The Student Room Group

Would I be a consultant?

In theory, if I did f1 in the uk to receive a full medical degree after university (also in the uk), then i got a place in a residency program in the us (eg. paediatrics), if i came back to the uk after completing residency would i automatically be a consultant or would i have to go through training again?
Reply 1
thanks!! ive always wanted to live in different countries, and california has always been somewhere i wanted it live. ik it'll be a massive challange, but a girl can only try :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
thanks!! ive always wanted to live in different countries, and california has always been somewhere i wanted it live. ik it'll be a massive challange, but a girl can only try :smile:

I don't mean to sound rude, but this sounds a little bit naïve. Americans always put their graduates first and foremost, which means you will have very little choice over your location, so you can't decide to go to California and definitely end up there. You will most likely end up somewhere rural. Additionally you will have to take extra exams to get to the US (and score highly enough on USMLE to get your chosen specialty), and then go through even more formalities upon a return to the UK. It's possible, but a route full of hardships!

If you wanted to move to America full stop, then that's a bit different. But knowing you'll want to come back, just to live in one city for a bit, why oh why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending