The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Starting Late

Hi guys :smile:

So I've applied to study Computing at Portsmouth starting in September, due to wanting a change in career, however the apprenticeship I'm in ends in November, will there be many issues with starting my first year a few months late?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Battle_Pope

So I've applied to study Computing at Portsmouth starting in September, due to wanting a change in career, however the apprenticeship I'm in ends in November, will there be many issues with starting my first year a few months late?

Thanks

Best is to consult the University. From my experience, try not to at all. I was 2-months late going to an University in Europe and it was a hell of a mess.

Not only was making friends with the class hard (as everyone had already formed their cliques), doing projects were hard and catching up with the work too.

Just try not to if possible. :smile:
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
Original post by cyw1994
Best is to consult the University. From my experience, try not to at all. I was 2-months late going to an University in Europe and it was a hell of a mess.

Not only was making friends with the class hard (as everyone had already formed their cliques), doing projects were hard and catching up with the work too.

Just try not to if possible. :smile:

I have to finish this apprenticeship as they'll make me pay for the course if I don't haha, I already have friends in Portsmouth so it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'm hoping to be able to work online from home before I get to Portsmouth, was just worried about the Uni being funny about it!
Reply 3

I have to finish this apprenticeship as they'll make me pay for the course if I don't haha, I already have friends in Portsmouth so it wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I'm hoping to be able to work online from home before I get to Portsmouth, was just worried about the Uni being funny about it!

I faced the exact same situation (but in different context) as you not too long ago.

I hope the Uni will be cool with it though! Mine was more of a "serious" issue back in Spain.
As I was still serving the military which will end only on November but the course started on September. I took 2-weeks off from the military just to fly over to Spain to start first 2-weeks of the course before flying back to Singapore to complete the military. Then flew back again on November after it ended to continue the University course.

Was a complete nightmare. But my University understands my situation and was really accommodating. But still, it was a struggle for me due to many reasons.

Hope yours will go well! Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by cyw1994
I faced the exact same situation (but in different context) as you not too long ago.

I hope the Uni will be cool with it though! Mine was more of a "serious" issue back in Spain.
As I was still serving the military which will end only on November but the course started on September. I took 2-weeks off from the military just to fly over to Spain to start first 2-weeks of the course before flying back to Singapore to complete the military. Then flew back again on November after it ended to continue the University course.

Was a complete nightmare. But my University understands my situation and was really accommodating. But still, it was a struggle for me due to many reasons.

Hope yours will go well! Best of luck!

That sounds really rough! Glad you got through it and the Uni was accommodating, thanks for the advice :smile:

Thanks

Hello! Hannah from the UoP housing team here. I know your question isn't accommodation-related, but if it helps, please do email our lovely colleagues in the Admissions team for further advice about being a late starter. They can be contacted at [email protected]

Best of luck with the last part of your apprenticeship!
Reply 6
Original post by UoPHousingTeam
Hello! Hannah from the UoP housing team here. I know your question isn't accommodation-related, but if it helps, please do email our lovely colleagues in the Admissions team for further advice about being a late starter. They can be contacted at [email protected]

Best of luck with the last part of your apprenticeship!

Thank you for the advice :smile:

I haven't been given an offer just yet, I was asking as a precaution but I'll definitely email them if I get an offer which hopefully I will!
Thank you for the advice :smile:

I haven't been given an offer just yet, I was asking as a precaution but I'll definitely email them if I get an offer which hopefully I will!

You are most welcome! Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest