offer rates and spread your risk when you apply:
UCL 20% : https://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/law-3-years-9250-m100-A24-A30

Yeah will do thanks.
Reply 18
Original post by s.m30
Yeah will do thanks.

And see my edit :smile:
I got similar grades to you and got offers from 4 RG unis to start studying in September :smile:
As you said, GCSEs aren’t the biggest influencer at all, it’s mainly A-Level grades and extra curricular / work experience things you do :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest