The Student Room Group

Mature student - living at home

Hi there, I'm looking to apply for student finance but have read mixed information about mature students. From what I've read is that if your over 25 you are classed as a mature student and even if your living at home your classed as independent. While I'm studying I will be living at home but having to pay rent. On the options are you living on your own or with your parents I am unsure what to put. If I click living with parents I will get less maintenance loans as it suggests? Or should I click on my own as I am independent from my parents but will have to live and pay rent at 'home'. Thanks in advance for your help :smile:
Original post by Ally2703
Hi there, I'm looking to apply for student finance but have read mixed information about mature students. From what I've read is that if your over 25 you are classed as a mature student and even if your living at home your classed as independent. While I'm studying I will be living at home but having to pay rent. On the options are you living on your own or with your parents I am unsure what to put. If I click living with parents I will get less maintenance loans as it suggests? Or should I click on my own as I am independent from my parents but will have to live and pay rent at 'home'. Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

Hi Ally,
As you will be over 25 years old prior to the start of the academic year you will be classed as an independent student, the funding you can receive will be based on your own circumstances (course length, place of study etc).
Students living at their parental home, regardless of whether they are granted independent status, will only receive the parental rate of Maintenance Loan.

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending