The Student Room Group

modulus

sketch y = | x - 1 | + |x + 2|

i got the lines y = 2x - 3, y = -2x +3 , y=3, y = -3 but the book doesn't draw y= -3 and why does the graph look like a squared U shape wouldn't the line y =3 continue?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No, also I'm not sure where you get your y=±1y= \pm 1 from.

That graph has two critical points; x=2x=-2 and x=1x=1

For x<2x<-2 we have x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x and x+2=x2|x+2|=-x-2, so for that region we have y=12xy=-1-2x

For 2<x<1-2<x<1 we have x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x and x+2=x+2|x+2| = x+2, so for that region we have y=3y=3

For x>1x>1 we have x1=x1|x-1|=x-1 and x+2=x+2|x+2|=x+2, so for that region we have y=2x+1y=2x+1

Hence the 'square' U shape.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames

For x<2x<-2 we have x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x and x+2=x2|x+2|=-x-2, so for that region we have y=12xy=-1-2x

For 2<x<1-2<x<1 we have x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x and x+2=x+2|x+2| = x+2, so for that region we have y=3y=3

For x>1x>1 we have x1=x1|x-1|=x-1 and x+2=x+2|x+2|=x+2, so for that region we have y=2x+1y=2x+1

how did you work out the critical points?
Original post by man111111
how did you work out the critical points?

Look at the equation - they are obvious. These are the points where x-1=0 or x+2=0. They’re important because on either side of them, the modulus of the corresponding function can be written without the mod sign.
Reply 4

Do you mind explaining this to me without any short cuts because i still don't understand?
draw the lines on a separate graph without the modulus.
when you draw it with the modulus anything that is y less than zero is now reflected in y=0. this makes all the negative values positive.

e.g. if you had the point (3,-2) the modulus of this point is (3,2).

this is how I understand it.
You could also put the equation into a graphical calculator or software. put it with and without the modulus and it looks like a reflection in the line y=0
Do you mind explaining this to me without any short cuts because i still don't understand?
I would say RDK has already removed all the short cuts.

What is the *first* thing you don't understand in what he's written?

[META: in general, if someone posts a significant chunk of mathematics, it's really unhelpful to just say "I don't understand". Explain what's confusing you, or at least, *exactly* what part of what they posted you don't understand].
Reply 7
Original post by DFranklin
I would say RDK has already removed all the short cuts.

What is the *first* thing you don't understand in what he's written?

[META: in general, if someone posts a significant chunk of mathematics, it's really unhelpful to just say "I don't understand". Explain what's confusing you, or at least, *exactly* what part of what they posted you don't understand].

I do appreciate RDKs help but i've never been taught this method before
when RDK says For we have and . i don't understand why you multiple it with -1 when x is less than -2
Reply 8

y = | x - 1 | + |x + 2|

1) y= -(x-1)+ -(x +2)
2) y = (x-1)+ -(x+2)
3) y= -(x-1)+ (x+2)
4) y= (x-1)+ (x+2)

then i simplified

1) y = -2x-1
2) y= -3
3) y= 3
4) y = 2x+1
I do appreciate RDKs help but i've never been taught this method before
when RDK says For we have and . i don't understand why you multiple it with -1 when x is less than -2
If x < -2 then certainly x-1 < 0 and so |x-1| = 1-x. (Because by the definition of modulus, |y| = -y when y < 0).

Similarly, if x < -2 then x+2 < 0 and so |x-2| = -(x+2).

The basic idea is to break the entire range (<x<-\infty < x < \infty) into subregions where we know the sign of each term inside modulus doesn't change, so in each subregion we can get rid of the modulus signs.

[I wasn't implying you weren't grateful to RDK or anything - simply that he's already broken this down to steps smaller than I'd use actually answering the question in an exam. So you need to specify exactly where your problem is in understanding things (as you've now done)].
Reply 10
If x < -2 then certainly x-1 < 0 and so |x-1| = 1-x. (Because by the definition of modulus, |y| = -y when y < 0).

Similarly, if x < -2 then x+2 < 0 and so |x-2| = -(x+2).

The basic idea is to break the entire range (<x<-\infty < x < \infty) into subregions where we know the sign of each term inside modulus doesn't change, so in each subregion we can get rid of the modulus signs.

[I wasn't implying you weren't grateful to RDK or anything - simply that he's already broken this down to steps smaller than I'd use actually answering the question in an exam. So you need to specify exactly where your problem is in understanding things (as you've now done)].

thanks
For we have and , so for that region we have . why do you multiply by -1 but not
thanks
For we have and , so for that region we have . why do you multiply by -1 but not
|x+2|=-(x+2) only when x+2 < 0.
Reply 12

thanks for your help
Reply 13

how would i sketch y=|x|+|x-1|+|x-2|
Reply 14
Reply 15

why is it -2<x<1 but not -2 x 1

Play the same game as above. Consider the following regions individually:

x<0x<0

0<x<10<x<1

1<x<21<x<2

x>2x>2

...and state for each one whether x=±x|x|=\pm x, x1=±(x1)|x-1|= \pm(x-1) and x2=±(x2)|x-2|=\pm (x-2) before adding them together to get the line to be sketched for the corresponding region. (this is exactly the same recipe as in my prev. answer to the other question)

why is it -2<x<1 but not -2 x 1

The boundary points are trivial and not that important for the analysis of the graph.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Play the same game as above. Consider the following regions individually:

x<0x<0

0<x<10<x<1

1<x<21<x<2

x>2x>2

...and state for each one whether x=±x|x|=\pm x, x1=±(x1)|x-1|= \pm(x-1) and x2=±(x2)|x-2|=\pm (x-2) before adding them together to get the line to be sketched for the corresponding region. (this is exactly the same recipe as in my prev. answer to the other question)

i'm stuck with the inequalities 0<x<1 and 1<x<2 do you mind helping me out with one of them

i'm stuck with the inequalities 0<x<1 and 1<x<2 do you mind helping me out with one of them

For 0<x<10<x<1 we have:

x=x|x| = x
x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x
x2=2x|x-2| = 2-x
Reply 19
For 0<x<10<x<1 we have:

x=x|x| = x
x1=1x|x-1| = 1-x
x2=2x|x-2| = 2-x

why do you multiply x-2 with -1

Quick Reply